Mornhinweg Out as Offensive Coordinator, Roman In

coordinator0

Concerned about the possibility of Marty staying on as a "passing game coordinator" which is apparently one option. I actually think he'd be fine as a QB coach (and move Urban to WR's where he's worked before) but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he has anything to offer in terms of conceptualizing the passing game. The right move if we're gonna have a passing game coordinator would be to bring in a fresh face to supplement Roman in the passing game - maybe someone from the college game or someone with a background in spread concepts, to see what we can integrate into Roman's offense. 

New ideas/perspectives will be useful for making sure we're making the most of Lamar's potential.

11 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Concerned about the possibility of Marty staying on as a "passing game coordinator" which is apparently one option. I actually think he'd be fine as a QB coach (and move Urban to WR's where he's worked before) but there's absolutely nothing to suggest he has anything to offer in terms of conceptualizing the passing game. The right move if we're gonna have a passing game coordinator would be to bring in a fresh face to supplement Roman in the passing game - maybe someone from the college game or someone with a background in spread concepts, to see what we can integrate into Roman's offense. 

New ideas/perspectives will be useful for making sure we're making the most of Lamar's potential.

Yeah. That's the big downside to this. Hopefully Marty doesn't take his demotion in stride and leaves.

Lol at Marty's pride basically bailing us out of Harbaugh's loyalty getting in the way to the very end. 

That's great news though. If it was a 'passing game coordinator' kind of position that Harbaugh was offering to Marty, then I hope this means it's a position we intend to fill, and that we actually look outside of the existing staff, and outside of Harbaugh's usual list of retread contacts, to fill it. There's an opportunity to go a little more outside of the box here to introduce some newer/inventive ideas to the offense and passing game - and there's very little downside in going in that direction. 

Love this move. I thought this was an eventuality when Roman was added to the staff. I figured some midseason slump would've triggered it, but I guess that playoff game was it.

Roman has a very strong track record given what he has had to work with, IMO. I think he was kind of the backseat driver to a lot of the concepts we've been running and we should have a more "coordinated" strategy on offense now.

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

should've hired Kubiak smh

Nobody could have.  Denver was blocking all interview requests for OC positions as he was still under contract in his front office role.  Elway wanted him to be OC regardless of who was hired as HC.

EDIT: I take that back.  Apparently Kubiak and Elway had differing opinions on offensive staffing so he won't be taking the job

BTerp has expressed my thoughts exactly.

I was not expecting this to happen at all because John is loyal to a fault to his coordinators, and it seems this only slightly changed. Hopefully whatever changes are made to the offensive coaching staff will be to help develop Lamar as a passer and the offense next year won't double down on the running game

I’ve got to think that James Urban will stay on as the QB Coach. He’s proven he’s great at developing talent and I’m sure he’s looking to be on the HC track. If we try and move him, it might make him less likely to stay on the staff and I really like the background that he brings to the table. Too often HCs come from OC positions and those usually come from QB coaches more often than not. If Urban continues to develop Lamar, I’m sure he might be the guy to take over for Roman if he moves on.

In fact, I wouldn’t be against James Urban taking over as a “pass game coordinator”. He comes from Cincy and developing so many of their recent receivers but before that he spent plenty of time with Andy Reid. Both of those teams excelled in their passing games, I’d be interested in seeing what Urban could bring to the table.

Plus I’m sure whoever Harbaugh brings in for said position would be some old vanilla coach anyway, so I’d rather we just stick with an unproven commodity that could actually have some success in said role.

2 hours ago, drd23 said:

Nobody could have.  Denver was blocking all interview requests for OC positions as he was still under contract in his front office role.  Elway wanted him to be OC regardless of who was hired as HC.

EDIT: I take that back.  Apparently Kubiak and Elway had differing opinions on offensive staffing so he won't be taking the job

He would obviously be better for the passing game than Marty. It also changes the Flacco conversation a bit. Those who were previously blocked will now have free reign to pursue Gary. The Falcons hired Dirk, but the Jaguars are hanging out there. Them hiring Kubiak would be perfect, and would nearly cement a deal for Flacco imo.

Bobby Engram apparently being moved to TE coach. Very Harbaugh thing to do to re-assign an underperforming coach rather than firing him but either way good news given how poorly our receivers have developed under Engram.

Could see us moving Urban over to WR coach given the success he had in Cincy doing that. And then round things out with an outside hire for a QB coach/passing game coordinator kind of role (Bobby Petrino maybe?). 

24 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Bobby Engram apparently being moved to TE coach. Very Harbaugh thing to do to re-assign an underperforming coach rather than firing him but either way good news given how poorly our receivers have developed under Engram.

Could see us moving Urban over to WR coach given the success he had in Cincy doing that. And then round things out with an outside hire for a QB coach/passing game coordinator kind of role (Bobby Petrino maybe?). 

While that makes sense for the staff, I don’t know why Urban would agree to that. Would be a downgrade going from QB Coach to WR coach. Not “technically” but from a potential promotion to OC standpoint. He now stays the third coach in the offensive pecking order behind Roman and an outside hire, ensuring that he sees less opportunities to be one of the next NFL offensive coordinators. That lack of growth in his role would likely see him move on for another opportunity where he can prove himself as capable.

Now in terms of being more involved with receivers, if we bring in another WR coach and Urban gets the title of pass game coordinator, he can continue to working with Lamar to build consistency, while also influencing the WR development with a grander influence. He’d be the second coach in the offensive ranks and thus would ensure that he earns himself looks as a potential OC candidate moving forward. And possibly even a HC spot if a team feels he’s the next Sean McVay type of candidate and they select a mobile QB.

All in all I’ve got to imagine that Urban would do his best to maintain his current position, it just makes the most sense for him from a career standpoint.

Archived