Jets to hire Gregg Williams as DC

barnaby8787

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

I'm not quite as up on your personnel as i was a couple of seasons ago. Can you move to the 4-3 pretty easily?

Yes pretty much we need to add a SAM and 2 DE/Edge(which we were going to do anyway)

16 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Good Hire

I was just going to ask what are the Jets doing about a DC, sounds like the people on this board like this move. Never was a fan of Rodgers. So this hire could be another piece of the puzzle. We still need a few more pieces to complete the puzzle. Nice to wake up to good news for a change.

5 hours ago, doumeyer said:

I was just going to ask what are the Jets doing about a DC, sounds like the people on this board like this move. Never was a fan of Rodgers. So this hire could be another piece of the puzzle. We still need a few more pieces to complete the puzzle. Nice to wake up to good news for a change.

He has a Rex Ryan intensity which is good. This staff personality wise has taken a big turn. Bowles is a mannequin never showing any emotion and our coordinators kinda stayed back bc of that. Gase is an intense guy and so is Williams.

8 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I love the 3-4, but we've sucked at adding talent that fit it over the years. Teams like the Texans, Bears, Ravens, and Titans did it correctly and are top 5 defenses. 

I think finding LBs in a 4-3 isn’t hard. For me we have good DTs already for a 4-3. Rotate them. DE is our issue. I don’t want Leo or Anderson ever at DE as a pure pass rusher. Ideally we could get 2 DEs. Maybe a big name in FA and a mid round guy. Or an ok FA and use the 3rd pick on a guy. I don’t want us spending all of our money once again on defense.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I think finding LBs in a 4-3 isn’t hard. For me we have good DTs already for a 4-3. Rotate them. DE is our issue. I don’t want Leo or Anderson ever at DE as a pure pass rusher. Ideally we could get 2 DEs. Maybe a big name in FA and a mid round guy. Or an ok FA and use the 3rd pick on a guy. I don’t want us spending all of our money once again on defense.

As long as we get the right guys, I don't care where the money goes honestly. If we stick with the 34, we can just plug in a NT, OLB, and a #2 CB and be set. We can use free agency for that and use the draft & the rest of the cap for everything else if we wanted. I really don't care for the 4-3 defense, but I think it's going to happen. 

25 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I love the 3-4, but we've sucked at adding talent that fit it over the years. Teams like the Texans, Bears, Ravens, and Titans did it correctly and are top 5 defenses. 

we literally never had an outside rusher from the time we transitioned to the 3-4 in 06, literally never. I cant wait to make the switch back. It has been long overdue.

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

we literally never had an outside rusher from the time we transitioned to the 3-4 in 06, literally never. I cant wait to make the switch back. It has been long overdue.

Yeah, that's not a scheme problem. It's just having people who think people like Coples are better than Chandler Jones. Add someone like Dee Ford this offseason and that changes the defense. We've been adding terrible players over the years and that's why it hasn't worked. There is a reason why most of the top 5 scoring defenses run the 3-4, it's a harder defense to plan for.

I'm thrilled with Gregg Williams, absolutely thrilled. Once he meets with Gase (I think tomorrow), everything should become official baring anything unforeseen. 

We need a crazy SOB to come in here and whip the defense into shape. What I like about Williams is he has the pulse of the players. He knows when he needs to put the foot on the gas and yell/scream, but is also aware when that doesn't work and is capable of being more toned down. The one common theme since 2015? Usually its the defensive players who would show up late, miss meetings, etc. Gregg Williams will not tolerate that. He's going to coach them hard and demand them to be accountable. 

Maybe its the bias Jets fan in me, but watch out for this unit to be a top 5 defense in the NFL.

Archived