Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

Just now, patriotsheatyan said:

Maybe he will fix Dalton? I would give Dalton at least two years without competition to see if Dalton can become elite, if not I would start to look for a replacement to groom in the later rounds in 2021 or 2022.

Dalton will never be Elite

This is just like the 2009 off season - in 2008 Tomlin and Harbaugh were hired, both young comparitively small-name guys. They did well, so in 2009 there was a craze for going for young HC candidates - including Raheem Morris and Josh McDaniels. It didn't end well, for the most part.

This off-season is like that...on steroids. Can't help but feel most of these young guys will crash and burn. Being young and offensive-minded does not make you the next Sean McVay.

Well, we don't know much about him, and his experience isn't as vast as other candidates, but I for one am excited.

Here's what we do know.

1. Sean McVay is apparently pretty high on him. Not enough to block an interview, but enough to entice him to remain in LA by offering him a superior coaching position. 

”He’s instrumental in our third-down game-planning. And he doesn’t just agree with everything, he challenges you but in a way that’s very welcoming. Sometimes in the NFL disagreements can be uncomfortable in a staff meeting, but not here. There’s a refreshing security that Zac has in himself. He has great emotional intelligence and awareness for how to communicate in a way that makes peoples’ guards go down. That’s a great trait for a coach to have.”

2. He's highly-regarded in NFL circles. The Cardinals, Broncos, and Browns had interest. There's been a buzz surrounding his name. The thinking here is 'where there's smoke, there's fire'.

3. He's not Marvin Lewis or Hue Jackson.

8 minutes ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Maybe he will fix Dalton? I would give Dalton at least two years without competition to see if Dalton can become elite, if not I would start to look for a replacement to groom in the later rounds in 2021 or 2022.

Dalton is who he is. There's nothing to fix. His play can be elevated by his supporting cast to the point of MVP consideration (this we have seen already), but not vice versa. 

It wouldn't be surprised if Daniel Jones or Drew Lock are considered on day 2 in our war room as an heir replacement.

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

2. He's highly-regarded in NFL circles. The Cardinals, Broncos, and Browns had interest. There's been a buzz surrounding his name. The thinking here is 'where there's smoke, there's fire'.

You can say that about most NFL HC hirings and most of them don't work out

7 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

3. He's not Marvin Lewis or Hue Jackson.

High bar to clear, huh? ;)

Archived