Chuck Pagano Hired as DC

Madmike90

"Chuck is unorthodox," Suggs said. "He's like the Joker. You never really expect what he's going to do, and everything has a motive."

The Ravens considered Pagano to be just one of the guys.

"What makes him good? He relates to the players a whole lot," defensive end Cory Redding said. "He's almost like a player in a D-coordinator's position. The guy has so much fun with us. He treats you like more than a player. It's like we're his sons. He wants us to do well. He keeps it fresh. He knows everybody's strengths and puts them in position to make plays."

Pagano's style is more aggressive, something he's never tried to hide. In the press conference that introduced him as defensive coordinator, Pagano said, "My philosophy is: let's go out and wreak havoc."

As someone who has watched the Colts almost every week for a few years, I'm very happy with this.  I'm concerned that he may be a future hc option, because he was a good coach who was stuck with a **** gm, similar to Lovie with Jerry angelo back in the day, but that's a problem for later.   Gotta think Donatell jumps ship to Denver now.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

RT @wiltfongjr: Will there be a drop off in production from the 2018 #Bears defense to the 2019 version? It's possible, but it's not a given. 

A Thread ⬇️

In 2010 the Ravens defense was ranked 6th in DVOA, and in 2011 Chuck Pagano took over as defensive coordinator and it improved to 1st.

Another misuse of DVOA.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

"Chuck is unorthodox," Suggs said. "He's like the Joker. You never really expect what he's going to do, and everything has a motive."

The Ravens considered Pagano to be just one of the guys.

"What makes him good? He relates to the players a whole lot," defensive end Cory Redding said. "He's almost like a player in a D-coordinator's position. The guy has so much fun with us. He treats you like more than a player. It's like we're his sons. He wants us to do well. He keeps it fresh. He knows everybody's strengths and puts them in position to make plays."

How much does this sound like Nagy's style? I think Pagano's personality should fit in really well with this team, very understandable why they would to bring him in, fits the mould. That, and he was very good in Baltimore which doesn't hurt.

Important as well to have someone experienced on the other side of the ball, Nagy will still only be in his second year as a HC, he's got someone who has been in the league for years and has six years experience as a HC himself.

A lot to like about this hire. I wanted it to be Donatell but the more I think about this the more I like it. Donatell's contract is up so guessing he goes to Denver to be their DC now.

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What does this even mean?

It means zimmer hires an offensive coordinator to literally handle the entire offense.. he has no interest in getting involved with it at all. Even though we have a defensive coordinator (George Edwards) the guy is basically a puppet cuz zimmer runs that whole show. Nagy reminds me of zimmer in that sense

I think one thing we need from Pagano is for him to find and help develop the next man up...Donatell seems attached to Fangio's hip...we need someone who won't just follow him out the door...on offence for example if Helfrich were to go I have no doubt Ragone would step up to be OC...we need that on the defensive side as well.

3 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

How much does this sound like Nagy's style? I think Pagano's personality should fit in really well with this team, very understandable why they would to bring him in, fits the mould. That, and he was very good in Baltimore which doesn't hurt.

Important as well to have someone experienced on the other side of the ball, Nagy will still only be in his second year as a HC, he's got someone who has been in the league for years and has six years experience as a HC himself.

A lot to like about this hire. I wanted it to be Donatell but the more I think about this the more I like it. Donatell's contract is up so guessing he goes to Denver to be their DC now.

I watched a bunch of his "mic'd" up segments on YouTube the other day, he seems like a genuinely good dude and when he was fired everyone kept talking about what a good person he was and how respectful he was as a human being. That's great, but my selfishness wants to make sure he's a top-tier COACH before I care about how "nice" he is.

Can he be both? Sure, and that's my hope.

12 minutes ago, G08 said:

I watched a bunch of his "mic'd" up segments on YouTube the other day, he seems like a genuinely good dude and when he was fired everyone kept talking about what a good person he was and how respectful he was as a human being. That's great, but my selfishness wants to make sure he's a top-tier COACH before I care about how "nice" he is.

Can he be both? Sure, and that's my hope.

Oh yeah absolutely. I mean look at Fangio and Nagy's styles, very different but meshed well. Think this is just another example of the type of person Nagy and Pace want inside Halas Hall.

Archived