Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, johndeere1707 said:

Just excited about something new instead of 16 years with the same coach 

Exactly this.  And as much as I am happy for Whit, I need this to be finalized.  Guess it will be two more weeks.  But that's so much better than two more years of Marv

21 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Looking more and more like this will be the hire so how are you Bengals fans with the hire?

Ok with it, for the reason @johndeere1707 stated.

A lot of people don't like it.  I get it.  But i've always believed that a guys ability to design an offense or defense and implement it have 4% on his ability to be a head coach (exact percentage, yes).

So i'm withholding judgement until we see how Taylor does.  Can he put together a cohesive staff?  Can he lead them?  Can he lead a locker room?  We don't know yet, because he's never done it (and neither has any first time HC).

On 1/11/2019 at 10:47 AM, Spartacus said:

Usually you see this kind of poaching after a superbowl win. I'm not knocking the Rams they are good no doubt but up to this point McVay hasn't even won a playoff game. 

It's not necessarily hinged on a SB win. It's hinged on success. You can't argue the monumental turnaround that has occurred in LA since the hire.

It's true LA hasn't won a SB. But McVay and the Rams have won jack. McVay took a team that was 4-12 the year before he took over, a team that hadnt had a winning season in 13 years, and has gone 24-8 in the regular season, 2-1 in the postseason, and is about to play in the SB. That is all a win in most peoples books.

You also have to remember that he took the undisputed worst offense in the NFL, and over the course of one off season, turned them into the undisputed best offense in the NFL. And neither were flukes. The Rams offense was abysmal in the two years leading up to the handoff. And has been nothing short of electric since the handoff. 

Sure, he hasn't won a SB yet. But, as a team, you stand a hell of a better chance of winning the SB with that kind of leadership than you do without it. So that's what all the other teams are after. They are all hoping to catch lightning in a bottle. The next McVay.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Ok with it, for the reason @johndeere1707 stated.

A lot of people don't like it.  I get it.  But i've always believed that a guys ability to design an offense or defense and implement it have 4% on his ability to be a head coach (exact percentage, yes).

So i'm withholding judgement until we see how Taylor does.  Can he put together a cohesive staff?  Can he lead them?  Can he lead a locker room?  We don't know yet, because he's never done it (and neither has any first time HC).

I mean, it's a risky play. But people forget that McVay was a risky play. And what is the alternative? Go out and grab some "safe" journeyman like Jim Caldwell? 

When your organization has been locked in mediocrity for years, going from one "old school" coach to the next, it might be time to shake things up. Get a fresh mind in there. A fresh perspective. 

I like that a lot of teams are moving away from the safe picks. It's time for a changing of the guard.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 2:20 PM, KingOfTheDot said:

Like this hire because Taylor is passionate about the city of Cincinnati and Brown will give him the time to build this team up and establish the culture he wants. 

I would have hated this hire for any other team. 

this. exactly this

Archived