(Now Official) Bengals hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, theJ said:

Zac's offenses in 2015 (Dolphins) and 2016 (Bearcats) were not great.

Let's hope he's a better HC than offensive coordinator.

Also see what type of staff he's able to out together. A good nugget is Zac Taylor's father in-law is Mike Sherman. 

I would give you the scoop on Taylor as a Rams fan, but I have nothing to offer. He's truly an unknown. That's neither a good nor bad thing. McVay wasn't exactly the hottest name on the market either. Same with Mike Tomlin. Same with Mike McCarthy. Same with Sean Payton.

I'm good with hiring from the McVay or Ried coaching tree.  Just glad it isn't the Marvin Lewis coaching tree.  After 16 years, I have ZERO complaints with the Bengals taking the risk and hiring him.

We interviewed Monken, and Bieneimy.  If we wanted those guys, I'm fairly certain we could have hired at least one of them.  We got our first choice IMHO.  So let's see how it works out...

It's sort of looking like Bill Lazor is going to stick around as OC (not a done deal...yet).  That would be a curious decision, given Zac took over for Bill as OC of the Dolphins in 2015 when Bill was fired.

Guess we'll have to wait until the Rams season is over to know for sure.

18 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Brilliant or not, it's clearing away a lot of the old guard, and in that alone it's a win for me long term.

same here.

whether it succeeds or fails. at least they are taking a chance 

this move actually makes me excited for this offseason and next year.

If they would have hired Hue (lol) or some other retread coach, would have not really given a chit about next year.

So while I am glad Hue is not the guy,  it's more about public perception and moving on than thinking he's a bad coach. 

He went to a team that was tanking, and they sucked for two years.  Then,  when they started to show a sign of life,  he got fired as the scapegoat. I feel like the only thing we really learned about him, is he doesn't respond well to being undermined and  scapegoated. 

28 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

He went to a team that was tanking, and they sucked for two years.  Then,  when they started to show a sign of life,  he got fired as the scapegoat. I feel like the only thing we really learned about him, is he doesn't respond well to being undermined and  scapegoated. 

I think we also learned that he's not a great leader.  There were too many people (coaches and players alike) that were glad he was gone for it to be an issue with just losses.  

Marvin couldn't win for 3 years straight, and he was still getting player endorsements up until the end.

Archived