Chad Henne to start vs Panthers

pwny

Just now, iPwn said:

Legitimately what I was hoping for? Dave being fired like literally every other GM who has ever screwed up on a top 15 QB selection. A new GM brought in. More than just chair shuffling in the coaching staff. A legitimate play made for a QB (whether that be Kap, Cutler, Smith, or whoever, just clear effort to address the position).

Henne isn’t starting because Blake was bad and they need to protect for the 5th year option. Henne is starting because this team decided yet again to be complacent with a dumpster fire at the most important position in football, hoping it wouldn’t be a dumpster fire, and it predictably backfired.

I think most everyone wanted Dave to be fired, but that didn't happen.

Regardless, Bortles being the starter would make this more ridiculous. The guy is clearly not our future at QB and playing him just risks us having to have him longer/big money. No one is rejoicing because we have Henne at QB now, most are happy because we know the era of a QB that clearly isn't the future is very much over with and we can move on. Not to mention I like Henne's chances of being a game manager that limits the turnovers more than Blake. Plus I'm not worried about Henne's long throwing motion causing multiple pick six's a season/short arming throws due to lack of confidence. Henne at best leads us to 6-10/7-9 imo, but I feel at this point Blake at best would have lead us to another top 3-5 pick. I'll take the chance at the few extra wins with what we've been through.

As I've said prior, I'm done hoping for losses just to pick higher. If this team actually shows growth in areas/can win some games and look competent, I'll feel much better about the direction/what the future holds than if we have another 3-13 season of awfulness/lack of development in several areas. 

Sitting Bortles is 100% the right move at this point. As for bringing in another QB, if Henne does poorly with the rumors that we have been looking into Kaep than you just may get your wish. Cutler I don't think was coming out of the booth to start for us with our history. Those are the only two vet QB's I thought had much of a chance to do anything here.

Based on Mike Silvers series of tweets the other day regarding the QB situation here and Kaepernick, Caldwell is basically just a scout that is listed as a GM. The guy made it sound like literally every decision about football in this organization is made by none other than Coughlin. I would rather have seen Caldwell ditched just due to where we are and him having a hand in it, but he doesn't sound like he has much control at this point on this team. 

If you want to be upset with someone, I think you need to be ticked at Coughlin. If he wanted Dave gone you think Shad wouldn't have listened to him? If you think Tom thought a QB in the draft was a solid option he wouldn't be on this roster?

Ultimately this draft didn't likely have a franchise guy unless Trubisky/Watson work out (neither would have been good value where we were). We weren't getting a QB outside of a stopgap like Kaep/Cutler this offseson. 

Unless Bowanko shows out and becomes a decent LG I am and always will be pissed that we didn't put more urgency into that spot though without a doubt. We draft a RB top 5, we have an iffy QB situation, and our run blocking besides the final 6 games was atrocious and all we do is replace our LT with a rookie? That is insane. Than to go into the draft and still not get an option at LG and run with what we had last year is pathetic.

I’m just tired of this team trying to sell garbage odds of a payoff as the only option worth doing. This team hasn’t had a backup plan for anything in forever. Cam is the only one and it only happened because the first option was holding out. This team keeps trying to sell fans on “if everything goes right and nothing goes wrong - because we didn’t plan for anything to go wrong - then maybe we’ll finally turn the corner”.

And I’m just tired. I’m tired of spending three hours every Sunday loathing the one sport that used to bring me more joy than anything. I’m tired of looking at the off-season roster, seeing potential issues that the team ignores, and then watching them blow up spectacularly. Who could have ever guessed that a QB that looked bad for the majority of last season would be bad again? Apparently not the Jaguars. Who could have guessed that one of the worst graded OLs in the NFL would need more than one position addressed to be better? Apparently not the Jaguars. Who would have guessed that the least accurate Kicker in the NFL would continue to be inaccurate? Apparently not the Jaguars.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

If you want to be upset with someone, I think you need to be ticked at Coughlin.

I’m upset with everyone in the organization. Not a single person appears to have any sembolence of an idea of how to run a team. It’s a top to bottom disaster of people throwing crap against a wall and hoping it sticks. Tom got them to stick to a single idea, but they didn’t put nearly enough effort into making it work.

The only exception to this might be Tony, and I’m not even sure on that.

