49erurtaza

Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

19 hours ago, The LBC said:

I beg to differ.  These are the same people that put chili on spaghetti.

agreed....disgusting

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I dont know.      

An odd hire to be sure, but if I were a Bengals fan, Id at least be happy that...

a) Marvin is gone

and

b) Hue wasnt promoted.

I am

31 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

:D I can't stop laughing at this.

Omg that is freaking incredible.

Bruh went from a position coach to an NFL coach in a blink of an eye. Must be great to have connected friends and family.

On 1/10/2019 at 10:05 PM, Broncofan said:

CIN wasn’t getting the cream of the HC candidate crop.  Although I am surprised Todd Monken didn’t get more love (must really be a dud interview, no one else sniffed around).   

But let’s pause and realize 2 of the other candidates interviewed were Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph.   Sure it might be a low bar but this is miles ahead of either choice.   

Everyone complains that it’s a retread league.  Then when a team that has no realistic shot of contention for 2019 and likely 2020 goes out and does something bold like ARI & CIN ppl say they are crazy.   Those are the teams that have to take chances if they want to accelerate what’s likely to be a slow return to contention.  I don’t get it.  

It might fail badly.  But safe choices are just continuing the mediocrity.   Rather see them be bold than recycle.   And god no on Hue or VJ as HC’s. 

I'd rather not have a coach at all than have Hue or Vance at the helm.

18 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

This dude had the 99th ranked offense in college and got a head coaching job lmao 

A large part of that is recruiting though. Obviously didn't have the top level talent some other schools had. Cincinnati isn't exactly a top tier team...

51 minutes ago, renndawg37 said:

A large part of that is recruiting though. Obviously didn't have the top level talent some other schools had. Cincinnati isn't exactly a top tier team...

Plus none of them were his recruits anyway.  He was the OC for only a year.

If it makes Bengal fans feel even better, Andy Benoit (who also predicted Sean McVay) had a piece on Zac Taylor and his brother Press. Maybe he'll be right again?

Here's Benoit's old article on McVay:

https://www.si.com/mmqb/2016/08/02/nfl-washington-sean-mcvay-offensive-coordinator-head-coach-kirk-cousins-jay-gruden

And here's the recent article on Taylor this season.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/12/06/zac-taylor-rams-press-taylor-eagles-head-coaches

The only player drafted before Wentz in 2016 was Jared Goff. Just days before Press’s promotion, Zac had learned he’d be tutoring Goff as the new quarterbacks coach in Los Angeles. Zac had joined Sean McVay’s staff the previous year as an assistant wide receivers coach. McVay had told him up front that he was overqualified for the position, which was obvious on paper. Besides coaching QBs in Miami from 2012-15, in the final five weeks of the ’15 season, Zac had been the Dolphins’ interim offensive coordinator. In 2016, he was the University of Cincinnati’s offensive coordinator. (He lost that job after the team’s head coach, Tommy Tuberville, was fired.)

Taylor took the Rams’ assistant wide receivers job in part because the path to promotion was promising. McVay had an unofficial agreement with QBs coach Greg Olson that the veteran assistant would be free to leave if he got offered an offensive coordinator job somewhere else. That’s precisely what happened when Jon Gruden rejoined the Raiders in 2018 and picked Olson as his offensive coordinator. Zac was L.A.’s in-house replacement.

McVay and Taylor were merely acquaintances before working together. “We really didn’t know each other personally,” McVay says. “I knew of him because I’m a fan of coaching. I remembered him playing at Nebraska. And when he got into coaching, I just remember being impressed with the way he handled himself in 2012 on Hard Knocks, funny as that is. He was a younger coach, and just the way he communicated with the quarterbacks, you could tell he was authentic and genuine.”

McVay is effusive in his praise of Taylor. “He’s instrumental in our third-down game-planning. And he doesn’t just agree with everything, he challenges you but in a way that’s very welcoming. Sometimes in the NFL disagreements can be uncomfortable in a staff meeting, but not here. There’s a refreshing security that Zac has in himself. He has great emotional intelligence and awareness for how to communicate in a way that makes peoples’ guards go down. That’s a great trait for a coach to have.”

Edited by Xenos