Bears to hire Chuck pagano as defensive coordinator

49erurtaza

The Colts had pretty shoddy talent under Grigson, the cast of players on those defenses are not even close to what the Bears have.

Vic, Belichick, etc wouldn't have had those Colts defenses as perennial top 10 defenses IMO. Freeney was a shell of what he was in his prime by then, they had a few players that stood out but it was a very underwhelming roster to work with.

Being "as good" isn't really the expectation. But they aren't dropping out in any way with him, the should (barring massive injury woes) be a top 5 defense next year. Plus Vic had some massive failings this season as well, so most of us expect there to be goof ups and such.

3 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

It was 8 years since you last won the division

Yeah...and the Vikings are on that list the same number of times as the Bears. 

But, whatever. You're right. The Bears success this year was a total fluke. Do you need a little song to go with your bedtime story? 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

So donatel likely gone then?

Don't hate the hire. He's got big shoes to fill

He is not under contract, so Chicago cannot block his move elsewhere. I'd love to give him a pay raise to come back though.

My best guess is Vic drops Joe Woods from DC and has Donatell become his own DC. Even if Vic decides to call the defense Donatell would be able to help install it better than anyone else available.

Just now, Heinz D. said:

Yeah...and the Vikings are on that list the same number of times as the Bears. 

But, whatever. You're right. The Bears success this year was a total fluke. Do you need a little song to go with your bedtime story? 

So sensitive!

7 minutes ago, TENINCH said:

So sensitive!

As a dude from a fanbase that isn't a rival of yours and couldn't care less about the state of the NFC North, I don't even understand the point you're trying to make. Seems like you tried to troll a Bears fan for lack of success in recent years only to accidentally troll yourself because the Vikings are in the same boat... bridesmaids of the Packers but never the brides. Do you really want to see Packer domination over your division for another 8 years? Why even bring up the last 8 years as if it has some predicative quality of what the future will bring?

40 minutes ago, SwoleXmad said:

Pagano hasn't been a good defensive coach in years, his one good year in Baltimore doesn't mean he's a great DC. (the colts best defense under him finished 9th in points allowed, the 2nd best being 19th)

Pagano is overrated and I don't see the bears being as good under him as Fangio.

Bears' defensive DVOA rankings under Fangio: 31, 23, 14, 1

4 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

As a dude from a fanbase that isn't a rival of yours and couldn't care less about the state of the NFC North, I don't even understand the point you're trying to make. Seems like you tried to troll a Bears fan for lack of success in recent years only to accidentally troll yourself because the Vikings are in the same boat... bridesmaids of the Packers but never the brides. Do you really want to see Packer domination over your division for another 8 years? Why even bring up the last 8 years as if it has some predicative quality of what the future will bring?

Uh huh. Yeah? Ok cool.

17 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

Bears' defensive DVOA rankings under Fangio: 31, 23, 14, 1

That kind of goes with my point, even the best have to have talent to perform. Getting to 14 in his third year was a hell of a job, even if the defense was by definition "average." The amount of changeover and cesspool it started at before he walked in. Ugh. lol

This hire makes the most sense for the Bears. While I was expecting some level of drop-off with the loss of a great DC and historically-great defensive play from the year before being hard to replicate, Pagano was easily their best choice to replace Fangio both in terms of talent and scheme.

Gotta hand it to the Ravens' FO, they have some great defensive minds in their pipeline.

I'm excited about the move but not ecstatic about it. If that makes sense.

I'm never opposed to inexperienced HC's bringing in veterans as coordinators as it helps to balance things out -- McVay/Wade. This is especially important for Nagy who doesn't appear to be one of those coaches who feels like he has to be in control of everything all of the time and in every facet of the game. Instead he trusts his own judgment in those he hires to do their jobs which frees him up to concentrate on his biggest strength and one of the main reasons that Pace brought him to do -- develop Mitch and control the offense.

Nagy trusted that a veteran like Fangio could get the job done on his side of ball with stepping in too much and gave him free reigns to do so which worked out well for both sides. So I suspect Nagy will do the same with Pagano. Maybe even more-so given Pagano extensive history as a man who has recently spent 6 years in the very same role that Nagy now controls -- one of those "been there, done that" type of deals.

So I like the experience that he brings (a big part of the reason Nagy kept Fangio) and I think he is a good fit in general as he seems to be a personable guy. My only concern is that he is 9-10 years removed from taking over defensive play-calling duties and the game has changed dramatically since then. We'll see.

But that could also just be me over-analyzing things simply because I have become accustomed to, or spoiled, with Fangio and I have yet to come to grips with the fact that there was nobody on the market that I feel were ever going to be as good as he was/is. Plus, I'm a Bears fan and so it's in our nature to hate everything the FO does lol. 

Actually writing this made me think about it more and I feel like I probably like the move more than I had initially thought.

6 hours ago, Forge said:

So donatel likely gone then?

Don't hate the hire. He's got big shoes to fill

He was the one I would have liked to see the get the job, after Bowles of course.

I keep seeing this floating around in the rumor mill but I'm hoping this turns out to be another situation like Fangio where everyone thought he was all but gone these last 2 years and ended up staying. 

Hopefully Pagano and Nagy can convince him to stay on board. If not, I would feel pretty good about Roy Anderson as his replacement - which would likely be the case.

14 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

It doesn't matter how talented your defense is if your coaching makes the simplest of mistakes, I'm not saying Pagano won't be solid but everyone saying this is a slam dunk clearly are ignoring his colts tenure. Sure the colts defenses were never particularly talented but were they ever well coached? I think the stats speak for themselves there.

Being a head coach and a coordinator are two entirely separate tasks.  There's much more on a head coaches plate than just worrying about what plays will be called on either side of the ball that they specialize in. 

Also why does Pagano get such a bad rap from Colts fans after winning 3 out of 6 playoff games in his first 3 years as head coach? Not to mention losing to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game after the whole deflategate scandal?

Archived