Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

19 hours ago, The LBC said:

I beg to differ.  These are the same people that put chili on spaghetti.

agreed....disgusting

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont know.      

An odd hire to be sure, but if I were a Bengals fan, Id at least be happy that...

a) Marvin is gone

and

b) Hue wasnt promoted.

I am

On 1/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, Broncofan said:

CIN wasn’t getting the cream of the HC candidate crop.  Although I am surprised Todd Monken didn’t get more love (must really be a dud interview, no one else sniffed around).   

But let’s pause and realize 2 of the other candidates interviewed were Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph.   Sure it might be a low bar but this is miles ahead of either choice.   

Everyone complains that it’s a retread league.  Then when a team that has no realistic shot of contention for 2019 and likely 2020 goes out and does something bold like ARI & CIN ppl say they are crazy.   Those are the teams that have to take chances if they want to accelerate what’s likely to be a slow return to contention.  I don’t get it.  

It might fail badly.  But safe choices are just continuing the mediocrity.   Rather see them be bold than recycle.   And god no on Hue or VJ as HC’s. 

I'd rather not have a coach at all than have Hue or Vance at the helm.

18 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

This dude had the 99th ranked offense in college and got a head coaching job lmao 

A large part of that is recruiting though. Obviously didn't have the top level talent some other schools had. Cincinnati isn't exactly a top tier team...

51 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

A large part of that is recruiting though. Obviously didn't have the top level talent some other schools had. Cincinnati isn't exactly a top tier team...

Plus none of them were his recruits anyway.  He was the OC for only a year.

If it makes Bengal fans feel even better, Andy Benoit (who also predicted Sean McVay) had a piece on Zac Taylor and his brother Press. Maybe he'll be right again?

Here's Benoit's old article on McVay:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/02/nfl-washington-sean-mcvay-offensive-coordinator-head-coach-kirk-cousins-jay-gruden

And here's the recent article on Taylor this season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/zac-taylor-rams-press-taylor-eagles-head-coaches

The only player drafted before Wentz in 2016 was Jared Goff. Just days before Press’s promotion, Zac had learned he’d be tutoring Goff as the new quarterbacks coach in Los Angeles. Zac had joined Sean McVay’s staff the previous year as an assistant wide receivers coach. McVay had told him up front that he was overqualified for the position, which was obvious on paper. Besides coaching QBs in Miami from 2012-15, in the final five weeks of the ’15 season, Zac had been the Dolphins’ interim offensive coordinator. In 2016, he was the University of Cincinnati’s offensive coordinator. (He lost that job after the team’s head coach, Tommy Tuberville, was fired.)

Taylor took the Rams’ assistant wide receivers job in part because the path to promotion was promising. McVay had an unofficial agreement with QBs coach Greg Olson that the veteran assistant would be free to leave if he got offered an offensive coordinator job somewhere else. That’s precisely what happened when Jon Gruden rejoined the Raiders in 2018 and picked Olson as his offensive coordinator. Zac was L.A.’s in-house replacement.

McVay and Taylor were merely acquaintances before working together. “We really didn’t know each other personally,” McVay says. “I knew of him because I’m a fan of coaching. I remembered him playing at Nebraska. And when he got into coaching, I just remember being impressed with the way he handled himself in 2012 on Hard Knocks, funny as that is. He was a younger coach, and just the way he communicated with the quarterbacks, you could tell he was authentic and genuine.”

McVay is effusive in his praise of Taylor. “He’s instrumental in our third-down game-planning. And he doesn’t just agree with everything, he challenges you but in a way that’s very welcoming. Sometimes in the NFL disagreements can be uncomfortable in a staff meeting, but not here. There’s a refreshing security that Zac has in himself. He has great emotional intelligence and awareness for how to communicate in a way that makes peoples’ guards go down. That’s a great trait for a coach to have.”

On 1/11/2019 at 1:23 PM, jrry32 said:

Chip is a pretty terrible comparison in a discussion about McVay's assistants being hired as HCs lol. And it's an even worse comparison when you consider that Chip used a gimmicky college offense to take the league by storm that was eventually figured out and crushed, while McVay is running a variant of systems that have been around for decades. If we're making comparisons, McVay is more similar to Jon Gruden or Sean Payton than Chip Kelly.

And I didn't compare him to Andy Reid. I used Andy Reid as an example of somebody whose assistants are hired regardless of playoff success. It's not a make or break thing.

Ok I had to just point out how irrefutably wrong this stance is.

You realize that a handful of some of the most successful plays/concepts being ran today, notably by my team in 2017 en route to a SB win, came from Chip Kelly? Right?

Obviously he didn't invent the RPO. But he damn sure used it a LOT with Foles....

