Jets on Verge to Hire Greg Williams as DC

49erurtaza

Kudos to Williams for having the self discipline to just ignore the 8 head coaching contracts that came to him in the mail following the season for him to sign and instead waiting to pick his moment for the best situation possible. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Kudos to Williams for having the self discipline to just ignore the 8 head coaching contracts that came to him in the mail following the season for him to sign and instead waiting to pick his moment for the best situation possible. 

The only thing Williams got in the mail about the 8 head HC openings was a newspaper.

I love Gregg Williams the man.

But I hate his defensive schemes. Be prepared to get gashed on outside runs and hitched to death for easy 1st downs. I do really like him and think he's a great personality to have around, but his defenses have some glaring weaknesses and he doesn't chameleon himself out of bad situations. The things that got him beat consistently never changed.

I'm rooting for him, but I have serious doubts about his ability as a defensive schemer.

8 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I love Gregg Williams the man.

But I hate his defensive schemes. Be prepared to get gashed on outside runs and hitched to death for easy 1st downs. I do really like him and think he's a great personality to have around, but his defenses have some glaring weaknesses and he doesn't chameleon himself out of bad situations. The things that got him beat consistently never changed.

I'm rooting for him, but I have serious doubts about his ability as a defensive schemer.

You know what his scheme is. Hell, I told y'all what it is lol. But as a Rams fan, I miss it. His scheme can be infuriating at times (the damn cushions and I hated his 3-man rushes on 3rd and long), but it makes it very difficult for opposing offenses to score a lot of TDs.

1 hour ago, 49erurtaza said:

Much better than his DC with the Dolphins (Burke).

1 hour ago, D82 said:

So Williams runs more of a 4-3 right? I think Leonard Williams will benefit playing a traditional 3-Tech

Yep, it's a 4-3. He's also good at integrating personnel from other schemes and building around what he has.

14 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

This guy is absolutely, 100000000% what the Jets defense needs just from his presence alone. I’ve seen guys loafing it under Todd Bowles for far too long.

Let me prepare you now ... get ready for your safeties to play 25 yards off the ball. With huge 3-5 yard cushions on WRs, teams WILL absolutely crush you with screens almost every play, and TEs WILL absolutely abuse you. Also you’ll have a GGG signature jag white guy calling plays and cutback/outside runs that’ll go for 20. But expect much higher energy, turnover ratio,attitude, and controlled chaos. I loved the way he would send house and blitz 

23 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Let me prepare you now ... get ready for your safeties to play 25 yards off the ball. With huge 3-5 yard cushions on WRs, teams WILL absolutely crush you with screens almost every play, and TEs WILL absolutely abuse you. Also you’ll have a GGG signature jag white guy calling plays and cutback/outside runs that’ll go for 20. But expect much higher energy, turnover ratio,attitude, and controlled chaos. I loved the way he would send house and blitz 

It's an aggressive bend but don't break defense. The philosophy behind it is you make teams have to go on 10+ play drives if they want to score TDs. That gives them little margin for error. That's where the aggression comes in. It forces negative plays that stall drives and turnovers. Plus, our defenses under Williams were usually stout in the red zone. It's a frustrating scheme at times because teams will nickel and dime on you all day long, but it was always hard for teams to score many TDs against us. The only thing I really hated about the scheme (I could deal with the 5+ yard cushions) was Williams rushing 3 DLs on 3rd and long (we had a beastly DL at that time; it made no sense to rush only 3).

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

Can’t be any worse than the last 3 years

Archived