Incels?

TecmoSuperJoe

Hope this isn't too political for this place. Just wanted to start a dialogue here. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can watch this mini doc: 

Or...for the lazy, and incel is a person, usually a young male that has taken it upon themselves to blame society, in particular women, for the cause of their mental anguish, and inability to get laid. They've created a misogynistic community that loathes in self pity. It spews venom towards women that they are believe are too beautiful to exist (nicknamed "Stacys') that only go for certain men (nicknamed Chads') that are so handsome/tall/successful/while being a perceived jerk, that they are unfairly making all the worthwhile women fall in love with them instead of the other, "lesser" portion of the male populace. All due to their "genetic superiority". 

Have you ever met one in reality? Do you know anyone that might be on the verge of becoming one? I'm always interested in societal phenomenons like this. Sadly, this relatively newer one has led to some unfortunate incidents resulting in the harm or death of innocent people in the name of the Incel movement. Now, when I was in grade school I was not a ladies man at all. Sure I got frustrated, but never to the point of what this incel movement has evolved into. But is this in part a result of a new age victimization among society itself, which can also bleed into other platforms? Or is this just a brooding situation that has finally risen to the surface with the prominence of the digital age? This hive mentality that has spawned from the incel community is pretty disturbing to me. I just wish there was a way to change the mentality of some of these young men that are bellyaching, because they aren't getting laid. Not saying "just be a man", but be proactive. Start working out. Learn another language. Read a PUA book. Something. Anything that gets you out of the dungeon, even if it seems like a ridiculous society gimmick to make yourself happy by chasing women all the time. I'm a big fan of positive thinking regardless of where you are in life. That is something that I've only recently learned the last year or so as I got into my thirties. Not to get too personal, but consistently having negative, depressive thoughts even really can lead down a dark road. I know this well. 

Too bad some of these folks just refuse to look at the other side of the coin, and want to bask in a pool of negative "comfort". What advice would you give? 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

I haven't met one in person, but I posted on another football forum with one. HIs views towards women were sickening. The forum tried to get him to stop going to the Incel forums and seek help. Not sure if we succeeded or not (he hasn't been around in awhile). It's the unfortunate part of the internet. People find their echo chambers.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

TBH, I think I was on the path towards it about 8-10 years ago. It's scary to think how easy a person can get this way. Thankfully some things in my life changed and this never fully happened. 

I was also headed that way before a few things happened.  First I decided to count up the number of women who wanted to get with but I did not want to be with. Second was to count up the number of women where the attraction was mutual but circumstances prevented getting together. Third was adding up the number of women I was  actually able to get with.Fourth was reading articles that explained how there is a gender gap in the birth stats for my age group where there were more live male births in the years around when I was born causing a relative shortage of females.Adding all of that up forced my to realize how much bad luck there is in life. Remember I was born in 1964 and all of this got started in 1980. In 1986 I found out that at least 1 million Americans were infected with HIV. That put the zap on my head. By the late 1980s the STD crisis was raging and I realized it was probably a good thing that my zipper stayed up. I also began to view those men who consider themselves to be gigolos as fools to be pitied for they cannot control themselves and are headed for doom.

This type of thing is a problem with a lot of people and in a lot of different situations, not just misogyny and chauvinism.  It's this complete and total lack of accountability.  I watched like one minute of that clip before I couldn't stand it anymore.  The dude doesn't groom and he's got an oily face and he's dorky AF, and then you see like a Brady's Bunch credits picture of a bunch of neckbeards and peacockers and they're all blaming women when they're all nerds, dorks, gross, unfit, awkward...

Maybe instead of blaming external sources/people, look inward and blame yourself for your own shortcomings that you can fix.  It's like fat people saying people are biased against fat people.  If you believe that, put down the bear claw stop being fat. 

It's like people who blame others/the Government for being poor while using food stamps to buy cigarettes without having a job and having 7 kids (this is literally my cousin).  No, it's not the Government's fault you're poor.  You're poor because you won't get a job and you won't wear a damn condom. 

Incel is too kind a word for people like this, and I don't even know what incel stands for or is supposed to mean.  Add incels to the much broader collection of mouthbreathing idiots who fail to take accountability over their own actions/inaction. 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I don’t care what they do as long as they’re not harming people.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umpqua_Community_College_shooting

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Collier_Township_shooting

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_van_attack

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallahassee_shooting

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting

This type of hateful discussion and the people that buy into it can spiral quickly.

Edited by Dome
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dome said:

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting? 

There’s hateful little trolls everywhere on the internet. There’s nothing we can do about it. 

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I’m not sure what you’re suggesting? 

There’s hateful little trolls everywhere on the internet. There’s nothing we can do about it. 

I wasn’t really suggesting anything.

Just pointing out that just because most of these guys are harmless edgelords doesn’t mean they can’t be encouraged into action. At that point it’s not a bunch of harmless trolls on the internet. I was just quoting your “as long as they aren’t hurting anyone” comment because it stood out to me in the wake of several of these attacks that've happened in recent years

Elliot Rodger became a hero to the incel community. His manifesto isn’t seen as the ramblings of a hateful and broken man in the circles that pass it around. The Totonto attacker that killed 10 people praised Elliot Roger before going on a rampage of his own. 

These online echo chambers (like @jrry32 eluded to) can quickly take a dark turn because these guys are “yes, and-ing” each other into actually doing something. A psychotic evil fantasy can turn into a reality real quick.

You’re right that there are hateful trolls everywhere. Always have been, always will be.   

Edited by Dome