My top 15 QB's Currently in the NFL. Rated 1-100.

mdonnelly21

#1. Aaron Rodgers - Rating 98 

#2. Drew Brees - Rating 97 

#3. Patrick Mahomes - 96

#4. Phillip Rivers - 95 

#5. Andrew Luck - 95 

#6. Tom Brady - 94 

#7. Russell Wilson - 93

#8. Matt Ryan 93

#9. Carson Wentz - 92  

#10. Jared Goff - 91 

#11. Big Ben - 91 

#12. Alex Smith - 89

#13. Cam Newton 

#14. Dak Prescott - 88

#15. Deshaun Watson - 87

Edited by mdonnelly21
Forgot about Cam Newton

Top 32 QBs and the trajectory I have them on.

1. Brees (--)
  2. Brady (v
  3. Rodgers (--)
  4. Rivers (--)
  5. Wilson (^)
  6. Luck (^)
  7. Ryan (--)
  8. Ben (v)
  9. Mahomes (^)
  10. Goff (^)
  11. Wentz (^)
  12. Cam (--)
  13. Watson (^)
  14. Cousins (--)
  15. Stafford (--)
  16. Baker (^)
  17. Mitch (^)
  18. Dak (--)
  19. Jimmy G (^)
  20. Foles (--)
  21. Mariota (--)
  22. Carr (^)
  23. Eli (v)
  24. Dalton (--)
  25. Jameis (^)
  26. Fitzpatrick (v)
  27. Tannehill (v)
  28. Darnold (^)
  29. Joe Flacco (--)
  30. Josh Allen (^)
  31. Lamar Jackson (--)
  32. Josh Rosen (^)

I'm very conservative with my QB rankings, 1 season is not enough for me to drastically change opinion on a QB one way or another for better or worse, so they haven't changed much since the preseason. My 1st tier completely changed order, they were all neck and neck as it is, and Brees was lethal this year while Brady and Rodgers both had some uncharacteristic struggles. 2nd tier sees Luck jump into picture after showing us he is 100% healthy, while Ben drops a bit as he had a pretty disappointing year and I think his trajectory is downward. 3rd tier sees Mahomes, who I probably wasn't even ranking in the preseason, as he had all time great year. Wentz falls to lower end of the tier due to the injury questions. After that things get a bit more volatile naturally... Not even including Alex Smith because his career is probably done, but pre-injury he'd be in that 4th tier near the top for me.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Now I'm assuming these rankings are for this year since you have Mahommes at #3, correct? 

Then how in the hell is Rodgers #1? 

I had a feeling a lot of people would have a problem with that. 

I'm not looking at this based on production alone. I look at a combination of things. 

I feel like he gives you the best odds to a win a superbowl purely  on talent/skill/ability assuming you don't take into roster/record...ect 

25 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Top 32 QBs and the trajectory I have them on.

1. Brees (--)
  2. Brady (v
  3. Rodgers (--)
  4. Rivers (--)
  5. Wilson (^)
  6. Luck (^)
  7. Ryan (--)
  8. Ben (v)
  9. Mahomes (^)
  10. Goff (^)
  11. Wentz (^)
  12. Cam (--)
  13. Watson (^)
  14. Cousins (--)
  15. Stafford (--)
  16. Baker (^)
  17. Mitch (^)
  18. Dak (--)
  19. Jimmy G (^)
  20. Foles (--)
  21. Mariota (--)
  22. Carr (^)
  23. Eli (v)
  24. Dalton (--)
  25. Jameis (^)
  26. Fitzpatrick (v)
  27. Tannehill (v)
  28. Darnold (^)
  29. Joe Flacco (--)
  30. Josh Allen (^)
  31. Lamar Jackson (--)
  32. Josh Rosen (^)

I'm very conservative with my QB rankings, 1 season is not enough for me to drastically change opinion on a QB one way or another for better or worse, so they haven't changed much since the preseason. My 1st tier completely changed order, they were all neck and neck as it is, and Brees was lethal this year while Brady and Rodgers both had some uncharacteristic struggles. 2nd tier sees Luck jump into picture after showing us he is 100% healthy, while Ben drops a bit as he had a pretty disappointing year and I think his trajectory is downward. 3rd tier sees Mahomes, who I probably wasn't even ranking in the preseason, as he had all time great year. Wentz falls to lower end of the tier due to the injury questions. After that things get a bit more volatile naturally... Not even including Alex Smith because his career is probably done, but pre-injury he'd be in that 4th tier near the top for me.

I want to see your list, based on right this very moment. Who gives you the best odds to win a SB, if the roster is starting from scratch in a redraft. 

