(Now Official) Bengals hire Rams QB coach Zac Taylor as head coach

49erurtaza

13 hours ago, otg said:

I'm glad we didn't get Realmuto. If we're going to trade that kind of talent I'd rather be in the market for a pitcher. Barnhart, go Hoosiers, played reasonably well and is cheap for the foreseeable future.

What's going on with the outfielders? Is Kemp going to get regular playing time based on matchups, or is he merely a backup. Seems like a waste of an asset. When Senzel makes the club it gets even more crowded.

I would have been happy if we could have traded for Realmuto if it was India, Barnhart (don't get me wrong, Tucker is one of my favorite Reds, but he's not Realmuto), and a third piece like Keury Mella, but considering the Marlins got a top piece like Sixto Sanchez, i'm happy we bowed out because that would have meant either Senzel or Trammell instead of India.

If the Reds are smart, it's Winker every day in LF, Puig every day in RF, and to start the year it's Schebler in CF, then Senzel after a few weeks if Schebler isn't getting it done.  Kemp will start any time we give Winker or Puig a day off.  Maybe at home games try Puig in CF occasionally, put Winker in RF and Kemp in LF, but that would be the worst defensive OF in baseball.  I'd be interested to see how much a bad defensive OF matters in a park like GABP though.  Kemp should get about 40 starts throughout the year and be the primary pinch hitter most games.  Not a lot of value for $24 million, but a helluva lot more value than we would have got from Homer Bailey and the giant win of getting Bailey's pompous arse out of the locker room.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Are you like famous?  I didn't know anyone from Cincinnati was famous.  Were you in 98 degrees? 

I was born in Cincinnati, lived over state lines in the metropolitan area, then moved to Cincinnati this past summer; am I from Cincinnati?

I neitherconfirm nor deny being famous.

It was the summer of his meltdown after he had been sent down, but was still hanging around Northern Kentucky. The only other person on the patio and he had A LOT of empties on his table. About a half our after getting there, "I can't believe you don't recognize me!" ... "Don't tell anyone who I am." Why are you telling me who you are? Lol He was in a bad place and my super power is that strangers feel they can approach me and share with me.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Now we're hiring high school head coaches for our staff. It's like a real life Moneyball movie. This could either work or go horribly wrong. 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/head-coach-ohio-high-school-football-power-joining-bengals-staff/Ygy3fZDpitcH3i3SLEAkxO/

Well, he did coach in  college previously and he's not an actual coach on this staff, so I don't have an issue with it. Sounds like the kind of job most guys on this board could pull off. 

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Now we're hiring high school head coaches for our staff. It's like a real life Moneyball movie. This could either work or go horribly wrong. 

https://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/head-coach-ohio-high-school-football-power-joining-bengals-staff/Ygy3fZDpitcH3i3SLEAkxO/

I like the move.  A lot of innovation these days are occurring at the High School and College coaching ranks.  NFL coaches are way more conservative except a notable few like Belichick (which is part of the reason he's been as dominant as he's been).  I could have sworn recalling Parcels hiring someone from the High School ranks when he was with the Giants, but maybe I'm mis-remembering...

I have no problem with it. The Bengals are at a serious disadvantage bringing in players and coaches. We don't have as good climate, history, or total income opportunity as other teams.

We either have to settle for who is willing to settle for us, overpay, or be a little less conventional.

17 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

Well, he did coach in  college previously and he's not an actual coach on this staff, so I don't have an issue with it. Sounds like the kind of job most guys on this board could pull off. 

Assistant to the regional manager.  Someone had to fill the role when Hue left.

In all seriousness, Zac could use a guy like this.  He can whisper sweet nothings into his ear when he doesn't know what to do.

Archived