Bears to hire Chuck pagano as defensive coordinator

49erurtaza

Pagano's defenses were never that bad in Indy given their talent level.

2012-31st in DVOA

2013-16th in DVOA

2014-13th in DVOA

2015-13th in DVOA

2016-29th in DVOA

2017-27th in DVOA

None of these teams had anywhere near the blue-chip talent the Bears have. This will likely be the best team talent wise he has had on defense since the 2011 Ravens, who finished 1st in DVOA and produced a DPOY in Suggs. I doubt they will be as good as Fangio's defense (that wasn't going to happen regardless of who they hired), but they should still remain a top 3-5 unit next year. 

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

Being a head coach and a coordinator are two entirely separate tasks.  There's much more on a head coaches plate than just worrying about what plays will be called on either side of the ball that they specialize in. 

Also why does Pagano get such a bad rap from Colts fans after winning 3 out of 6 playoff games in his first 3 years as head coach? Not to mention losing to the Patriots in the AFC Championship game after the whole deflategate scandal?

Thanks for saying the obvious.

Not a colts fan, the colts have often been terrible under pagano and part of that's talent but that's also coaching, the colts got whalloped in that game so hard the deflategate wouldn't have mattered.

Ravens had really good talent on defense from 2006-2012 and I felt Pagano was the DC who got the most out of that talent. Also, the players loved playing for him and for all the difficulties they had in Indy, it never seemed to me that the players didn't back him. Colts fans might be able to tell me otherwise. I think it is a good hire.

20 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Thanks for saying the obvious.

Not a colts fan, the colts have often been terrible under pagano and part of that's talent but that's also coaching, the colts got whalloped in that game so hard the deflategate wouldn't have mattered.

I think it's interesting seeing the coaches who specialize in a certain area get a HC job and that side of the ball/area of the team is subpar(or at least worse than what the HC produced as a coordinator or position coach). I know once we promoted Munchak from OL coach to HC back in 2011, our o-line went from being a strength of the team for the previous 14 years he'd been the OL coach to mediocre and just seemingly got worse each year. Munchak I feel is the undisputed GOAT at coaching offensive line, and as HC, he just had so much on his plate that he couldn't coach it at the same level he used to.

Chargers coordinators are good examples of solid to great coordinators that are just garbage head coaches. Ken Whisenhunt's offensive gameplanning here was putrid at best, but as OC he's been one of the better ones in the NFL in Pittsburgh/SD/LAC.

No idea how well Pagano will do in Chicago as DC, but I think judging anyone's coordinating ability off of their results as HC is probably not the most accurate way of going about things.

Archived