Chad Henne to start vs Panthers

pwny

3 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

I don't even necessarily have a problem with them just deciding that this is a final show or go year for Bortles, instead of bringing in someone else.  If that's the plan and you're committed to it, so be it.  Sink or swim with Bortles.  Either he miraculously turns it around and we're golden...or he doesn't and we're picking high and can hopefully not screw this one up.

But if that was the plan, you have to stick to that.  Stand by your awful Bortleman duck thrower.  See it through.

It's this reactionary garbage that tips their hand that this wasn't how this was supposed to go in their minds.  They're now flailing frantically trying to bury their heads in the sand and pretend Chad Henne is going to work.  They've practically given up on the "final chance" for Bortles before the season has even started.  Now, if their commitment to Bortles was that precarious in the first place...why on god's green earth would they not bring in an actual Backup Plan?

What backup plan? The best backup plan we could have gotten was a guy who is still on the market in Kaepernick.

Jay Cutler I don't think was leaving the booth to play for a team that picked in the top 5 last year. Romo is done and wasn't an option. What other vet puts us in any better spot? Did you want us to overdraft Mahomes (although I liked him and he's looked awesome, he wasnt going top 5) or Watson (I would have been on board since I wanted a new QB, but that would have been dumb value wise too)? Beatherd and Kizer were the other guys drafted in mid rounds.

There really wasn't a good option to go to this past year. Don't blame them for wanting to go with Bortles this year and see what he could do. When you have no confidence and are underthrowing wide open guys/still have terrible mechanics, there's no reason to keep trotting him out there imo. When you add in the fact that if he has a serious injury his 5th yr option at $19M is picked up, makes it even more ludicrous.

If he had played ok/showed some good things, that's one thing, but if he provides very little hope and the sloppy footwork/long throwing motion is still there what positive does he bring? I'd rather just try and show improvement in other areas and hope Henne can take what a defense gives him and manage the game (something Blake will never be able to do). Sucks we're in this spot at QB but I really am not sure I see what we could have done different at the position besides signing Kaep (which I am all for doing), and he is still waiting to be signed. No one else was drastically changing our outlook this season besides a Bortles that turned his game around and back into what he did in 2015.

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Divide the locker room? Not sure where that even comes from. This is a competition just like all those other guys have to go through. If you aren't doing your job well you get replaced, period.

Plus, Benjamin Allbright said a week ago the WR room was pretty much over Blake and want to see what Henne can do. I think everyone is pretty much ready to move on, our star CB keeps liking posts of us needing a new QB beside Bortles at QB for christ sake.

You really think the team in its entirety is just going to rally unanimously together around the beacon of hope that is Chad Henne?

hennelol2_medium.gif

2 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

What backup plan? The best backup plan we could have gotten was a guy who is still on the market in Kaepernick.

Jay Cutler I don't think was leaving the booth to play for a team that picked in the top 5 last year. Romo is done and wasn't an option. What other vet puts us in any better spot?

The thing is, this is a question the team should have been adressinf before now. Cutler didn’t sign to go commentate until after no team came calling. He would have come here. We could have tried for Alex Smith once Mahomes appeared to be pushing for the job. They could have traded for Tyrod. They could have traded for Osweiller. They could have done anything but sit on their hands and hoped their first option worked. This team never plans ahead.

Legit question - when was the last time this team ever had a backup plan in place for anything? This team is never ahead of the curve. It’s always reactionary with them. “Oh no, everything has gone to crap that we thought might go to crap. I guess now is when we should address it.” They never look at a situation and think “that guy might not work out, let’s bring in someone to push him.” It is always “that guy might not work out. But he might, so it’s cool to ignore it until it clearly isn’t working.”

Just now, .Buzz said:

bortles.0.gif

Yes, yes I do...

Henne has thrown more picks than TDs in his career, and only once (when he was benched after two and a half games) has he finished a season with more TDs than picks. They aren’t rallying behind that.

Just now, iPwn said:

The thing is, this is a question the team should have been adressinf before now. Cutler didn’t sign to go commentate until after no team came calling. He would have come here. We could have tried for Alex Smith once Mahomes appeared to be pushing for the job. They could have traded for Tyrod. They could have traded for Osweiller. They could have done anything but sit on their hands and hoped their first option worked. This team never plans ahead.

Legit question - when was the last time this team ever had a backup plan in place for anything? This team is never ahead of the curve. It’s always reactionary with them. “Oh no, everything has gone to crap that we thought might go to crap. I guess now is when we should address it.” They never look at a situation and think “that guy might not work out, let’s bring in someone to push him.” It is always “that guy might not work out. But he might, so it’s cool to ignore it until it clearly isn’t working.”

I wish we could have brought someone else in too, but that doesn't change the fact that only Tyrod, Alex Smith, and potentially Hundley could change our outlook this year if we're being honest with our-self (notice all these guys are currently on NFL rosters and were never FA's and need to be traded for, who knows what they are asking).

2 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Henne has thrown more picks than TDs in his career, and only once (when he was benched after two and a half games) has he finished a season with more TDs than picks. They aren’t rallying behind that.

Never said they were rallying at any point, was more so just saying that I would much rather see Henne back there than the pick six machine with zero confidence that can't hit wide open guys right now in Blake Bortles.

Does that mean Henne is the answer to our troubles? Hell no. Does it mean that he likely will do less bad things than our other bad QB? Yes. So count me in for that.

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

Actually another question with this. When was the last time you looked at our roster and could legitimately say that if the top player at any position went down for just 2 games, that it wouldn’t be an unmitigated disaster until the starter returned?

