(Now Official) Bengals hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

14 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

I feel like he had to ask for it. Future uncertain and wanted to look for new opportunities. 

Zac Taylor is affiliated with two of the best OL coaches in the NFL over the past couple of decades in Bill Callahan (HC at Nebraska when he was the QB there) and Mike Sherman (Father in law).  So, I wouldn't rule out Taylor wanting to bring one of them in.  Especially Callahan whose available after leaving Washington...

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Zac Taylor is affiliated with two of the best OL coaches in the NFL over the past couple of decades in Bill Callahan (HC at Nebraska when he was the QB there) and Mike Sherman (Father in law).  So, I wouldn't rule out Taylor wanting to bring one of them in.  Especially Callahan whose available after leaving Washington...

I'm kind of nervous that they're letting a lot of decent to great staff go, and no one is coming in to replace them.  Meanwhile the musical chairs around the rest of the league are settling in.  And if the Rams win this Sunday, we probably have another 2 weeks of no hires.

Yikes.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I'm kind of nervous that they're letting a lot of decent to great staff go, and no one is coming in to replace them.  Meanwhile the musical chairs around the rest of the league are settling in.  And if the Rams win this Sunday, we probably have another 2 weeks of no hires.

Yikes.

That's a concern.  I wonder if a guy like Wilks at AZ was stuck with second or third choices for coaches and doomed to fail because of it. 

11 hours ago, theJ said:

Yikes.

I wouldn't be too worried about that.  If Taylor has "his guys" that he wants, then odds are he's already spoken to them about it.

11 hours ago, theJ said:

Yikes.

Surely they have someone already lined up to replace them before letting guys here go.  Mike Brown isn't stupid.  It's just going to be guys who aren't making the rounds right now and having their names out there because they know they have something lined up

4 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Surely they have someone already lined up to replace them before letting guys here go.  Mike Brown isn't stupid.  It's just going to be guys who aren't making the rounds right now and having their names out there because they know they have something lined up

Nothing is official until the contracts are signed.  Just makes me nervous is all.

If i'm someone Taylor has lined up as the OC, for example, but Cleveland calls and has an actual contract ready to go, i'm going to think long and hard about just signing that one.

From a TheAthletic article: https://theathletic.com/769804/2019/01/16/jay-glazer-mailbag-nfl-championship-weekend-coaching-hires/

"What do you think of the Cincinnati Bengals targeting Rams quarterback coach Zac Taylor? Don’t seem to know much about him."

He’s a guy that the Bengals actually targeted for weeks toward the end of the season as they knew they were moving on from Marvin Lewis. They did a ton of backchannel work on him.

When you talk to people on the Rams, you learn he is a football guy non-stop. When he went in and interviewed some places, I was told when he talked about offense — what he was able to use from Sean McVay’s offense plus some twist he put on it — other teams were blown away. He commanded the room in the interview process. He’s a guy who is very family-oriented, and he’s one of these 24-7 football guys who can connect with players and coaches, both old and young. Cincinnati, I thought, was going to be a hard place to get a good hire. If they do make this official, they’ll end up getting one of the hidden gems of this coaching class.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

Meh, that's fine and dandy. I can't say I was hoping for us to land him.

I'm just curious who it could be at this point.  Any dream of having an experienced OC to go along with the inexperienced coach is about out the window.  It's going to be another up and comer just promoted from a positional coach assignment, or someone who was fired and currently unemployed.  There aren't a ton of options out there.

At this point i'm thinking he has to be planning on poaching several of the Rams staff.  Otherwise why wouldn't we have seen anyone come to terms yet?

12 hours ago, theJ said:

This is why I'm nervous about the assistants. 

Also, Darrel bevel signed elsewhere. So he's out as OC. 

In case it wasn't clear, Callahan is under contract.  I don't know why Washington would let him out of his deal, so this is probably a pipe dream.

Archived