Mornhinweg Out as Offensive Coordinator, Roman In

coordinator0

3 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

I'm much more interested in Culley's role as the passing game coordinator.

Same.

The fact that Reid held him in high enough regard to give him the Assistant Head Coach title gives me some hope.  And fwiw is seems he's been coaching WRs in the NFL for over 20 years (TB 1994-95, Pittsburgh 96-98, Philly 1999-2012, KC 2013-2016), so he must be doing something right considering he didn't exactly have the pedigree of being a former NFL player to fall back on

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

If he actually manages to make either Lasley or Scott a starter this hire is a success. colour me sceptic due to his recent history with Zay Jones and Kelvin Benjamin. The latter being a headcase obviously.

When he was with the Bills he was their QB's coach - he didn't work with WR's.

I agree with those more interested in his role as a passing game coordinator, but in terms of his accomplishments as a WR coach, seems worth mentioning that his final year in KC was as positional coach for Tyreek Hill's rookie year when he caught 60 passes for 6 touchdowns, good numbers for a rookie at a position that doesn't always translate to instant success in the NFL, let alone a raw 5th round rookie making the jump up from D2 college ball. 

Now, Tyreek Hill has since established himself as an elite talent and doesn't owe his success to David Culley or any other position coach. But if we're trying to establish any sort of linkage between him and the guys he coached, it's certainly not a bad sign for Culley that he was there at a crucial/early part of Tyreek's development. 

1 hour ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I agree with those more interested in his role as a passing game coordinator, but in terms of his accomplishments as a WR coach, seems worth mentioning that his final year in KC was as positional coach for Tyreek Hill's rookie year when he caught 60 passes for 6 touchdowns, good numbers for a rookie at a position that doesn't always translate to instant success in the NFL, let alone a raw 5th round rookie making the jump up from D2 college ball. 

Now, Tyreek Hill has since established himself as an elite talent and doesn't owe his success to David Culley or any other position coach. But if we're trying to establish any sort of linkage between him and the guys he coached, it's certainly not a bad sign for Culley that he was there at a crucial/early part of Tyreek's development. 

Are you confusing WR's with TE's?

8 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Are you confusing WR's with TE's?

Confused by your rebuttal. WR is a historically a difficult position to crack with elite production from the onset. Generally the only ones that do are indeed elite collegiate talents in the mold of AJ Green or Larry Fitzgerald.

19 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

literally every coach in the nfl does this for every hire dude.

everyone coaches with everyone else in the nfl at some point man. it's an old boys club.

can we agree that Belichik is the golden standard for NFL coaches? maybe check on his coaching hires before talking out of your behind.

none of his current staff in notable positions worked with him elsewhere, in fact most of them like McDaniels were recruited right out of college.

don't have interest or time to check on more teams but excuse me for wanting my fav club to maybe go in a different direction for once when there usual way of hiring has produced very little success to say the least. as mentioned earlier i hope Culley develops Lasley/Scott but there probably is a reason he was still available end of January when most new staffs have already been assembled.

1 hour ago, berlin calling said:

can we agree that Belichik is the golden standard for NFL coaches? maybe check on his coaching hires before talking out of your behind.

none of his current staff in notable positions worked with him elsewhere, in fact most of them like McDaniels were recruited right out of college.

don't have interest or time to check on more teams but excuse me for wanting my fav club to maybe go in a different direction for once when there usual way of hiring has produced very little success to say the least. as mentioned earlier i hope Culley develops Lasley/Scott but there probably is a reason he was still available end of January when most new staffs have already been assembled.

He was on staff elsewhere, not unemployed. 

7 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Confused by your rebuttal. WR is a historically a difficult position to crack with elite production from the onset. Generally the only ones that do are indeed elite collegiate talents in the mold of AJ Green or Larry Fitzgerald.

Not recently. WR's haven't had any troubles contributing as rookies, especially if they're guys who are mocked to the Ravens but passed up on several times before going to other teams. Stefon Diggs, JuJu, Michael Thomas, DJ Moore. The list goes on, but in recent years it's getting easier and easier for rookie WR's to make immediate impacts on their teams, even if they aren't elite prospects coming out of college.

10 hours ago, berlin calling said:

naaa i think it's you who's talking out of your behind bud. we have the 2nd most playoff wins in the NFL behind the pats since john's been here, and the 5th best regular season win %. 

youre a hater and that's ok. just embrace it 

35 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

naaa i think it's you who's talking out of your behind bud. we have the 2nd most playoff wins in the NFL behind the pats since john's been here, and the 5th best regular season win %. 

youre a hater and that's ok. just embrace it 

How do those stats change if you move the threshold to the last 5 years instead of the last 10?

he's been hiring his buddies for the last 10...why would you only count the last 5 when making the point that that technique has led to "very little success".

its an indelibly false statement. 100%. there's no ifs and or buts to argue that.

2 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

he's been hiring his buddies for the last 10...why would you only count the last 5 when making the point that that technique has led to "very little success".

its an indelibly false statement. 100%. there's no ifs and or buts to argue that.

We have 5+ years of RECENT trends with Harbaugh to analyze. It's worthless trying to evaluate what he did from 2008-2012 because those days are long gone. He's had full control over the roster and team since the Superbowl and since the retirement of Ed and Ray to make his mark and it's left us at exactly .500 with 2 playoff appearances and 1 win.

Now I've already said that I think Harbaugh is going away from those recent trends of the past 5 years, but the evidence is clearly there.

you choosing something from 2015 is just as irrelevant as 2009 if you're making that argument dude. that team is like 90% gone. if this is the game you're playing, why wouldn't you just count the last 2 years? instead of 5? where we're 19-13 and a 4th and 12 away from 2 straight playoff appearances? 

the fact of the matter is he said we've had very little success under john because he hires friends as coaches. he's done that his entire time here. so you look at the success rate since he's been doing that (11 years) to realize his original comment is utterly wrong.

and you bringing in control of the roster and other aspects of his coaching literally has zero bearing on what i called the previous guy out about. so

6 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

you choosing something from 2015 is just as irrelevant as 2009 if you're making that argument dude. that team is like 90% gone. if this is the game you're playing, why wouldn't you just count the last 2 years? instead of 5? where we're 19-13 and a 4th and 12 away from 2 straight playoff appearances? 

the fact of the matter is he said we've had very little success under john because he hires friends as coaches. he's done that his entire time here. so you look at the success rate since he's been doing that (11 years) to realize his original comment is utterly wrong.

and you bringing in control of the roster and other aspects of his coaching literally has zero bearing on what i called the previous guy out about. so

I'm not doing 2015, I'm going 2013-2018.

And yeah, he has been doing it since he got here but post-2013 is when most of the nucleus of this team left (including Ray and Ed) and it fully transformed to Harbaugh's team. Since then.....

6 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I'm not doing 2015, I'm going 2013-2018.

And yeah, he has been doing it since he got here but post-2013 is when most of the nucleus of this team left (including Ray and Ed) and it fully transformed to Harbaugh's team. Since then.....

i don't understand what you don't understand. 

the conversation that just happened in a different context is this:

dude: "ever since this house has been painted black we've had very little tornados hit."

me: "it's been black for 11 years. we've had 7 tornados hit in the last 11 years..."

you: "yeah but we've only had 1 tornado in the last 5 years".

you get how your response has nothing to do with my response to what he said, right?

just read your first sentence lol the 2015 season is included in the time frame of 2013-2018 bud. you must be on that good medical out there lol

Archived