Biggs: Donatell Interviewed, Pagano Interest

WindyCity

This is why I like Pagano beyond his role as a DC.

6 playoff games as a HC including an AFC Championship game.

That is the next hurdle for Nagy as a coach. He was not great in the playoff game and having an experienced HC on staff that he can lean on would be an asset.

10 hours ago, TB 1 said:

The Bears defense might not get as many INT's but shouldn't regress in terms of yards or points allowed at all. Turnovers can come and go.The case can be made that all of Smith,Floyd and Nichols can get better. Floyd had a very good 2nd half of the season. Elite defenses can play that way for 3-5 years before tailing off as only Hicks and Prince are  near 30.

The offense has to get better to win a Super Bowl.

Yeah, I don't get all the doom and gloom per the defense. Who is leaving? Who is coming off a career threatening injury? Who is doing a Brown like sulk and out type funk?

Meanwhile, we've got several young defenders with a season or two under their belts and two are promising stars, Smith and Jackson, and another is looking to be at least very solid, Nichols, and still have Mack and Hicks. I think that the biggest issue outside of a horrendously bad hire of DC would be the injury bug.

Certainly, you can't assume we'll be ranked exactly the same and we'll likely play a bit tougher schedule, but as TB noted, I'm not concerned about the defense. I'm concerned about Mitch greatly improving his game coming into 2019 and the WR and Oline improving and finding enough solid backups with a limited draft stock.

The defense falling from 1st in points to 4th isn't crippling. Mitch and offense being the 2018 version in 2019 is the problem.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

This is why I like Pagano beyond his role as a DC.

6 playoff games as a HC including an AFC Championship game.

That is the next hurdle for Nagy as a coach. He was not great in the playoff game and having an experienced HC on staff that he can lean on would be an asset.

I like Pagano as well, but another good year for this Bears D and we could be looking at one and done for him also. Donatell would be less likely to get a HC opportunity IMO if and when that happens.

7 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I like Pagano as well, but another good year for this Bears D and we could be looking at one and done for him also. Donatell would be less likely to get a HC opportunity IMO if and when that happens.

Chuck does not really fit the profile of new HCs.

We need to find our Jim Scwhartz... hell of a coach on one side of the ball but no desire by the rest of the league to promote them to HC.

I think Chuck Pagano is that guy, as is Todd Bowles (but that ship has sailed).

It's not fair to him, I get it, but for whatever reason I just find an Ed Donatell promotion uninspiring. I think I'm still burnt from the "Mel Tucker will run Rod Marinelli's defense" fiasco. (Granted, this situation is different.)

8 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Chuck does not really fit the profile of new HCs.

Same could be said for Fangio.  Despite the recent trend not all teams are going to be looking to hire 35 year old so called offensive guru frat boys.

28 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Trading a #1 for Trent Richardson and using high picks on Jack Mewhort, Phillip Dorsett, D'Joun Smith, TJ Green, Leraven Clark, Bjoern Werner, and Hugh Thornton didn't help.

Agreed. Pagano is actually a really good coach, unfortunately he just got screwed by the front office.

26 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Trading a #1 for Trent Richardson and using high picks on Jack Mewhort, Phillip Dorsett, D'Joun Smith, TJ Green, Leraven Clark, Bjoern Werner, and Hugh Thornton didn't help.

Fair.

His 2011 defense in Baltimore was BALLER... but was it an aberration? Those defenses were a machine...

1 minute ago, Madmike90 said:

He can if he offers any promotions and Donatell is out of contract.

Donatell, correct. Anyone else, nope unless he is offering an assistant head coach title.

For example, Jay Rodgers is our DL coach, if Fangio offered him a DC position the Bears could block it since it's considered a lateral move in the NFL.

1 hour ago, 51to54 said:

Yeah, I don't get all the doom and gloom per the defense. Who is leaving? Who is coming off a career threatening injury? Who is doing a Brown like sulk and out type funk?

Meanwhile, we've got several young defenders with a season or two under their belts and two are promising stars, Smith and Jackson, and another is looking to be at least very solid, Nichols, and still have Mack and Hicks. I think that the biggest issue outside of a horrendously bad hire of DC would be the injury bug.

Certainly, you can't assume we'll be ranked exactly the same and we'll likely play a bit tougher schedule, but as TB noted, I'm not concerned about the defense. I'm concerned about Mitch greatly improving his game coming into 2019 and the WR and Oline improving and finding enough solid backups with a limited draft stock.

The defense falling from 1st in points to 4th isn't crippling. Mitch and offense being the 2018 version in 2019 is the problem.

The flipside of that is looking at the 9ers downfall on defense after Fangio left....  The vast majority of the people who made pro bowls under him in SF never made a pro bowl again.  It's a rather large mistake to just dismiss the impact of the D-Cord vs Talent.... Hell...we still had much of our defense when Lovie got canned, and Mel Tucker drove us off a cliff within a single season.

Mel Tucker, fwiw, is also why I'm leary of a College coach coming in.... Mel is actually a really good college level DC, and he was positively atrocious at the NFL level.

I don't really have a personal favorite right now....Neither Donatell or Pagano is really moving the needle for me yet... and the only guy I'd trust schematically to do it is Rex Ryan, who I don't think is even a consideration (and for good reason... his antics/personality wouldn't mesh with our team culture at all.)..... I feel like gambling on an up and coming guy might be the best option here, but I don't have any good ideas on that front...and it likely won't matter anyhow, as Pace's post season presser is scheduled for Monday, and I'm quite positive we'll have Donatell or Pagano locked in by then without much time to look at many other options. I expect this to get wrapped up within a day or so.

Archived