Jets on Verge to Hire Greg Williams as DC

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, jrry32 said:

It's an aggressive bend but don't break defense. The philosophy behind it is you make teams have to go on 10+ play drives if they want to score TDs. That gives them little margin for error. That's where the aggression comes in. It forces negative plays that stall drives and turnovers. Plus, our defenses under Williams were usually stout in the red zone. It's a frustrating scheme at times because teams will nickel and dime on you all day long, but it was always hard for teams to score many TDs against us. The only thing I really hated about the scheme (I could deal with the 5+ yard cushions) was Williams rushing 3 DLs on 3rd and long (we had a beastly DL at that time; it made no sense to rush only 3).

i think this season it did pretty well for us, we definitely were talent deficient on the DL and effort deficient at LB when jamie collins was in the game.  had he had more talent in the front 7 i think we would have done a lot better against the run towards the end, but, was ok.   2017 was a different story, and he played peppers so far out of position he usually was in a different continent

54 minutes ago, mistakey said:

i think this season it did pretty well for us, we definitely were talent deficient on the DL and effort deficient at LB when jamie collins was in the game.  had he had more talent in the front 7 i think we would have done a lot better against the run towards the end, but, was ok.   2017 was a different story, and he played peppers so far out of position he usually was in a different continent

He always does that. The single-high FS plays 20 yards off the ball in his scheme. McLeod used to do that for us. Our run defense was good under Williams, but we had a very talented DL.

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Apparently the contract has not been signed, and the Redskins are trying to set up an interview for Tuesday.  I can't believe this franchise. 

That's hard to believe. IIRC, Gregg Williams hates Daniel Snyder. They had a big blowup years ago when Snyder picked Zorn over him. Williams has never seemed like a guy who lets grudges go.

Just now, jrry32 said:

That's hard to believe. IIRC, Gregg Williams hates Daniel Snyder. They had a big blowup years ago when Snyder picked Zorn over him. Williams has never seemed like a guy who lets grudges go.

I've said the exact same thing, but it appears that some people in Redskins Park are pushing hard for him.  And he would be doing the same thing to Greg Manusky that happened to him (interview while someone else is under contract.) . So who knows what is going on, but the pursuit is real from Washington's end. 

On 1/11/2019 at 8:31 PM, GangGreen420 said:

Can’t be any worse than the last 3 years

Its not, he runs a very fun to watch defense and players respond to him. He makes some in-game decisions that are head scratchers like playing a 'angel' safety 30 yards deep and he also gets overly aggressive and predictable with all out blitzes on 3rd down--thats where the screen passes eat you alive.

There are a few hiccups that will result in wide open plays for the offense, but 80% of the time its really fun to watch because he calls defense like a 16 y/o playing Madden with exotic blitzes, going for the big play, ect. You will like him. Thanks Greggggg

Archived