Incels?

TecmoSuperJoe

I think the "Incel" thing is probably a byproduct of a greater socioeconomic imbalance in today's society.  Unrealistic pressures and expectations of young men based on a "boomer era" married, child-producing person with a good stable career in their 20s framework.  A society that is leaving more and more people behind...is not a good one.

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I think the "Incel" thing is probably a byproduct of a greater socioeconomic imbalance in today's society.  Unrealistic pressures and expectations of young men based on a "boomer era" married, child-producing person with a good stable career in their 20s framework.  A society that is leaving more and more people behind...is not a good one.

err... i don't think so. throughout human history we have always been pushed to produce and succeed more, that's nothing new and not a product of the 20th century.

incels, not that i am an expert on the subject, are a product of ignorant, whiny men who would rather complain about their own problems and envision themselves as victims, rather than make attempts to better themselves.

47 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

err... i don't think so. throughout human history we have always been pushed to produce and succeed more, that's nothing new and not a product of the 20th century.

incels, not that i am an expert on the subject, are a product of ignorant, whiny men who would rather complain about their own problems and envision themselves as victims, rather than make attempts to better themselves.

It's obviously not a healthy way of dealing with things, and a toxic community that feeds on itself in a destructive way.  But i think it's still probably intrinsically linked to the sort of reasons the male suicide rate is like 3 times higher, especially among the sort of age range that tends to draw in those people.  Sometimes even tragically linked in a very direct way, when these "incels" opt for a twisted sort of martyrdom.

Personally, i'm just a kinda big believer in treating the cause, rather than the symptom.

2 hours ago, vike daddy said:

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

It's obviously not a healthy way of dealing with things, and a toxic community that feeds on itself in a destructive way.  But i think it's still probably intrinsically linked to the sort of reasons the male suicide rate is like 3 times higher, especially among the sort of age range that tends to draw in those people.  Sometimes even tragically linked in a very direct way, when these "incels" opt for a twisted sort of martyrdom.

Personally, i'm just a kinda big believer in treating the cause, rather than the symptom.

You're both kind of right. I think it's somewhere in the middle here.

1 hour ago, Fl0nkerton said:

You're both kind of right. I think it's somewhere in the middle here.

I mean, essentially...i think it's part of a broader mental health issue.  These are mentally unwell people who have adopted an unhealthy and destructive "coping mechanism".  But good quality mental health treatment isn't always financially available like it should be.  And even when it is, it tends to still be pretty heavily stigmatized...especially when it comes to that particular sort of machismo-driven subset of the population that are most vulnerable to that toxic "incel" type attitude/community.

41 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

What the hell is the difference between "Basement Dwellers" of the 80s-00s and incels 10s?

Just the ability to post on the internet, right?

they're both social losers, but the incels are mean spirited about it and blame the women in their lives for their misery. big difference.

29 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

they're both social losers, but the incels are mean spirited about it and blame the women in their lives for their misery. big difference.

I feel like you're giving the basement dwellers more credit than they deserve. Just because they couldn't reach out and bother someone on the internet doesn't mean they didn't harbor those same feelings.

With that said, I feel like we as a society just need to learn to roll our eyes at it. Who cares what some idiot on the internet thinks?

18 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I feel like you're giving the basement dwellers more credit than they deserve. Just because they couldn't reach out and bother someone on the internet doesn't mean they didn't harbor those same feelings. With that said, I feel like we as a society just need to learn to roll our eyes at it. Who cares what some idiot on the internet thinks?

Seriously.....to the degree that they have a sense of "oneness" and "inclusion" in their loser mentality.
Similar to QAnon. Loser's and stupid people unite and bond over their stupidity.

24 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Just because they couldn't reach out and bother someone on the internet doesn't mean they didn't harbor those same feelings.

errr... so now we damn people because they might have felt a certain way they never expressed?

seems like a reach.

Archived