2019 Sign, Draft or Promote - Starting LG

swede700

How should the Vikings handle the starting LG position?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. How should the Vikings handle the starting LG position?

• Sign back Tom Compton
    • Sign back Nick Easton
    • Sign an external free agent (specify preference in thread)
    • Draft a new starting LG
    • Promote Danny Isidora
    • Other (specify preference in thread)

55 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It would be an upset for any other team to land Saffold, but the rest of the quote makes it clear that he'll consider what he can make elsewhere.

I don’t think that it’s any surprise to people to know that I want to be back,” Saffold said Tuesday, via Lindsey Thiry of ESPN.com. “At the end of the day, though, I need to make sure that it’s something fair for me… something I can use and feel that I was treated fair.”

I favor the Vikings making a run at it. They don't have so many options as to not try everything possible. I would rather pay Saffold than have to give up a draft pick to pay Osemele or Jackson. I would rather give up a draft pick for Osemele or Jackson than not sign any proven above average guard.

There are other options in play such as looking into what it would take to extract Scherff from the 'skins or signing Foster as a stopgap too.

Then there is the other guard spot. The team shouldn't be looking to spend $10M+ at the other guard spot; they'll be looking at a different set of guys for that.

After getting guys signed for those two positions the team needs to do what it takes in the draft to get players that can compete with these free agents, Reiff, and Elflein now and be solid options for the future. Ideally they get the best value they can on an offensive linemen with their first pick in the draft via trade and then pick up another offensive lineman in the second day of the draft.

• 2 weeks later...

According to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, Ben Garland will not be back with the team in 2019.

Garland is one of three players at guard set to become unrestricted free agents next month. Andy Levitre and Zane Beadles are also set to be free agents.

Garland was a defensive lineman in college at the Air Force Academy before moving to the offensive side of the ball in the NFL. He signed with the Denver Broncos and switch sides of the ball after a two-year military commitment. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/20/report-ben-garland-wont-be-back-with-falcons-in-2019/

Sounds like a free agent depth target for the Vikings, if I ever saw one.  

Archived