Greg Roman promoted to Ravens OC

JAF-N72EX

Upgrading on Mornhinweg makes total sense.  His failure to adjust vs. LAC was the final nail in the coffin as the O was entirely predictable pre and post Lamar (just hard to beat the 1st time through with Lamar starting). 

Roman’s familiarity with a run based O makes sense.   But he never really helped either CK / Tyrod improve on their passer skills.   Now maybe they were truly lost causes.  But it would be nice to see BAL bring in a guy who can also develop the read progression / D recognition side of things as QBC.   Ideally it could have been a guy like Monken but as long as they find someone else to work on Lamar’s QB-passer skills it can work.  If this is the big fix alone it’s not enough.  I’d hope to see an additional hire on the QB development aspect later.  

Still MM is out.  That’s the first correct step.  Just that the process isn’t done yet to help Lamar really take the next step and by extension the BAL O.  

40 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Makes sense. Roman coordinated the offenses with Kaepernick and Tyrod.

Pretty much. 

His passing concepts suck, but the man can coordinate the hell out of a running game, not to mention what he can get from quarterbacks with Jackson's skillset with this kind of gameplan. 

This move is very much welcomed by me. Greg Roman's running concepts over the last two years between Alex Collins and now with Lamar have been phenomenal. The play calling, on the other hand (aka Marty's job) has been very lackluster.

There is very much a need on this team for someone who can come in and install passing concepts that also don't suck, but that's going to have to be an outside hire because apparently nobody on this staff knows what a pick play is and how to execute it without getting your guys flagged for OPI.

Overall, I'm just shocked Harbaugh didn't wait until 2 1/2 years after the right time to make a personnel change. 

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

So if that last game doesn't happen, or if the Ravens won it, does this still happen?

Most likely no, but I think even harbaugh realized the offensive playcalling was inconsistent at best.

1 hour ago, kramxel said:

So if that last game doesn't happen, or if the Ravens won it, does this still happen?

Probably. 

Baltimore is a smart organization, they had to know this wasn't going to be sustainable going forward. 

Archived