What might the KSO look like?

vike daddy

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

We'll see what happens when they face a decent quarterback. They gave up a lot of rushing yards and let some Wrs run free

Eh they gave up the 75 yard TD that made it look worse than it was but in a play by play basis they were fine. Still got to stop big plays though as they count just the same as long drives. I was encouraged especially by the secondary play who had really good days on Thielen & Diggs. 

5 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Eh they gave up the 75 yard TD that made it look worse than it was but in a play by play basis they were fine. Still got to stop big plays though as they count just the same as long drives. I was encouraged especially by the secondary play who had really good days on Thielen & Diggs. 

If they completed a couple passes that cousins overthrew it could have been quite a bit different. Not saying they played bad but they played Trubisky and bad Cousins

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

If they completed a couple passes that cousins overthrew it could have been quite a bit different. Not saying they played bad but they played Trubisky and bad Cousins

If Alexander comes down with the INT on Diggs, the other that went right through his arms later in the game, and King catches the INT to Thielen its not even close. Football is definitely a game of inches but at the end of the day the Packers defense held a pretty good offensive team to 16 points. Cousins may not be a world beater but he has two star WRs, an at least average TE, and a star RB. Cousins wasn't just bad because he was bad. GB also had something to do with Cousins looking bad. 

49 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

If Alexander comes down with the INT on Diggs, the other that went right through his arms later in the game, and King catches the INT to Thielen its not even close. Football is definitely a game of inches but at the end of the day the Packers defense held a pretty good offensive team to 16 points. Cousins may not be a world beater but he has two star WRs, an at least average TE, and a star RB. Cousins wasn't just bad because he was bad. GB also had something to do with Cousins looking bad. 

I don't mean to make a big thing of it. Obviously the Vikings didn't play well enough to win. I'm just saying wait until a QB that takes advantage of the opportunities goes against the Packers. It's still early

1 hour ago, Spartacus said:

Odd game to review really. I feel like the Packers D had a great day but at the same time the 3 big plays (Diggs, Beebee, Cook) really kept it closer than it seemed to look. On top of that Cousins should have been INT on the Diggs play or at the very least it should have been broken up and Cousins should have been sacked on the Beebee play if not for an extremely savvy move from Beebee to cut off his route and help his QB (Good throw going down by Cousins as well). You also look at the call backed TD on Cook PI affecting the outcome as well. 

There’s no “should’ve been sacked” on a dumpoff checkdown. That was a good play by Cousins and Beebe. 

No way to expect Alexander to intercept Diggs’ TD. He was playing the other side of the field in Cover 3, it wasn’t his zone. He made an amazing play just to get close. But Diggs had the angle and he’s one of the best in the league at the catch point. 

Agree that the Packers defense did play well in general. They took away the playaction rollouts, got a good pass rush, and made some plays in coverage, especially Alexander. They gave up a steady diet of short to medium gains vs the run, but that’s a smart price to pay.

But still, the Vikings put up 421 yards at over 7 yards per play, and were a super-questionable OPI call made only on review and 2 missed kicks away from scoring 24. And Cousins left a bunch of plays on the field: the INT in the end zone cost them 3-7, the deep miss to Diggs wide open cost them another likely TD or at least a red zone possession, and the miss to Thielen open by the sideline on 3rd down would’ve sustained a drive to midfield. 

The Packers so far have played the 2 lowest graded QBs in the league in Trubisky and Cousins. Those low grades reflect mistakes and poor play by the QBs, not great play by the defense. The defense is obviously better than they were last year, but they still need to tighten up in coverage, or else a QB who isn’t having a terrible game will be able to take better advantage. 

Edited by Krauser
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings have 574 rushing yards through 3 games (578 if you take out the lost yards on the QB kneel downs), they didn’t hit that mark until week 7 last season. 

Zimmer is getting what he wanted. 

Which is an offense far more like some cross-breed between Shurmur and Kubiak.  While it's not exactly 2012-esque in feeding the ball to Adrian against 8 and 9-man fronts, it's about as close as you're going to get since then.  

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Which is an offense far more like some cross-breed between Shurmur and Kubiak.  While it's not exactly 2012-esque in feeding the ball to Adrian against 8 and 9-man fronts, it's about as close as you're going to get since then.  

It seems like our receivers are doing more downfield blocking, similar to Peterson's early years.

It almost looks like the offensive line blocking is turning the defensive line perpendicular to the line of scrimmage which creates huge amounts of open field real estate.  The running game has been an absolute joy to watch. 

So far, the score has been lopsided early on in each game.  It will be interesting to see the KSO in a close chess match game.

13 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings have 574 rushing yards through 3 games (578 if you take out the lost yards on the QB kneel downs), they didn’t hit that mark until week 7 last season. 

It’s still hard for me to look at this as a serious trend yet. MN played two bad teams to start the year in Atlanta and Oakland so it has to be skewed, especially considering we’ve yet to attempt a pass at home in the 4th quarter. There will be better competition on the schedule. I guess you could look at the Packers game, one big run definitely skewed Cook’s yardage and Cousins was so erratic, he left a ton of passing yards in the field.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

It’s still hard for me to look at this as a serious trend yet. MN played two bad teams to start the year in Atlanta and Oakland so it has to be skewed, especially considering we’ve yet to attempt a pass at home in the 4th quarter. There will be better competition on the schedule. I guess you could look at the Packers game, one big run definitely skewed Cook’s yardage and Cousins was so erratic, he left a ton of passing yards in the field.

We'll only know the real trend come Game 5, because (as I understand) teams often use 4 game tapes when preparing their game-plan.  As of right now though, no one has truly been able to stop them yet, so we'll know a lot after the Bears game...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Dalvin Cook: “[How we're playing] is part of our head coach’s identity, that comes with the old school rules. We know the type of defense we’ve got, if we can keep this thing close and keep this thing manageable for us to go win the football game, that’s part of running the football and taking big shots and making plays and just converting. That’s what Zim likes to do. I like it, if that’s what Zimmer likes to do.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/unbelievable-dalvin-cook-leading-the-way-for-vikings-offense/