2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting LG

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting LG position?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting LG position?

• Sign back Tom Compton
    • Sign back Nick Easton
    • Sign an external free agent (specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting LG
    • Promote Danny Isidora
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

We did this last a couple of years ago, I think it's time to drag it back up to evaluate where the Vikings go from here, so they can make a triumphant return to the playoffs next year.  Let's start with the starting LG position...

2018 depth at the position:  Tom Compton, Danny Isidora

2019 Outgoing Free Agents: Tom Compton, Nick Easton

Potential Free Agents Available: Mike Iupati, Rodger Saffold, Billy Turner, Chance Warmack, Mark Glowinski

Potential Draftees:  Chris Lindstrom (Boston College), Michael Deiter (Wisconsin), Darryl Williams (Mississippi St), Cody Ford (Oklahoma)

What should the Vikings do to improve this position?  Sign a free agent, Draft a replacement, or Promote from Within?

The Vikings should sign a free agent to start at LG. Then, if available, they should draft a guy that can compete this year and next year to take that free agent's starting job.

Roger Saffold is the first free agent I would target. If he doesn't make it to free agency look at Mark Glowinski and Billy Turner.

Sign Compton to come back as a swing backup. If the team thinks Nick Easton is healthy sign him to be the starting center.

4 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I think we resign Compton and draft a middle rounder (3-4) for the LG position. I personally think that's the most likely scenario. Spend the higher draft pick pick at RG.

Sadly, you are probably right but the question was what should they do. Not what do we think they will do. I would have answered differently if the question was what we think they'll do.

I think they will miss out on guards in free agency because they will not value them right so that will sign Compton or someone like him to start. Then they will not value guards correctly in the draft and they will draft the next Danny Isidora or David Yankey.

Afterwards, the only reasonable thing for Wilf to do will be to fire Rick Spielman. A new GM will result in Mike Zimmer being let go after the year.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

Sadly, you are probably right but the question was what should they do. Not what do we think they will do. I would have answered differently if the question was what we think they'll do.

I think they will miss out on guards in free agency because they will not value them right so that will sign Compton or someone like him to start. Then they will not value guards correctly in the draft and they will draft the next Danny Isidora or David Yankey.

Afterwards, the only reasonable thing for Wilf to do will be to fire Rick Spielman. A new GM will result in Mike Zimmer being let go after the year.

As unpopular as it will be, I kind of think my answer is what I think we should do. Compton was serviceable. Keep him (or sign a similarly priced FA) and use a 3-4 on a LG and let them compete. 

I would use a 1-2 on RG. I'm sure the team has confidence that Elflein will improve, so you take and athletic RG high so that you have 3 high level athletes at C, RG, RT. That will open up the stretch run, screen, and play action game. 

I don't think we should spend 1st and 2nd on OL. Maybe we can sign more of a mid-tier FA than Compton to improve LG.

41 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Why isn't Ramon Foster listed as the a potential available free agent? When giving the answer of what free agents I would target I only considered the players listed in the original post.

I only added guys that were at the top of the payroll list and those guys that also fall in the target age range (25-27) of free agents that they typically go after.  Foster didn't fall in either category, so he didn't make that list, but he's certainly an option, just like many other guys like Jermon Bushrod, Andy Levitre, Jonathan Cooper, and AJ Cann. 

I don't bring back Compton.  I follow up an early round OL with another OL sometime in rounds 2-4.  Those two plus Easton (assuming fully recovered) and Isadora battle it out for both Guard spots.  If a potential starting Guard can be found in FA (Glowinski, Cann) for a "reasonable" price I add them to the competition.

Quinton Spain is another good FA option to consider at OG. It looks like there are quite a few decent options set to hit FA this year. Hopefully some of them make it and then the Vikings get someone locked up. Currently it looks like it will be an excellant free agent class at the position.

4 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Quinton Spain is another good FA option to consider at OG. It looks like there are quite a few decent options set to hit FA this year. Hopefully some of them make it and then the Vikings get someone locked up. Currently it looks like it will be an excellant free agent class at the position.

Spain was benched at one point last year. That's alarming.

For the free agents here are the guys of note at OT, and OG to me

OT
Trenton Brown - who knows if the Patriots will pay up for him, but kid has played great for them this year, is a possible star down the road.
Bobby Massie - probably will resign with Bears.
Jordan Mills - might not resign but probably will with Bills.

OG
Rodger Saffold - would be shocked to see the Rams let him go
JR Sweezy - athletic OG, would be hard to get
Mark Glowinski - tough guy and has had a great year, doubt the Colts let him go though but he is very interesting
DJ Fluker - would like getting him, big mauler but probably will not happen
Nick Easton - Is a free agent for the Vikings, do we bring him back I have no idea.
John Miller - could be cheap and is a decent player at times
AJ Cann - strong guard, might be reasonable cost.
Jeff Allen - versatile OL but probably will stay
BJ Finney - could be of good value and might be cheap, strong player

In terms of the draft these guys:

OG
Dalton Risner Kansas State RS
Martez Ivey Florida
Nate Herbig Stanford OG JR 
Connor McGovern Penn State JR
Alex Bars Notre Dame
Beau Benzschawel Wisconsin RS
Dru Samia Oklahoma
Ross Pierschbacher Alabama RS
Michael Dieter Wisconsin RS
Yosuah Nijman Virgina Tech
Terronne Prescod NC State
Michael Jordan Ohio State JR
Chris Brown USC RS
Zack Bailey South Carolina
Garrett Brumfield LSU
Ben Powers Oklahoma
Patrick Vahe Texas
Jerald Foster Nebraska RS
Javon Patterson Ole Miss

OT
Jonah Williams Alabama JR
Greg Little Ole Miss JR
Jawaan Taylor Florida JR
Dalton Risner Kansas State RS
Cody Ford Oklahoma RS JR
Mitch Hyatt Clemson
Andre Dillard Washington State
Trevon Tate Memphis RS
Kaleb McGary Washington RS
David Edwards Wisconsin RS JR
Donnell Greene Minnesota RS
Bobby Evans Oklahoma JR
Isaiah Prince Ohio State
Yosuah Nijman Virgina Tech
Tyree St. Louis Miami FL
Stefano Millin Pitt RS
Yodny Cajuste West Virginia RS
Austin Hoyt BYU RS
Andre James UCLA RS JR
Marcus Applefield Virginia RS
Aaron Monteiro Boston College
Jordan Murray North Texas 
Chasz Wright Penn State RS
Zach Wallace Wyoming
Chuma Edoga USC
Juwann Bushell-Beatty Michigan RS
Blake Hance Northwestern RS

So they have options but most likely it would be through the draft with the 1st or 2nd round pick, ideally the 1st rounder unless someone falls that is too hard to pass up.  Guys in the later rounds who could be of great value would be guys like Trevon Tate, Donnell Greene or Dru Samia, Michael Dieter or Terronne Prescod.  Now I have said already I would love to basically give that contract we have with Mike Remmers to someone like Trent Brown on New England, I would do that in a second.  And regardless Remmers has to go without question.  

Sad thing is with Eflein does one draft a center and move him to guard, they must have tried him there, I wonder if he is better because he did struggle at center this past year a little.  If so guys like Ross Pierschbacher, Connor McGovern, Erik McCoy or later round Sam Mustipher would be of great interest.  I say McCoy for sure in terms of his talent and upside and could be a 3rd or 5th round pick who knows, depends on how he works out.  Regardless the OL should be #1 priority, just look at the Colts on TV in the playoffs right now, does not matter who the RB is when that OL blocks like that and protects like that.  It is just an absolute need for any team that wants to get to the Playoffs and win.

Archived