Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, CIN is in a lot better position than ARI in a vacuum.  But with where BAL & CLE are at in their growth cycle, and PIT still hanging around until Big Ben's inevitable decline (sooner or later it's happening, it's coming, just a matter of when - Father Time remains undefeated), the most likely outcome though is CIN won't realistically make it to the playoffs next year, and even 2020 seems optimistic (yes injuries can change a lot, but it's about probability).  To really take a step forward and get in with CLE/BAL for the future, they need something bold...hence the HC hire.  That's all I'm saying.  

I agree with all that.  Smart money has better odds on Bal/Pitt/Cle (in that order, probably).

To me it's wide open next year for the following reasons:

• Pittsburgh turns in winning season after winning season.  They had a dissapointing 2nd half of 2018, but with Ben at the helm they can still win 10.  I could also see them winning 5 if they play like they did in the 2nd half of 2018.
  • Baltimore closed the season strong.  Has a strong defense, up and coming QB.  Their HC usually gets more out of them than they should on talent alone.  On the flip side, did the Chargers figure out Lamar Jackson?  Can he only succeed in a "Tebow" offense?  Can the defense remain elite?
  • Cleveland also closed the season strong.  Baker looks like the real deal, and they found some nice players in the draft last year (Chubb, Calloway, etc).  Can they repeat their 2nd half success with a new coach?  Or was what we saw just a boost from a post-Hue/interim HC situation?

I think the North is going to be pretty exciting next year, because i can't see anyone running away from it.  They should all do a pretty good job of beating each other up.

11 hours ago, BroncoSojia said:

Someone with some coordinator experience? This hire may be worst than the Kingsbury one. At least he had coordinating and head coaching experience.

That only matters if he insists on being the OC as well.

I do not understand why so many people think his lack of play calling experience is such a big deal, unless he plans on calling the plays.  He seems like a great personality and a strong leader.  That's what makes a good head coach.  mark Trestman could design and call plays all day long, but players never really were inspired by him or followed him with their heart and soul.  Heck, if play calling is so important, then why didn't we hire Hue?

13 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

This is just like the 2009 off season - in 2008 Tomlin and Harbaugh were hired, both young comparitively small-name guys. They did well, so in 2009 there was a craze for going for young HC candidates - including Raheem Morris and Josh McDaniels. It didn't end well, for the most part.

This off-season is like that...on steroids. Can't help but feel most of these young guys will crash and burn. Being young and offensive-minded does not make you the next Sean McVay.

But the NFL has long been a copycat league.  When the Ravens won the title, "defense wins championships" was the mantra...when the Rams won it, it was "the new NFL" and supposedly the way to a title now was a high-flying O....etc etc.  Now it's get a young bright offensive mind as HC.  Yeah the success here will be a very mixed bag at best IMO.

10 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, CIN is in a lot better position than ARI in a vacuum.  But with where BAL & CLE are at in their growth cycle, and PIT still hanging around until Big Ben's inevitable decline (sooner or later it's happening, it's coming, just a matter of when - Father Time remains undefeated), the most likely outcome though is CIN won't realistically make it to the playoffs next year, and even 2020 seems optimistic (yes injuries can change a lot, but it's about probability).  To really take a step forward and get in with CLE/BAL for the future, they need something bold...hence the HC hire.  That's all I'm saying.  

Not sure I agree with this at all, one can argue that with their draft position, cap space, existing All Pro defenders (Peterson, C.Jones), QB of the future and stud RB, they could easily turn it around just as quick or even quicker than CIN. What does CIN really have to look for moving forward? Dalton?, they do have some cap space, and a decent draft position, but literally has the worst defense in the NFL with a veteran laden roster. The problem is, both coaches are meh at best

24 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Not sure I agree with this at all, one can argue that with their draft position, cap space, existing All Pro defenders (Peterson, C.Jones), QB of the future and stud RB, they could easily turn it around just as quick or even quicker than CIN. What does CIN really have to look for moving forward? Dalton?, they do have some cap space, and a decent draft position, but literally has the worst defense in the NFL with a veteran laden roster. The problem is, both coaches are meh at best

They have some nice pieces in place, but do need to turn over some of the vets.  I'd say the core set of building blocks for the next 5 years would be:

Joe Mixon
Tyler Boyd
Carl Lawson
William Jackson
Jessie Bates
Sam Hubbard
Andrew Billings

For the next ~2 years, they can still get solid production from AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Cordy Glenn, and Dalton (the older core).

