Chuck Pagano Hired as DC

Madmike90

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Someone on radio, Dan Durkin, or something that sounds like that name, slammed Pagano.  Said he ran a h.s. defense.

I think when any media dude reaches to the "high school" criticism when referring to someone in the pros--their opinion should automatically be ignored. What an asinine phrase. 

5 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Someone on radio, Dan Durkin, or something that sounds like that name, slammed Pagano.  Said he ran a h.s. defense.

Aaaah the wonder that is sport talk radio and the biggest secret of all...Durkin doesn't think for a second that Pagano runs a H.S defence...but if everyone on the radio, tv & newspapers thinks it's a slam dunk hire than there is very little to talk about and that leads to low audiences...happens all the time over here with football (soccer) everyone can see it's a great transfer or whatever but someone will need to come out and call it a risk or say they spent to much to fill the column inches or air waves. 

12 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Aaaah the wonder that is sport talk radio and the biggest secret of all...Durkin doesn't think for a second that Pagano runs a H.S defence...but if everyone on the radio, tv & newspapers thinks it's a slam dunk hire than there is very little to talk about and that leads to low audiences...happens all the time over here with football (soccer) everyone can see it's a great transfer or whatever but someone will need to come out and call it a risk or say they spent to much to fill the column inches or air waves. 

While I agree that the media does this a lot I'd expect better from Durkin.  Usually he is pretty objective when it comes to Bears stuff but I don't understand his take on this.

Mind you last offseason, Durkin also implied that Pace was a bad GM and didn't deserve our trust.

5 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Looks like ILB coach Glenn Pires will be leaving the staff as well...Pagano clearly has full say over who stays and goes...if we replace these guys with Reed, Ryan & Monachino we should be in a good spot.

Really curious to see who Pagano hires as his assistants.  If Ed Reed comes to the Bears to coach DBs that would be fantastic, but he's a little inexperienced as a coach, so maybe as an assistant only?

Either way I'm sure Bears D will be fine.  Sometimes you need fresh faces otherwise guys can become complacent with the same position coaches.  I don't think it's a bad thing.  Writing was on the wall anyway that Fangio would be taking some of these guys when he took the Denver job.

On 1/14/2019 at 2:38 PM, dll2000 said:

Do you have a link to this? Or recall what radio station he was on at the time?

Just now, beardown3231 said:

I'm genuinely shocked anyone cares about Durkin. I'm not sure who gave him a pen, keyboard or a microphone a few years ago but his momentum seemingly can't be stopped. The guy is no more intelligent or plugged in then any of us are.

I've known him for a little while... very bright X's and O's guy but he's also full of himself and quite smug. Got RIPPED APART on twitter for the screenshot "wide open in the endzone" debacle earlier in the season.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Do you have a link to this? Or recall what radio station he was on at the time?

1000 or 670 I am sure.   He wasn't host I know that.  Probably 670.  I don't usually listen to them so I know none of the hosts.  But they are on dial when I am flipping through.  Possibility it was one of newspaper sponsored Bears podcasts, but I don't think so.    

I just caught like a minute of it.  Just was in car and turned it on and some guy was saying it, saying players said it about him.  Said he was disappointed in the hire.  Then host said he was bummed by that news because he was excited by the hire.  Pretty sure they said guest was Dan Durkin.  I just caught end of it.

18 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

1000 or 670 I am sure.   He wasn't host I know that.  Probably 670.  I don't usually listen to them so I know none of the hosts.  But they are on dial when I am flipping through.  Possibility it was one of newspaper sponsored Bears podcasts, but I don't think so.    

I just caught like a minute of it.  Just was in car and turned it on and some guy was saying it, saying players said it about him.  Said he was disappointed in the hire.  Then host said he was bummed by that news because he was excited by the hire.  Pretty sure they said guest was Dan Durkin.  I just caught end of it.

Found it... Dan Dakich (Dan Dakich is an American basketball sportscaster and radio host. He is a former player, assistant coach, interim head coach for the Indiana University Hoosiers and former head coach at Bowling Green State University. Wikipedia)

2 minutes ago, G08 said:

Found it... Dan Dakich (Dan Dakich is an American basketball sportscaster and radio host. He is a former player, assistant coach, interim head coach for the Indiana University Hoosiers and former head coach at Bowling Green State University. Wikipedia)

There you go.  That is probably the guy.  

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

There you go.  That is probably the guy.  

He sounds like more of an Indiana fan boy than anything else. Says his "friends that coached in the NFL" called Pagano's defense a high school scheme and then said something about the team had no discipline or accountability under Pagano. He "coddled" the players too much.

Meh.

I think a lot of people from Indy have bad memories after Pagano's head coaching tenure, but he started strong and failed mostly because the Colts' ownership and GM saddled him with a totally underwhelming roster. Most NFL guys out there rave about his relationship with players and his ability to motivate.

13 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

I think a lot of people from Indy have bad memories after Pagano's head coaching tenure, but he started strong and failed mostly because the Colts' ownership and GM saddled him with a totally underwhelming roster. Most NFL guys out there rave about his relationship with players and his ability to motivate.

When HOF caliber defenders like Lewis, Suggs and Reed rave about you as a coach and DC then you know that's about as ringing of an endorsement you can have.  Who the heck is Dan Dakich?

Archived