What might the KSO look like?

vike daddy

Kevin Stefanski had his best day as Vikings offensive coordinator Sunday in game plan, play-calling and sheer optics. Of course, he won’t agree with that statement or accept an ounce of praise because you could fit Stefanski’s ego inside a matchbox. Players obviously deserve credit for feasting on an Eagles defense that had vulnerable areas, but Stefanski’s plan was both creative and aggressive, highlighted by new wrinkles that gave the offense a different look.

Stefanski called pass plays on 17 of 33 first downs, a diversion from normal tactics. The Vikings entered the game ranked fourth in the NFL in first-down run percentage. Stefanski confused the Eagles after a successful third-down conversion on the opening drive by going quick tempo on the next play, which aided a 14-yard run by Cook.

The game plan included a heavy mix of play-action passes and play designs that enabled Kirk Cousins to move outside the pocket, which plays to his strength. Cousins was masterful in keeping the defense off-balance with a blend of quick passes and deep shots. Stefanski’s menu also included a reverse to Stefon Diggs, a shovel pass to tight end Irv Smith Jr. and a second reverse that gave Diggs an option to pass. They have practiced that trick play since OTAs.

“Some of those are on your call sheet for five weeks at a time and you just call them to get them off the call sheet,” Stefanski said, smiling. “We didn’t go into it saying we have to play razzle-dazzle. We go into every game saying, ‘How can we be explosive?’ If it’s running it or throwing it, we don’t care.”

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-offensive-coordinator-kevin-stefanski-makes-his-mark-with-masterful-game-plan/563095282/

Edited by vike daddy

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

The short passes haven't worked much for Irv Smith but he's been great downfield.

I am surprised that we aren't getting Rudolph more involved. I figured he'd benefit the most from Stefanski's offense.

Based on the Shanahan/Kubiak offense, I’m not surprised that Rudolph is being ignored. It seems that the move TE gets the most looks, like Jordan Reed and Owen Daniels as recent examples of how the TE is involved. Smith fits the mold of Reed and Daniels, not Rudolph. Honestly wish they would have just traded Rudolph as soon as Smith was drafted. or at the very least, not extend him. He’s looking at maybe 2-3 targets per game, not worth it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

Based on the Shanahan/Kubiak offense, I’m not surprised that Rudolph is being ignored. It seems that the move TE gets the most looks, like Jordan Reed and Owen Daniels as recent examples of how the TE is involved. Smith fits the mold of Reed and Daniels, not Rudolph. Honestly wish they would have just traded Rudolph as soon as Smith was drafted. or at the very least, not extend him. He’s looking at maybe 2-3 targets per game, not worth it.

Based on casual observation (I haven't studied the topic) Rudolph has looked better this year blocking than he has previous years. However, I do think the team could get a blocking TE for cheaper that would be better at blocking. In fact, David Morgan is a better blocking TE. For the team to get value out of Rudolph he needs to be a complete TE that can both block and catch competently. To be fair, he is competent doing both. I am not sure he is good enough to be worth what they are paying him. I think the other piece of value the team gets out of Kyle Rudolph is the fact that he is a strong veteran presence on the team for the younger guys to learn from.

16 minutes ago, since72 said:

Every time they complete a pass to Rudolph and he runs a few more yards, I wonder why the broadcast suddenly goes from real time to slow motion....?????

Which is usually followed up by the commentators wondering why he’s barely been involved this year. Wonder why?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I hope the offense doesn’t get too focused on the explosive play where they live or die by it. Long, time consuming drives will help the defense down the stretch. Though, MN has had those as well so it’s probably not too concerning yet.

Its been a very balanced offense so far, like Shurmur's offense. We're good. 😄

Kyle Rudolph had three catches for 36 yards; Irv Smith, Jr., had two catches for 29 yards. The stats aren’t flashy, but Offensive Coordinator Kevin Stefanski’s use of tight ends made life difficult for Philadelphia. The Vikings took advantage of Philly’s fear of Dalvin Cook and used big personnel packages to give the indication that they planned to run the ball down the Eagles throats when really they used multiple tight end sets and packages with fullback C.J. Ham to create confusion and mismatches that had the Eagles scrambling.

You can see from the snap counts (Rudolph – 70; Smith – 38; Ham – 34; TE Tyler Conklin – 11) that Pro Bowler Kyle Rudolph was on the field for every play but he was flanked by either Smith or Ham for nearly the entire game and No. 3 tight end Tyler Conklin got his fair share of work as well. The result was the Eagles using three linebackers. The Eagles did not stay disciplined defensively or catch the quarterback getting out of the pocket or understand where they had to be, and that largely can be credited to the tight ends and fullback.

Minnesota used multiple tight end sets or 21 personnel (running back, fullback and tight end) and had great success selling the run to create endless space for the receivers or tight ends. The Eagles continued throughout the game to use eight-man boxes with base personnel (three linebackers), and the Vikings simply ate them alive.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-vikings-tes-subtly-played-significant-role-in-eagles-win?sf221610042=1

13 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

You can see from the snap counts (Rudolph – 70; Smith – 38; Ham – 34; TE Tyler Conklin – 11) that Pro Bowler Kyle Rudolph was on the field for every play but he was flanked by either Smith or Ham for nearly the entire game and No. 3 tight end Tyler Conklin got his fair share of work as well. The result was the Eagles using three linebackers. The Eagles did not stay disciplined defensively or catch the quarterback getting out of the pocket or understand where they had to be, and that largely can be credited to the tight ends and fullback.

Minnesota used multiple tight end sets or 21 personnel (running back, fullback and tight end) and had great success selling the run to create endless space for the receivers or tight ends. The Eagles continued throughout the game to use eight-man boxes with base personnel (three linebackers), and the Vikings simply ate them alive.

https://www.vikings.com/news/lunchbreak-vikings-tes-subtly-played-significant-role-in-eagles-win?sf221610042=1

This has been my favorite thing about the offense this year. This is why establishing the run game is so important, because defenses can't afford to double when they also have to worry about the run. It's also why I wasn't terribly worried this offseason about the No. 3 WR spot.

• Like 2