They're not in horrible shape.  But they need some help on defense.  Particularly LB, and some added depth all around.  And the offensive line could use some attention on the right side.

54 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

The funny thing is the Rams haven't won jack yet. 

And . . . ?

40 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

What does Cincy have? Well, they have Dalton, two 1000+ yard WRs (Green and Boyd), a very good HB (Mixon), talent at TE, a talented DL (Atkins, Lawson, Hubbard, Dunlap, and Billings), and some pieces to work with in the secondary (William Jackson, Jessie Bates, and Shawn Williams). I recognize that the Bengals have weak spots (OL and LB), but they actually have a talented overall team. Dalton isn't the greatest, but he's competent.

Not to say the Bengals are great or anything, but consider they won 6 games in the following situation:

• Starting QB played 10.5 games.
  • AJ Green played 9 games
  • Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon both missed two games
  • They lost Carl Lawson after 6 games
  • Nick Vigil (they're only competent LB) played 10.5 games
  • Marvin's BFF Michael Johnson played 15 games
  • Their starting TE, the guy they built the offense around, Tyler Eifert, played 4 games
  • One of their starting DT's (Ryan Glasgow), went on IR after week 3

Put another way, of their starters, only 8/22 played full seasons.

Now some of this you can blame poor planning.  Why on earth they counted so severely on Tyler Eifert is beyond me.  The fact that they haven't seriously addressed LB's is on them.  But they lost a lot of games from guys they were really counting on.

I thought i had heard that in terms of adjusted games lost, they were in the bottom 4-5 this year.  They'll likely regress back to the mean next year, which will help.  They'll also likely cut ties with some of Marvin's buddies that were holding them back (Michael Johnson, Vontaze Burfict, Alex Redmond (RG)).

7 minutes ago, theJ said:

They have some nice pieces in place, but do need to turn over some of the vets.  I'd say the core set of building blocks for the next 5 years would be:

Joe Mixon
Tyler Boyd
Carl Lawson
William Jackson
Jessie Bates
Sam Hubbard
Andrew Billings

For the next ~2 years, they can still get solid production from AJ Green, Gio Bernard, Geno Atkins, Carlos Dunlap, Cordy Glenn, and Dalton (the older core).

They're not in horrible shape.  But they need some help on defense.  Particularly LB, and some added depth all around.  And the offensive line could use some attention on the right side.

Totally agree they aren't in horrible shape with their young core, But I just think the upside of the Cardinals moving forward could be better. I base this off of the QB play, I just think a year 2 Rosen could be better than what Dalton would do (This is purely speculation of course). I really don't think much of Kingsbury as a head coach per se, but I think he could do wonders with Rosen.

I just think the upside "could" be higher with the high level players the Cards have, but the Bengals could certainly do the same thing, I just would be interested how Free Agents approach the Bengals based off how the head coaching search went for them. But to be honest, if all goes perfect for them, they could shoot to the top of the division just as much as Baltimore or Cleveland

1 minute ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I just think the upside "could" be higher with the high level players the Cards have, but the Bengals could certainly do the same thing, I just would be interested how Free Agents approach the Bengals based off how the head coaching search went for them. But to be honest, if all goes perfect for them, they could shoot to the top of the division just as much as Baltimore or Cleveland

I'm not sure it will matter, because the Bengals probably won't approach many FA's haha.

lmao @ people saying "great hire" or "bad hire" in these kinds of threads. no one has a single clue how a coach will turn out...especially new ones. people just see names they recognize and go "oh yeah great hire".

John Harbaugh

Mike Tomlin 

Doug Pederson

Were all relatively obscure and off the wall hires at the time. All have super bowls.

I bet if you go back to threads people were wayyyyy higher on hires like Todd Bowles and Gus Bradley and Dan Quinn because they were a name before they got hired.

I hope it doesn't work out for Cincy as a Ravens fan. But everyone stop pretending like you know what's going to happen.

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

literally has the worst defense in the NFL with a veteran laden roster.

Our roster has never been the fundamental issue this past half decade. We're far from devoid of talent. The coaching has been the issue, hence the change.

Our poor defensive ranking isn't really indicative of our defensive personnel. Teryl Austin was let go for good reason - he was terrible. The defense was noticeably better under Marvin. 

Also, we fielded literally the youngest roster in the NFL entering the season. I think we're better off than you're giving us credit for. It wouldn't surprise me to see a quick turnaround considering the talent our new HC, OC and DC has at the disposal.

Archived