Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

Don't know much about this guy except that he worked unde/knows McVay, which seems to be the trend this year with all these hires.  Quite the jump from QB coach to HC but hey you never know.  Just hope he can hold his own and earn the respect of his players because being a good head coach isn't just about x's and o's.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:
2 hours ago, Spartacus said:

The funny thing is the Rams haven't won jack yet. 

And . . . ?

Usually you see this kind of poaching after a superbowl win. I'm not knocking the Rams they are good no doubt but up to this point McVay hasn't even won a playoff game. 

15 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Our roster has never been the fundamental issue this past half decade. We're far from devoid of talent. The coaching has been the issue, hence the change.

Our poor defensive ranking isn't really indicative of our defensive personnel. Teryl Austin was let go for good reason - he was terrible. The defense was noticeably better under Marvin. 

Also, we fielded literally the youngest roster in the NFL entering the season. I think we're better off than you're giving us credit for. It wouldn't surprise me to see a quick turnaround considering the talent our new HC, OC and DC has at the disposal.

Well having an outside perspective, did really well with the Lions with lesser talent, so of course it would raise questions how he couldn't succeed with more talent in Cincinnati.

20 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Usually you see this kind of poaching after a superbowl win. I'm not knocking the Rams they are good no doubt but up to this point McVay hasn't even won a playoff game. 

Andy Reid has had his assistants poached for years (and rightfully so).

50 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well having an outside perspective, did really well with the Lions with lesser talent, so of course it would raise questions how he couldn't succeed with more talent in Cincinnati.

I wouldn't call his stint in Detroit "...really well...". More like one great season (in 2014), and three really average to below average seasons. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AustTe0.htm#coaching_ranks::none

51 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

No you don't.  You see this kind of poaching after a successful winning season.

And TBH, usually teams don't wait around post-superbowl to hire coaches.  99% of the time the hiring is done before the divisional round.  So actually you rarely see poaching from the superbowl winning team for HC hires.  The only thing you see is positional coaches going to OC/DC and assistants being hired as positional coaches.

Andy Reid, Marvin Lewis - just two examples of guys whose staffs have been poached for years, consistently.  And neither of them has had incredible postseason success.

10 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

That dude's tree is unbelievable. 

They take his methodology for player evaluation and development, his preparation and pre-Game planning.   And then discard most everything he does in game.   And poof success.  It’s beyond impressive.   

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:
1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Andy Reid has had his assistants poached for years (and rightfully so).

McVay has no business being compared to Andy and "his" tree given his short HC career. Theres nothing remotely similar.

No one was poaching coaches from Reid until he was winning playoff games and making several NFCCG.

McVay's Staff is just the flavor of the month that Owners are praying can be recreated with their own QB's/offense.

14 hours ago, Broncofan said:

CIN wasn’t getting the cream of the HC candidate crop.  Although I am surprised Todd Monken didn’t get more love (must really be a dud interview, no one else sniffed around).   

But let’s pause and realize 2 of the other candidates interviewed were Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph.   Sure it might be a low bar but this is miles ahead of either choice.   

Everyone complains that it’s a retread league.  Then when a team that has no realistic shot of contention for 2019 and likely 2020 goes out and does something bold like ARI & CIN ppl say they are crazy.   Those are the teams that have to take chances if they want to accelerate what’s likely to be a slow return to contention.  I don’t get it.  

It might fail badly.  But safe choices are just continuing the mediocrity.   Rather see them be bold than recycle.   And god no on Hue or VJ as HC’s. 

I think there's a healthy middle ground, either side of going on a leap of faith on some obscure guy or hiring some recently failed retread.

5 minutes ago, kramxel said:

I think there's a healthy middle ground, either side of going on a leap of faith on some obscure guy or hiring some recently failed retread.

I thought Todd Monken might be that middle ground.  But who else?  I mean Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph were 2 interview candidates.  It’s not like there is this great list of guys this year that represents the middle ground.  

15 minutes ago, kramxel said:

Are the Rams the new Pats in terms of teams poaching their assistants, just to realize a few years later that the major contributors to the success of those programs are Belichick and McVay?

7 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Yes

Well we know what hiring the Pats assistants leads to.   We have no idea what following the so called McVay tree leads to yet. 

Archived