(Now Official) Bengals hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

4 minutes ago, theJ said:

In case it wasn't clear, Callahan is under contract.  I don't know why Washington would let him out of his deal, so this is probably a pipe dream.

Isn't almost every poached coach under contract? He's a well-respected, well-established coach pushing 63 years old. If Callahan asks to leave, and Washington denies or blocks that interview it would be a pretty discourteous thing to do. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

Isn't almost every poached coach under contract? He's a well-respected, well-established coach pushing 63 years old. If Callahan asks to leave, and Washington denies or blocks that interview it would be a pretty discourteous thing to do. I guess we'll have to wait and see. 

Well, no.

AFAIK, the only coaches that can be poached while under contract are guys being given HC jobs.  Any other job would require that the team let them out of their contract first.

News came out about Callahan wanting to leave over a week ago.  Since then nothing has happened.  Something could still happen (and maybe it happened in quiet and wasn't reported?), but it just seems more unlikely every day.

As far as the OC position is concerned, i'm wondering if Taylor is going to bring over Shane Waldron.  

It would make a ton of sense if he intends to put together an offense revolving around "his system".

41 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

I don’t like the idea of Zac taylor bringing in his brother. Nepotism never works well in the work place

It doesn't but I don't mind Press coming over.  The joining of the McVay and Reid coaching trees.  Pederson and McVay are two of the most successful coaches in the NFL, so having the brothers together from each of their staffs would be a good thing IMO...

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Well, no.

AFAIK, the only coaches that can be poached while under contract are guys being given HC jobs.  Any other job would require that the team let them out of their contract first.

So after looking it up, apparently NFL teams can't block coaches from interviewing for a job that is a potential promotion. However, they can block interviews if the position change is a lateral move. I didn't see anything that had to do with existing contracts. So the Skins could block Callahan making the lateral move, but I don't think his contract with the Redskins is an issue.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

Well, no.

News came out about Callahan wanting to leave over a week ago.  Since then nothing has happened.  Something could still happen (and maybe it happened in quiet and wasn't reported?), but it just seems more unlikely every day.

There's also news about a highly ranked (PFF) o line coach asking to be released by his former employer.  If Pollack went to Washington, then Callahan is available.  They can't be traded coach for coach, so maybe he's there feeling out the Redskins and Gruden.

And they wouldn't make him available until Taylor is officially hired anyway.

3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

But honestly, that horrid call means two more freaking weeks of all this uncertainty bs

That was some freaking crap crap crap. Saints got jobbed. You can definitively say they would won if the ref didn't eat his whistle there. 

And yep. Two more weeks. 

12 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Congrats to Whitworth.  I can't stand Payton, so there's that.

But honestly, that horrid call means two more freaking weeks of all this uncertainty bs

Since i know you follow this kind of thing: what was the line and/or over/under for that game?  Any conspiracy theories?

1 hour ago, theJ said:

Since i know you follow this kind of thing: what was the line and/or over/under for that game?  Any conspiracy theories?

It was Saints -3, but I doubt that had anything to do with it this time.  But #2 market just benefited and the 32nd largest market took it on the chin, if you are looking for that sort of thing.  I doubt it, but it is the NFL, which only cares about its money

I think the Zac Taylor hiring is a pretty decent one. Obviously there should be some concern with him never having held a super high-level position, but I'd let that slide for now. If he rebuilds the offensive line as a top priority, he could revamp the offense to be like the Rams, which could fit because they can subscribe to the 11-personnel, play-action-deep-shot offense with Mixon and Ross as feature points. I'd be inclined to think changing the offense that way would especially help Ross' production after the team struggled when targeting him (36.2% completion rate, 5 interceptions on 58 targets). Might want to take a look at the QB position, too, though - it's clear Dalton is no elite quarterback. If Haskins falls, I might take a chance at letting him run the show - he has a better arm than Dalton and is pretty accurate deep.

Archived