Yankees Sign DJ Lemahieu (2/$24MM), Disavow Smugness/Machado

ramssuperbowl99

20 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Jeffrey Loria is the shadow owner of all 30 MLB teams.

But seriously.  In what universe do the New York freaking Yankees NOT sign one of the 2 26 year old superstar talents the offseason after their arch rivals win the WS AND they are under the LT threshold?

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

But seriously.  In what universe do the New York freaking Yankees NOT sign one of the 2 26 year old superstar talents the offseason after their arch rivals win the WS AND they are under the LT threshold?

In a couple years, you've got arbitration kicking in for a lot of young players and then you have to think of how to keep them under contract- Severino and Judge specifically.  

Simply put, I don't count out the Yankees yet.  This could simply be a case of Machado not wanting to accept below a certain amount, and the Yankees refusing to go above a certain amount, but leaving the contract on the table.  $12 million for two seasons of LeMahieu is not going to preclude the Yankees from signing Machado, but it will be on their terms as it should be- they've also got to be concerned about getting contracts done in the future as I mentioned above.  If Machado accepts the Yankees contract, there are a variety of things that can happen to make it work from a roster perspective. 

12 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

In a couple years, you've got arbitration kicking in for a lot of young players and then you have to think of how to keep them under contract- Severino and Judge specifically.  

And in those few years you're total revenue is 2 billion ******* dollars.

6 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And in those few years you're total revenue is 2 billion ******* dollars.

The league is going to be making upwards of $20B a year in gross revenue in 2021. The Yankees can afford to keep literally anybody they want. Who gives a rats *** about luxury tax thresholds you're the bleeping Yankees.

I fully expect, and support, the players losing a FULL SEASON at this point. It's going to be a knock down, drag out, ******* brawl.

Two of the best players of their generation, in their age 26 seasons, the ENTIRE prime of their career, and they can't get a single commensurate offer.

The league is going to burn, and it should burn.

I mean even just from a basic marketing perspective, how the hell is the league not nudge nudging the Phillies or the Cubs or literally anybody other than the freaking White Sox to sign Machado?

They constantly make stupid, antethetical to the game changes because they're terrified of losing viewers that weren't going to tune into a baseball game regardless if it's 10 minutes shorter on average. And yet they let the biggest names in the sport go to a place that nobody goes to see games, has no fans, has no market overlap, and has no hope of being marketed?

So stupid. They should be calling Cashman every day and abandoning all subtlety to get one of these idiots on the Yankees.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I mean even just from a basic marketing perspective, how the hell is the league not nudge nudging the Phillies or the Cubs or literally anybody other than the freaking White Sox to sign Machado?es.

Because the owners installed a commissioner with no clout before he took the job.

Archived