Browns set to hire Steve Wilks as DC

pwny

Not sure how he got this rep of being a talented DC.

Carolina’s defense fell off a cliff in the later half of the season when he was there & he refused to adjust.

Turned one of the best defenses in AZ into the worst run D in the league & blah overall.

3 hours ago, ClutchDJ said:

Not sure how he got this rep of being a talented DC.

Carolina’s defense fell off a cliff in the later half of the season when he was there & he refused to adjust.

Turned one of the best defenses in AZ into the worst run D in the league & blah overall.

Gosh man that what I keep hearing about this guy 

I think this is going to bite us for a year until there are some better candidates in 2020

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

Gosh man that what I keep hearing about this guy 

I think this is going to bite us for a year until there are some better candidates in 2020

We regressed, but it wasn't all his fault.  Wilks blitzed a lot, far more-so than McDermott (or at least it felt that way), and it left a lot of pressure on our not so good secondary.  They were well-designed blitzes and he was effective at getting pressure despite lacking the edge rushers (we went from 50 sacks in 2017 to 35 sacks in 2018).  However, because we didn't have the corners or safeties to keep up, we would get gashed in their air if we didn't get to the QB.  It's why we struggled against the Saints in 2017 but were much better against them in 2018 (Rivera was calling the plays + better secondary).  If Wilks had stayed with us in 2018, I think our defense would have looked a lot better under him with how much we improved our DBs.

So it's true he probably isn't going to adjust, but the Browns to my knowledge have much better DBs than the Panthers had especially with Denzel Ward.  So I think you guys should be fine. IIRC, McDermott had similar issues his first season calling defensive plays in Philly with balancing blitzes vs coverage and now he's one of the best defensive minds in football.  So Wilks, having learned under both him and Rivera, should hopefully get better.  I'm rooting for him anyway.

Just to point this out.  Despite fielding a more talented defense in 2018, we regressed in every way until Rivera took over defensive play-calling.  We were 11th in points and 9th in yards (and probably could have been better in points allowed if it wasn't for our incompetent, Shula-led offense) under WIlks.  We were far better at the run in 2017.  We were just as good, if not better, against the pass even though we didn't have Reid or Donte in '17.  Eric Washington was terrible, so can't discount that, but it still goes to show that it isn't like Wilks wasn't doing well.  He just had some things he could have changed due to the talent.

48 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

We regressed, but it wasn't all his fault.  Wilks blitzed a lot, far more-so than McDermott (or at least it felt that way), and it left a lot of pressure on our not so good secondary.  They were well-designed blitzes and he was effective at getting pressure despite lacking the edge rushers (we went from 50 sacks in 2017 to 35 sacks in 2018).  However, because we didn't have the corners or safeties to keep up, we would get gashed in their air if we didn't get to the QB.  It's why we struggled against the Saints in 2017 but were much better against them in 2018 (Rivera was calling the plays + better secondary).  If Wilks had stayed with us in 2018, I think our defense would have looked a lot better under him with how much we improved our DBs.

So it's true he probably isn't going to adjust, but the Browns to my knowledge have much better DBs than the Panthers had especially with Denzel Ward.  So I think you guys should be fine. IIRC, McDermott had similar issues his first season calling defensive plays in Philly with balancing blitzes vs coverage and now he's one of the best defensive minds in football.  So Wilks, having learned under both him and Rivera, should hopefully get better.  I'm rooting for him anyway.

Just to point this out.  Despite fielding a more talented defense in 2018, we regressed in every way until Rivera took over defensive play-calling.  We were 11th in points and 9th in yards (and probably could have been better in points allowed if it wasn't for our incompetent, Shula-led offense) under WIlks.  We were far better at the run in 2017.  We were just as good, if not better, against the pass even though we didn't have Reid or Donte in '17.  Eric Washington was terrible, so can't discount that, but it still goes to show that it isn't like Wilks wasn't doing well.  He just had some things he could have changed due to the talent.

We have very solid corners, so this isn’t a concern. Our safeties are very good too with Randall and peppers. My concern is getting to the QB. Outside of Garrett, the browns really struggle to get pressure. They need to upgrade 3 tech and the LDE position to folks who can get after the QB. 

12 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

We have very solid corners, so this isn’t a concern. Our safeties are very good too with Randall and peppers. My concern is getting to the QB. Outside of Garrett, the browns really struggle to get pressure. They need to upgrade 3 tech and the LDE position to folks who can get after the QB. 

This should be a good fit then.  Everyone in our front seven (even Kuechly to an extent) regressed this year.  LIS, it could just be a testament to how bad Washington was, but Wilks was great at generating pressure.  Garrett gonna have an even bigger year.

Just now, iknowcool said:

This should be a good fit then.  Everyone in our front seven (even Kuechly to an extent) regressed this year.  LIS, it could just be a testament to how bad Washington was, but Wilks was great at generating pressure.  Garrett gonna have an even bigger year.

🤤

Hopefully we get players to fit his scheme this offseason and don’t just sign/draft offense.

On 2019-01-11 at 7:57 PM, jrry32 said:

Uh oh, looks like Rapoport spoke too soon. Jim O'Neil has returned to reclaim his position. ;)

That's a name I had forgotten, but it returned in a flash and gave me chills... Is there a worse DC anywhere?

8 hours ago, rudyZ said:

That's a name I had forgotten, but it returned in a flash and gave me chills... Is there a worse DC anywhere?

Well he's on the raiders coaching staff (Senior defensive assistant) anywhere that guy coaches D goes to 💩.

8 hours ago, rudyZ said:

No. He was literally the worst defensive schemer in the universe. His schemes made no sense and the way in which he had guys filling gaps made my head explode. It was so confusing and bass ackwards.

8 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

No. He was literally the worst defensive schemer in the universe. His schemes made no sense and the way in which he had guys filling gaps made my head explode. It was so confusing and bass ackwards.

But at least he gave out championship belts after blowout losses. 

On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 9:55 AM, iknowcool said:

I appreciate the fair, down the middle assessment of Wilks, this is pretty much with I suspected of him. My question is if he had an ideal front 4 pass rush would he still blitz like he did, I can totally understand when you don't have the desired pass rush from your front. As far as what happened in AZ, I don't totally disregard it but I pretty much take it with a grain of salt since he didn't call the defense at all.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

lol I was reading this page from the bottom down only saw this post

and I knew you were talking about Jim O Neil 😂 

Archived