And what about a play we see ran almost weekly by any good offense? Chip's HB Wheel-WRs underneath mesh concept? I mean hey, its not like our HC took tape of Chip Kelly's offense, studied it, applied it substantially into his offense, and proceeded to massacre the best defense in the NFCCG and then outcoach the GOAT with it. 

McVay is closer to Sean Payton 😆 stop

I mean its crazy how even smart people (from what I can tell) like yourself will go to such lengths such as making crap up blatantly in order to pimp their guy or their team. 

Gimmicky college offense? Dude, what year is this? You know who runs oddly similar college looking offenses (I dont think that term should even exist but bear with me)? Every. Single. Great. Modern. Offense.

32 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Ok I had to just point out how irrefutably wrong this stance is.

You realize that a handful of some of the most successful plays/concepts being ran today, notably by my team in 2017 en route to a SB win, came from Chip Kelly? Right?

Obviously he didn't invent the RPO. But he damn sure used it a LOT with Foles....

And what about a play we see ran almost weekly by any good offense? Chip's HB Wheel-WRs underneath mesh concept? I mean hey, its not like our HC took tape of Chip Kelly's offense, studied it, applied it substantially into his offense, and proceeded to massacre the best defense in the NFCCG and then outcoach the GOAT with it. 

It's sad that you actually believe this drivel. You think that because NFL coaches took some of the good ideas that Chip had that actually changes anything I said? McVay uses the jet motion that our garbage OCs prior to him used with Tavon to try and open up our running game. That doesn't make those garbage OCs any less garbage. Let's read what NFL players had to say about Chip's offense:

"Well, you know with Philly, whatever they run in the first 15 plays, they are kind of going to keep running those same plays," Peterson said. "So you have get a good picture of what those first 15 plays are like. They are a tempo team. Out of those first 15 plays, when the game actually settles down, then we can scan and look at the formation and we knew what they were going to do. That just goes to great play-calling, great guys on the sideline like Matt Barkley, Rashad Johnson. It was just a great collective team win and a great defensive performance coming out of the half."

"Josh Huff said that when he lined up near Dallas sideline, there were times when he heard Cowboys calling out Eagles plays pre-snap."

"Bethea, who wore a microphone during the game (49ers.com video here), knew what was coming before the Eagles snapped the ball facing 1st-and-10 at the 49ers’ 20-yard line early in the fourth quarter. Quarterback Nick Foles surveyed the defense and called an audible by motioning with his hands over his helmet. In response, Bethea began pointing to his right and yelling: 'Hey! Hey! Run! Run! Run! Run!'

The result: Defensive tackle Demarcus Dobbs drilled running back LeSean McCoy for a four-yard loss on a sweep left.

Earlier in the game, Bethea had told his teammates on the sideline a run was coming when Foles made a back-and-forth motion over his helmet, a tip that earned him an approving slap on the shoulder pad from defensive line coach Jim Tomsula."

"'I don’t know if you ever plan for two plays from inside the two with the game on the line, but I will tell you this: the two calls that we made on third down and fourth down, we practiced during the week in those situations,' said Fangio.

Added cornerback Perrish Cox: 'The two calls we had, I think they were actually the only two calls we went over at practice Friday. It worked out perfect.'

Bethea told reporters after the game that the Niners’ defense had a feel for what the Eagles were going to run based off the formations they were in. Asked about this, Chip Kelly suggested that he was limited in how much of the playbook he could use Sunday because of the situation up front."

----------------------------------------

It's laughable that you're trying to defend Chip here. He ran a predictable offense that was easy to figure out. He thought that tempo solved all his problems. Problem is that NFL defenders and coaches are much smarter than college coaches and defenders. Once they had enough film on Chip, they knew how to exploit his tendencies and lack of complexity. He ran a gimmicky college offense. It got figured out. That doesn't mean there weren't brilliant concepts and ideas. You seem to believe that something that fails can't have intelligent components to it.

McVay is closer to Sean Payton 😆 stop

I mean its crazy how even smart people (from what I can tell) like yourself will go to such lengths such as making crap up blatantly in order to pimp their guy or their team. 

Gimmicky college offense? Dude, what year is this? You know who runs oddly similar college looking offenses (I dont think that term should even exist but bear with me)? Every. Single. Great. Modern. Offense.

The humorous thing is that you've been selling McVay short for a year now and have been consistently wrong about it. It's kind of great. I guess it's better to double down than just take the L. But you're right, I'm selling McVay short by comparing him to Payton. Payton was only 18-16 over his first two seasons in the NFL (counting the playoffs). Your biggest mistake here is assuming that I think "college-looking offenses" are bad or gimmicky. No, I think Chip Kelly's offense was gimmicky. Why? Because he didn't adapt well enough to the NFL. It got figured out, and instead of changing, he stubbornly continued to do what he was doing. That's what separates great offenses from gimmicky ones. Gimmicky offenses get figured out. Great offenses adapt.

Archived