34 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I had a feeling a lot of people would have a problem with that. 

I'm not looking at this based on production alone. I look at a combination of things. 

I feel like he gives you the best odds to a win a superbowl purely  on talent/skill/ability assuming you don't take into roster/record...ect 

Okay I can understand your criteria. But if you are looking at which QB gives you the best odds to win a SB then why wouldn't the 4 time SB MVP with 8 SB appearances be #1 then?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mdonnelly21 said:

I want to see your list, based on right this very moment. Who gives you the best odds to win a SB, if the roster is starting from scratch in a redraft. 

That's pretty much the question I ask myself when making a QB ranking, and the above is where it landed me (only looking ahead 1 year in the future of course, otherwise guys like Brady and Rodgers are probably not even top 10).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mdonnelly21 said:

#1. Aaron Rodgers - Rating 98 

#2. Drew Brees - Rating 97 

#3. Patrick Mahomes - 96

#4. Phillip Rivers - 95 

#5. Andrew Luck - 95 

#6. Tom Brady - 94 

#7. Russell Wilson - 93

#8. Matt Ryan 93

#9. Carson Wentz - 92  

#10. Jared Goff - 91 

#11. Big Ben - 91 

#12. Alex Smith - 89

#13. Cam Newton 

#14. Dak Prescott - 88

#15. Deshaun Watson - 87

Reigning Super Bowl MVP is automatic Top 10 for me. Obviously Ryan, Wentz or Goff can be bumped down to make room for Foles and I'd probably have him 8th. But not behind Wilson, I think mine would be:

1. Brees

2. Maholmes

3. Wilson

4. Roethlisberger

5. Brady

6. Rivers

7. Luck

8. Foles

9. Ryan

10. Goff

2 hours ago, x0x said:

Reigning Super Bowl MVP is automatic Top 10 for me. Obviously Ryan, Wentz or Goff can be bumped down to make room for Foles and I'd probably have him 8th. But not behind Wilson, I think mine would be:

1. Brees

2. Maholmes

3. Wilson

4. Roethlisberger

5. Brady

6. Rivers

7. Luck

8. Foles

9. Ryan

10. Goff

I don't even know where to start with this logic. Should I mention team success vs individual success, the backup QB phenomena that guys like Foles and Fitzpatrick live off of where casual fans actually think they're good until they undoubtedly fall back down again, or the many flaws to Foles' game such as inconsistent scattershot accuracy, below average arm strength, and the accompanying overcompensating aggressiveness.

He has his good stretches, but he is what he is, let's just leave it at that.

What's the equivalent of a perfect 100 rating? An all-world QB in his prime, say Brady coming off his 2007 season or early 2010's? If that's the standard, your numbers seem way to high. 

If I were to take a stab at this, I'd probably put it something like this:

100-90: Elite
89-80: Very good 
79-70: Good
69-60: Above average
59-40: Average
39-30: Below average
29-20: Bad
19-10: Terrible
9-0: Disaster

If that's the scale, the max I'd be willing to give anyone currently is probably a mid-90s for Brees, and that's with trying to take into account both his body of work and expectations going into his next game. The only other guys I'd have at 90+ would be Brady and Rodgers (maybe Mahomes if you're willing to put that much emphasis into his only season). Rivers as a high 80's guy then a bit of a drop to the next group with Ryan, Luck and Wilson whom I'd probably put in the lower 80's range. 

• Like 1

@mdonnelly21 Nice list, and certainly thought-provoking.

My one quibble is that I would think that Josh Dobbs, from the University of Mars, ought to be in there somewhere.

Image result for Josh Dobbs

Also, I'm pretty sure that The Mellow One is at this very moment interrupting tracking my activites by sticking different-colored push-pins into the chart he's keeping on the matter, in order to marshall his forces for the next passionate defense of Geno Smith, The Once and Future King, for consideration as a franchise QB!

Boo-Yahhh!!

Related image

Edited by bzane
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, jjab360 said:

I don't even know where to start with this logic. Should I mention team success vs individual success, the backup QB phenomena that guys like Foles and Fitzpatrick live off of where casual fans actually think they're good until they undoubtedly fall back down again, or the many flaws to Foles' game such as inconsistent scattershot accuracy, below average arm strength, and the accompanying overcompensating aggressiveness.

He has his good stretches, but he is what he is, let's just leave it at that.

So...only casual fans think Foles is a good quarterback? And what was the "fall back down again" with Foles, anyway? Are you referring to his time under Jeff Fisher? 

• Like 1