15 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Jay Cutler I don't think was leaving the booth to play for a team that picked in the top 5 last year. Romo is done and wasn't an option. What other vet puts us in any better spot? Did you want us to overdraft Mahomes (although I liked him and he's looked awesome, he wasnt going top 5) or Watson (I would have been on board since I wanted a new QB, but that would have been dumb value wise too)? Beatherd and Kizer were the other guys drafted in mid rounds.

There really wasn't a good option to go to this past year. Don't blame them for wanting to go with Bortles this year and see what he could do. When you have no confidence and are underthrowing wide open guys/still have terrible mechanics, there's no reason to keep trotting him out there imo. When you add in the fact that if he has a serious injury his 5th yr option at $19M is picked up, makes it even more ludicrous.

If he had played ok/showed some good things, that's one thing, but if he provides very little hope and the sloppy footwork/long throwing motion is still there what positive does he bring? I'd rather just try and show improvement in other areas and hope Henne can take what a defense gives him and manage the game (something Blake will never be able to do). Sucks we're in this spot at QB but I really am not sure I see what we could have done different at the position besides signing Kaep (which I am all for doing), and he is still waiting to be signed. No one else was drastically changing our outlook this season besides a Bortles that turned his game around and back into what he did in 2015.

That's what i'm saying though.  If that's was the plan, to just give Blake the rope to hang himself...i could get on board with that.  And i was on board with that.  But that's not what they're doing with this goofy "QB competition" before the season has even kicked off.  

Blake has looked terrible so far, no doubt about it.  But they could not have jumped to this QB competition shenanigans any quicker if they tried.  Which ultimately signals how shockingly little faith they have/had in Bortles to begin with.  At which point, if that's where they were at...they should have been doing absolutely anything and everything conceivable to find a legitimate starting option to go with instead.  Whether that meant sweet talking Cutler, trying to find a trade partner for someone, taking a guy in the draft, doing something.  And just get rid of Bortles and this whole mess - move on.

They just waded in halfway, with no apparent plan here.  It was, "maybe Bortles will be good?" or something along those lines.  With no apparent regard for what happens if he's not good.  Which was always a very strong possibility.  Even just "let Blake tank the season" would be more of a plan than whatever trash this is.  We've already had Henne start for this team, and it's not good at all.  That's throwing a season in the most whimpering pathetic rudderless way possible.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I wish we could have brought someone else in too, but that doesn't change the fact that only Tyrod, Alex Smith, and potentially Hundley could change our outlook this year if we're being honest with our-self (notice all these guys are currently on NFL rosters and were never FA's and need to be traded for, who knows what they are asking).

You’re looking at this through the lens of just this position. When has this team done this with any position?

And even if the other players aren’t sure things to change the outlook, at least freaking try one of them.

3 minutes ago, iPwn said:

You’re looking at this through the lens of just this position. When has this team done this with any position?

And even if the other players aren’t sure things to change the outlook, at least freaking try one of them.

We have a great backup plan at WLB.

And a really nice backup plan for huge money Free Agent Interior/3Tech guys.

:)

1 minute ago, Tugboat said:

We have a great backup plan at WLB.

And a really nice backup plan for huge money Free Agent Interior/3Tech guys.

:)

But then what do they put at SLB/5T? A sack of potatoes?

6 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

That's what i'm saying though.  If that's was the plan, to just give Blake the rope to hang himself...i could get on board with that.  And i was on board with that.  But that's not what they're doing with this goofy "QB competition" before the season has even kicked off.  

Blake has looked terrible so far, no doubt about it.  But they could not have jumped to this QB competition shenanigans any quicker if they tried.  Which ultimately signals how shockingly little faith they have/had in Bortles to begin with.  At which point, if that's where they were at...they should have been doing absolutely anything and everything conceivable to find a legitimate starting option to go with instead.  Whether that meant sweet talking Cutler, trying to find a trade partner for someone, taking a guy in the draft, doing something.  And just get rid of Bortles and this whole mess - move on.

They just waded in halfway, with no apparent plan here.  It was, "maybe Bortles will be good?" or something along those lines.  With no apparent regard for what happens if he's not good.  Which was always a very strong possibility.  Even just "let Blake tank the season" would be more of a plan than whatever trash this is.  We've already had Henne start for this team, and it's not good at all.  That's throwing a season in the most whimpering pathetic rudderless way possible.

The guy has a $19M option. If he looks like dog**** and still is showing the same inconsistencies as last year while being a bottom 2 QB and not allowing this team even the slightest chance to win because of boneheaded mistakes, why take the chance by playing him and risking injury causing him to have a $19M cap hit next year? I never agreed with picking that option up, but now that we have we most definitely have a lot to lose by playing him if he shouldn't be. If he was showing any signs of growth than that's one thing, but he isn't.

Just now, iPwn said:

But then what do they put at SLB/5T? A sack of potatoes?

Meh, I actually like Pullard and we did draft Blair Brown who seems to be able to likely play any of the LB spots if you give him reps/time to grow there. At 5T it's a bit more tricky, not entirely sure.

41 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Divide the locker room? Not sure where that even comes from. This is a competition just like all those other guys have to go through. If you aren't doing your job well you get replaced, period.

Plus, Benjamin Allbright said a week ago the WR room was pretty much over Blake and want to see what Henne can do. I think everyone is pretty much ready to move on, our star CB keeps liking posts of us needing a new QB beside Bortles at QB for christ sake.

lol

Archived