Just now, iPwn said:

I’m upset with everyone in the organization. Not a single person appears to have any sembolence of an idea of how to run a team. It’s a top to bottom disaster of people throwing crap against a wall and hoping it sticks. Tom got them to stick to a single idea, but they didn’t put nearly enough effort into making it work.

The only exception to this might be Tony, and I’m not even sure on that.

Again though, we wanted Caldwell fired, new QB (with scarce options), new OG (deserved to be pissed at this about them), and what else?

IDK, I'd rather see Caldwell gone but if he doesn't have any real pull on things here than it's whatever imo. I want Kaep to come in here but the other options likely doesn't change our outlook. 

I'm annoyed at the position we're in but that's due to QB spot and that wasn't getting fixed this year. I want more competition but again, I don't think a diff terrible QB is changing much.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I want more competition but again, I don't think a diff terrible QB is changing much.

Even if it didn’t, I want to see this team actually put in the effort. If the backup plan doesn’t work, at least there was a concerned effort to try to do something differently. We can’t just keep hoping the first option works and then hand waving when it doesn’t. If they keep doing that, they’ll find themselves picking top ten every year for another decade. 

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

The hidden LOL in this gif is Clay Harbor celebrating after scoring a garbage time TD with under 3 minutes while being down by more than 2 scores btw...

Well technically we would be down another TD/2 pt conversion so not total garbage but we didnt get the first 2 pt conversion

17 hours ago, iPwn said:

I’m just tired of this team trying to sell garbage odds of a payoff as the only option worth doing. This team hasn’t had a backup plan for anything in forever. Cam is the only one and it only happened because the first option was holding out. This team keeps trying to sell fans on “if everything goes right and nothing goes wrong - because we didn’t plan for anything to go wrong - then maybe we’ll finally turn the corner”.

And I’m just tired. I’m tired of spending three hours every Sunday loathing the one sport that used to bring me more joy than anything. I’m tired of looking at the off-season roster, seeing potential issues that the team ignores, and then watching them blow up spectacularly. Who could have ever guessed that a QB that looked bad for the majority of last season would be bad again? Apparently not the Jaguars. Who could have guessed that one of the worst graded OLs in the NFL would need more than one position addressed to be better? Apparently not the Jaguars. Who would have guessed that the least accurate Kicker in the NFL would continue to be inaccurate? Apparently not the Jaguars.

Couldnt have said it better myself. Lack of competition at important spots. We keep talking depth and there just isnt any outside of WR

The good news is that if we split the snaps and starts just right with this farce of a "competition", we should be able to perfectly divide the locker room.  Which is extremely good for team morale and cohesion heading into the season.

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

The good news is that if we split the snaps and starts just right with this farce of a "competition", we should be able to perfectly divide the locker room.  Which is extremely good for team morale and cohesion heading into the season.

Divide the locker room? Not sure where that even comes from. This is a competition just like all those other guys have to go through. If you aren't doing your job well you get replaced, period.

Plus, Benjamin Allbright said a week ago the WR room was pretty much over Blake and want to see what Henne can do. I think everyone is pretty much ready to move on, our star CB keeps liking posts of us needing a new QB beside Bortles at QB for christ sake.

21 hours ago, iPwn said:

Legitimately what I was hoping for? Dave being fired like literally every other GM who has ever screwed up on a top 15 QB selection. A new GM brought in. More than just chair shuffling in the coaching staff. A legitimate play made for a QB (whether that be Kap, Cutler, Smith, or whoever, just clear effort to address the position).

Henne isn’t starting because Blake was bad and they need to protect for the 5th year option. Henne is starting because this team decided yet again to be complacent with a dumpster fire at the most important position in football, hoping it wouldn’t be a dumpster fire, and it predictably backfired.

I don't even necessarily have a problem with them just deciding that this is a final show or go year for Bortles, instead of bringing in someone else.  If that's the plan and you're committed to it, so be it.  Sink or swim with Bortles.  Either he miraculously turns it around and we're golden...or he doesn't and we're picking high and can hopefully not screw this one up.

But if that was the plan, you have to stick to that.  Stand by your awful Bortleman duck thrower.  See it through.

It's this reactionary garbage that tips their hand that this wasn't how this was supposed to go in their minds.  They're now flailing frantically trying to bury their heads in the sand and pretend Chad Henne is going to work.  They've practically given up on the "final chance" for Bortles before the season has even started.  Now, if their commitment to Bortles was that precarious in the first place...why on god's green earth would they not bring in an actual Backup Plan?

Archived