What might the KSO look like?

vike daddy

• 3 months later...

Q: How do you think the play action game is looking so far?

Stefanski: "I would say that it’s definitely a work in progress. At times it’s good, at times it’s bad, and really the best thing you can do is watch our defense. If they believe it and the sell is legit, you’ll get a reaction from linebackers in our front seven. So I’m thinking it’s been okay, certainly a ton of room for improvement. It’s going to be a constant point of emphasis for our entire offense, because when you talk play action, it’s very simple to just say it’s the quarterback and the running back. But it’s the offensive line, it’s the tight end, it’s the wide receivers. It’s everybody working in conjunction so that the pass looks like a run."

https://247sports.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/LongFormArticle/Kevin-Stefanski-press-conference-Vikings-minicamp-132872397/#132872397_9

First half of this film room look at Niners TE George Kittle is an excellent breakdown of the Shanahan system of wide zone runs, play action bootlegs off those runs, and throwback plays off those bootlegs. 

Mike Shanahan of course developed this system in large part with Gary Kubiak, as his OC with the Broncos for a decade starting in 1995, and that coaching tree includes Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. 

Vikings offense under Stefanski/Kubiak will likely have a lot of the same elements shown here.

23 hours ago, Krauser said:

First half of this film room look at Niners TE George Kittle is an excellent breakdown of the Shanahan system of wide zone runs, play action bootlegs off those runs, and throwback plays off those bootlegs. 

Mike Shanahan of course developed this system in large part with Gary Kubiak, as his OC with the Broncos for a decade starting in 1995, and that coaching tree includes Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay. 

Vikings offense under Stefanski/Kubiak will likely have a lot of the same elements shown here.

Nice video. Couldn’t stop thinking how Noah Fant would fare in a  Shanahan offense. I guess Irv would be our guy, or maybe both Irv and Rudolph. 

Edited by marshpit23
To correct font

An interesting theory on this SKOR North video about how much influence Stefanski will have on playcalling as opposed to Kubiak, who has a far lengthier resume. Not in the video itself, but in the comments where a member called 'freedomphilosophy' came out and said:

Kubiak brought his coaches to run the Kubiak offense. Stephanski has no offensive philosophy and he is a yes man. Stephanski will do what he is told, period and be happy doing it. His bloated play book is the result of saying yes to everyone but Kubiak will take charge and cut the crap in order to win.

'Tyler Ireland' disagreed, stating:

If Stefanski is that much of a yes man then Kubiak would be offensive coordinator.

Any thoughts?

2 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Any thoughts?

It just goes to show how many fans are so misinformed. 

1.) The Vikings didn’t bring in Kubiak to undermine Stefanski. Any idea that alludes to this is just ridiculous. It’s also been reported multiple times that it is Stefanski who has a relationship with the Kubiaks, and it was Stefanski who was more responsible for getting Kubiak to come to Minnesota. 

2.) We don’t know what this offense will look like. So to say that Stefanski doesn’t have an offensive philosophy, has a bloated playbook, or that the Vikings will be simply running the Kubiak offense is just premature. 

3.) I don’t think the original commenter knows what a “yes man” is. 

Edited by SemperFeist
  • Like 3

I wouldn't take anything said by freedomphilosophy too seriously. That is not to say that he is wrong, but on the surface there is a lot about what he says that makes me question his credibility. As Mr @swede700 said, he couldn't even spell the name correctly. Also, he talks about a bloated playbook. How can he know what Stefanski's playbook looks like? None of us know. Unless he has intimate knowledge he can't know either. If he had intimate knowledge, he would certainly know how to spell Stefanski's name.

Similarly, there is nothing to support Stefanski being a yes-man. Sure, he could be right but it looks like a load of garbage to me. But that is based on a a reading of just one statement. I don't know the guy's baseline. Without in depth investigation, my initial take based on the one statement I see screams with alarms that I should consider the credibility of that information to be very weak.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I wouldn't take anything said by freedomphilosophy too seriously. That is not to say that he is wrong, but on the surface there is a lot about what he says that makes me question his credibility. As Mr @swede700 said, he couldn't even spell the name correctly. Also, he talks about a bloated playbook. How can he know what Stefanski's playbook looks like? None of us know. Unless he has intimate knowledge he can't know either. If he had intimate knowledge, he would certainly know how to spell Stefanski's name.

Similarly, there is nothing to support Stefanski being a yes-man. Sure, he could be right but it looks like a load of garbage to me. But that is based on a a reading of just one statement. I don't know the guy's baseline. Without in depth investigation, my initial take based on the one statement I see screams with alarms that I should consider the credibility of that information to be very weak.

He's probably a Packer fan in disguise.  Or at least a Vikings version of Gerbschmidt. 

I expect Kubiak to have a major influence on the design of the offense. It'd be a little crazy to bring him in unless that was the plan.

I expect Stefanski to be the play caller and manage more of the in-game adjustments, with Kubiak acting more as an advisor than a coordinator on Sundays.

Kubiak's scheme isn't too far off what Stefanski was doing under Shurmur. The run game design will be a little different with Dennison instead of Sparano (more outside zone). They'll probably make more use of a TE2/FB/H-back (Irv) instead of a WR3. They'll probably put Cousins under center more often. But it's not going to be much of a stretch to combine that with stuff that Stefanski has done previously, and come up with an integrated scheme. 

Coller and the SKOR North people have been trying to drum up some controversy on this point (as their business model requires), but there should be no problem. The dynamic between Kubiak and Shurmur on offense shouldn't be much different than Zimmer and Edwards on defense, except in this case the coordinator will be the play caller.

• Like 3