Bengals to hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

He had more experience. That is true. However, it is not at the NFL level. But that doesn't tell you who is more qualified, just like a resume can't tell you who is the most qualified to do a job. You interview people, check references, and do background checks for good reason.

More experience as a HC is better--provided that doesn't mean high school, or something. I wish Taylor the best, as I feel bad for the Cincy fan base. I wonder if the hire means Cincy is going to move away from Dalton, or not. 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

More experience as a HC is better--provided that doesn't mean high school, or something. I wish Taylor the best, as I feel bad for the Cincy fan base. I wonder if the hire means Cincy is going to move away from Dalton, or not. 

I disagree.

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Every coach gets fired. That's the reality of the league. If Taylor was an OC, he has a better chance to succeed as a HC, based on historical parameters. 

He was an OC. 

Can you provide a link or example to those historical parameters?

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

He was an OC. 

Can you provide a link or example to those historical parameters?

I'm not spending the time to research that positional coach to head coach hires rarely work out. I'd call the questioning of truth on such a statement to be utterly ridiculous, but maybe you haven't followed professional football for long, so I'll cut some slack. In a nutshell--this interaction has become me stating it's warmer every year in Miami Beach, Florida than it is in International Falls, Minnesota...and you asking for a link to prove the veracity of my claim. 

8 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not spending the time to research that positional coach to head coach hires rarely work out. I'd call the questioning of truth on such a statement to be utterly ridiculous, but maybe you haven't followed professional football for long, so I'll cut some slack. In a nutshell--this interaction has become me stating it's warmer every year in Miami Beach, Florida than it is in International Falls, Minnesota...and you asking for a link to prove the veracity of my claim. 

If you can’t provide evidence to your claim, don’t bother bribing it up.

20 minutes ago, Duluther said:

If you can’t provide evidence to your claim, don’t bother bribing it up.

Are you serious? Good lord...

Just now, TENINCH said:

That's actually very delicious!

It is! I was skeptical...but it is very tasty. 

1 minute ago, Heinz D. said:

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/minneapolis_mn/miami_fl/climate

See that wasn't so hard.

No need to get personal. You can't even give a couple examples off the top of your head? I'm actually curious.

Let's think about this for a second. Most HCs are former coordinators (again, Zac Taylor was a former coordinator), and I'd say the rate of "failure" would probably be more than half of them, depending on your parameters for success/failure. How would that compare to the rate of position coaches or otherwise succeeding/failing? My guess is that it isn't dramatically different, but I could be wrong. You can criticize them for not having an extensive resume, but unless you or someone provides some numbers we don't know for sure. 

Everyone's ragging on him for a lack of experience, but literally almost all young coaches (aged 30-35) lack experience in high ranking positions. Obviously, because they're young and haven't been around long enough to muster up a resume. But that doesn't necessarily make their rate of failure less than coaches with more experience. Mike Tomlin was a defensive backs coach for 4 years with DC before coordinating Minnesota's defense for one year prior to his Pittsburgh HC gig. That year, his defense ranked 32nd in the NFL versus the pass. He didn't exactly have a stellar resume, but still interviewed well, got the job, and won a Superbowl. Jon Gruden is another guy who wasn't heavily experienced. He worked with receivers, quarterbacks, and was an OC for two years before landing his HC gig and the rest is history. I'm not insinuating at all that Taylor is going to follow that path, but I'm sure as hell not just going to write him off because he lacks experience. We're not even entirely sure if Taylor is going to be calling the plays, depending on who he brings on as coordinators. 

What's going to be really important to Taylor's success is to be surrounded by a staff of veteran coaches that can ease the transition. We don't really know a lot until the Rams get eliminated and Taylor's staff starts to take shape. He's got some high quality connections across the league like Bill Callahan, and possibly Gary Kubiak (who suddenly wants out of Denver). I wouldn't be so quick to judge just yet.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

https://www.bestplaces.net/compare-cities/minneapolis_mn/miami_fl/climate

See that wasn't so hard.

No need to get personal. You can't even give a couple examples off the top of your head? I'm actually curious.

Let's think about this for a second. Most HCs are former coordinators (again, Zac Taylor was a former coordinator), and I'd say the rate of "failure" would probably be more than half of them, depending on your parameters for success/failure. 

Yeah...this is just getting creepy now. When presented with his OC experience, I immediately said that increases his chance of success as a HC. 

I legit didn't know that was the case. Sorry about that. Everything else? Eek. If you don't understand the difference between positional coaches and...

Nevermind. This is silly town. 

Archived