Jump to content
coordinator0

Mornhinweg Out as Offensive Coordinator, Roman In

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Bobby Engram apparently being moved to TE coach. Very Harbaugh thing to do to re-assign an underperforming coach rather than firing him but either way good news given how poorly our receivers have developed under Engram.

Could see us moving Urban over to WR coach given the success he had in Cincy doing that. And then round things out with an outside hire for a QB coach/passing game coordinator kind of role (Bobby Petrino maybe?). 

Who said that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

 

That explains why I couldn't find it on my timeline then! I agree with you, though. Moving him to TE's coach when he couldn't even coach up the position HE PLAYED is......a classic Harbaugh move. I get that Engram is for all purposes a great person and he suffered unspeakable tragedy this year, but you have to know when enough is enough and it's time to fire a guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot about his daughter passing away this season... my guess is that it probably played a role in Harbs keeping him on, basically trying to take care of him/give him another chance given everything that happened while still demoting him/trying to address a problem area. We had an assistant TE coach who worked with Roman at that position this season so at least Engram wouldn't be taking the position on by himself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Kubiak looking for an OC position elsewhere than Denver. Told ya. Sigh.

On one hand I really want Kubes back.

On the other, what are the odds that he goes back to being a HC one year after a good season as OC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

On one hand I really want Kubes back.

On the other, what are the odds that he goes back to being a HC one year after a good season as OC?

I think its more likely Kubiak leaves because of another stroke rather than getting an HC job.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, DreamKid said:

He would obviously be better for the passing game than Marty. It also changes the Flacco conversation a bit. Those who were previously blocked will now have free reign to pursue Gary. The Falcons hired Dirk, but the Jaguars are hanging out there. Them hiring Kubiak would be perfect, and would nearly cement a deal for Flacco imo.

Everyone is thinking the same thing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of Kubiak, he probably wouldn’t have been the best fit for our squad schematically. He’s a ZBS coach and our OL has been building towards a Power and trap scheme. Our OL outside of probably Stanley is built for that. Not saying he couldn’t make a ZBS work with such big guys, but it would certainly be a curious fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

In terms of Kubiak, he probably wouldn’t have been the best fit for our squad schematically. He’s a ZBS coach and our OL has been building towards a Power and trap scheme. Our OL outside of probably Stanley is built for that. Not saying he couldn’t make a ZBS work with such big guys, but it would certainly be a curious fit.

I really like what Kubiak did with us, but I also believe he isn't a fit for what we are going to build moving forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup. I'm more in favor of going towards the spread offensive concepts with Lamar than bottling up the field with the heavy sets that Kubiak prefers. Baltimore is down to Andrews, Hurst, and Keizer under contract at tight end. No need to force a system utilizing four of them anymore. Hopefully at least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, coordinator0 said:

Yup. I'm more in favor of going towards the spread offensive concepts with Lamar than bottling up the field with the heavy sets that Kubiak prefers. Baltimore is down to Andrews, Hurst, and Keizer under contract at tight end. No need to force a system utilizing four of them anymore. Hopefully at least. 

Kubiak would run with Boyle and Williams as inline tight ends, while we just drafted two tight ends who excels as down field pass catchers. I still think we should try to bring back both Boyle and Maxx Williams, but run more sets with Hurst and Andrews on the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Danand said:

Kubiak would run with Boyle and Williams as inline tight ends, while we just drafted two tight ends who excels as down field pass catchers. I still think we should try to bring back both Boyle and Maxx Williams, but run more sets with Hurst and Andrews on the field.

I think it's a mistake trying to utilize all those guys. None of them end up playing enough snaps to really get into any sort of productive rhythm. Especially for the pass-catchers. They need as many snaps and targets with Jackson as they can get. If Keizer offers any sort of blocking value I'm fine with that group. If not find someone else later in the draft or as an UDFA and call it good. Andrews and Hurst are more than enough at TE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I think it's a mistake trying to utilize all those guys. None of them end up playing enough snaps to really get into any sort of productive rhythm. Especially for the pass-catchers. They need as many snaps and targets with Jackson as they can get. If Keizer offers any sort of blocking value I'm fine with that group. If not find someone else later in the draft or as an UDFA and call it good. Andrews and Hurst are more than enough at TE.

I think it would be a great group, Boyle being the primary blocker, Andrews the primary slot, Hurst the do-it-all and Williams being the last one who could be used as a fullback also. That would allow us to move Ricard to dline permanently to see if he could evolve into something there.

I don't really have an opinion on Keizer as I haven't seen enough of him. I just think there is enough potential with the current group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yea, at this point I'm more comfortable with a streamlined approach. Hurst and Andrews are beasts. Let them stay on the field and let's farm big plays out of them consistently. If you are dependent on your TEs to run the ball, there's an issue. 

Even before the rules became what they are. Players like Hayden & Mark were incredibly valuable, large sure handed targets that can attack defenses vertically. Now though, with defenders being neutered to such a degree- their value has tripled. Feed them and your success % is going through the roof. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×