What players come to mind when you hear “coach killer”

patriotsheatyan

Nick Foles aka BDN aka The 9 Inch Wonder aka Nicky 9 Inch 

Because he eviscerates teams who have legitimate Superbowl expectations in the most crucial of games.

Thus, ending coaches' careers. Whether it be immediate. Or the beginning of the end (cough Belichick cough heh)

29 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

I was going to say Ryan Tannehill.....juuuuust good enough to almost get you to the playoffs. 

Yeah.  Guys that put your team in that limbo can be really bad, and run through a lot of coaches.  Especially if it's like Tannehill where he's always bouncing back and forth from the injured reserve.

16 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Can't help but think of Blake Bortles & Gus Bradley here, but I'm not sure if Gus ever had it in him. Great coordinator though.

I wanted to say Bortles too, because he has all the makings of a classic "coach killer" with his wild inconsistency year to year, the incurable gunslinger mentality without the talent to pull it off consistently, and that ability to put together stretches that almost make you think he might not be that terrible...

But Gus Bradley didn't get "killed" by any of the players or the insane losing record that would've killed off any other mere mortal coach.  That guy was absolutely bulletproof for way way longer than he should've been.  In some respects, i think Bortles inconsistency and maddening "flashes" of potential probably actually saved Gus' job for longer than it should have.

Gus is obviously a good defensive coach, and he's got an amazing attitude and energy...but the HC gig was just totally beyond him.  He was very clearly in over his head the entire time.  Bortles didn't get Gus fired...Gus losing a metric ton of games and looking mostly clueless as a HC got Gus fire (eventually).

Archived