Chuck Pagano Hired as DC

Madmike90

I like this hire a lot. Chucks speciality is pass defense which is awesome. We have a well established DC with some HC experience. 

My only work is his aggressive nature can back fire on us as we ask “why are you blitzing when it’s not working.”

the other concern is how are Prince and Fuller going to be effective playing press coverage?

59 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

I like this hire a lot. Chucks speciality is pass defense which is awesome. We have a well established DC with some HC experience. 

My only work is his aggressive nature can back fire on us as we ask “why are you blitzing when it’s not working.”

the other concern is how are Prince and Fuller going to be effective playing press coverage?

I don't think it'll be much of a concern at all because Pagano still likes to use a lot of zone concepts on the back end.  I expect a lot more CB blitzes though under Pagano than what we saw under Fangio.  Should be fun to watch.

This is part of the hiring process that I don't agree with. This is even worse than going to an interview and an employer says "we'll call you" when they have no intentions at all on hiring you in the first place.

Glad he has the same control as Fangio did though. I alluded to this same point earlier in news forum.

I'm excited about the move but not ecstatic about it. If that makes sense.

I'm never opposed to inexperienced HC's bringing in veterans as coordinators as it helps to balance things out -- McVay/Wade. This is especially important for Nagy who doesn't appear to be one of those coaches who feels like he has to be in control of everything all of the time and in every facet of the game. Instead he trusts his own judgment in those he hires to do their jobs which frees him up to concentrate on his biggest strength and one of the main reasons that Pace brought him to do -- develop Mitch and control the offense.

Nagy trusted that a veteran like Fangio could get the job done on his side of ball without stepping in too much and gave him free reigns to do so which worked out well for both sides. So I suspect Nagy will do the same with Pagano. Maybe even more-so given Pagano extensive history as a man who has recently spent 6 years in the very same role that Nagy now controls -- one of those "been there, done that" type of deals.

So I like the experience that he brings (a big part of the reason Nagy kept Fangio) and I think he is a good fit in general as he seems to be a personable guy. My only concern is that he is 9-10 years removed from taking over defensive play-calling duties and the game has changed dramatically since then. We'll see.

But that could also just be me over-analyzing things simply because I have become accustomed to, or spoiled, with Fangio and I have yet to come to grips with the fact that there was nobody on the market that I feel were ever going to be as good as he was/is. Plus, I'm a Bears fan and so it's in our nature to hate everything the FO does lol. 

Actually writing this made me think about it more and I feel like I probably like the move more than I had initially thought.

1 hour ago, Nads786 said:

Prince already does a ton of press, so I doubt his play really alters unless he regresses.

I hope he realizes blitzes aren't working when they don't. Fangio relied on his front 4 with a blitzer peppered in occasionally. For the majority of the season it worked wonderfully (obviously. lol). But damn it was maddening when we were playing in the 2nd half of the GB game, vs MIA all game, vs NE for long stretches, etc and he refused to dial it up. I understand having faith in your players but a coordinator's job is to gameplan, put the players in the best position to succeed, and adjust to keep putting them in the optimal position as the game goes on. Fangio didn't adjust to dial up pressure or tighten coverage in some situations (having Fuller 8 yards off in a 3rd and 1? Come on.)

Pagano has access to all the film to see what the players did the last few years, he seems to be a player's coach, so he will hopefully ask them what they felt worked well, poorly, or best seems to suit them, and as TC and such goes on finds his flow with the team. Nagy needs to get better too, so Chuck gets to own the entire defense as Nagy focuses "all" (as much as a HC can anyway) his attention on the offense and Trubisky's development.

This is why Pagano was the best option once Fangio left

1. He is not Gregg Williams, Rex Ryan, or any former Bears that were suggested.
2. He has done well as a DC, when he has reasonable personnel.
3. He is an accomplished DB coach and has a long resume of really good players that he has worked with.
4. He has a similar "quiet old school" style similar to Fangio
5. He has experience as HC in big game [6 playoff games, 1 AFC Championship Game] and that is the next hurdle for Nagy.

Just watched a breakdown of what Pagano did with Baltimore's D in his year as DC...the blitz package is much more complicated that it ever was under Fangio...one guy who is utterly ecstatic about this hire? Leonard Floyd...the stunts and twists and awesome and with his speed he should be good for a big big season. 

4 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Just watched a breakdown of what Pagano did with Baltimore's D in his year as DC...the blitz package is much more complicated that it ever was under Fangio...one guy who is utterly ecstatic about this hire? Leonard Floyd...the stunts and twists and awesome and with his speed he should be good for a big big season. 

What do you mean? 

Roquan B gap, Callahan off the edge weren’t exotic enough for you?

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Floyd and Roquan are juke rushers.  Not power or skill with hands rushers.  You have to get them in space during a line assignment switch and simply out quick or out speed the o line as they try to reset and engage.

And they are exceptional at it.  Not sure why Fangio didn't take more advantage of that skillset.  He started to later in season. 

18 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Link?

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Floyd and Roquan are juke rushers.  Not power or skill with hands rushers.  You have to get them in space during a line assignment switch and simply out quick or out speed the o line as they try to reset and engage.

And they are exceptional at it.  Not sure why Fangio didn't take more advantage of that skillset.  He started to later in season. 

Good point. Remember how so many of us were excite about using stunts and twists for Floyd and Bullard? I was ecstaric, rwo major athletes wh were raw had a crutch to lean on as they developed, ar lest i thought that. Both dynamic burst players for their positions, but outside of that first preseason it never seemed to happen. 

We all want a pair of Macks to create havoc with a ridiculous list of ways to do it, but sometimes you need to accept a player's limitations and utilize their strongest skill set or athletic attributes. 

1 hour ago, bkokot said:

They may not have been exotic, but both were reasonably effective.

They absolutely were, but the issue to me was when an offense adjusted for them, Fangio didn't throw in many wrinkles to try and counter. 

Like I said before, I love that he trusts his players, but sometimes you need to work to put the players in a better situation to win their matchup. There were numerous times he seemed far too complacent when his 4 man or NB rush got zero pressure. 

Archived