The Search for Coaching Staff Begins

AKRNA

11 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

What’s so great about Fangio as HC? Please illuminate me. I’m not saying he’s going to be Vance/Mac but some in Broncos Country are talking like we just hit a homerun. Honest observers around the league without a horse in the race have said it’s a very “meh” hire, not a strikeout but certainly not a homerun either.  

And, just as a reminder, all 3 Super Bowls this team has won have come with Kubiak and Dennison as part of the coaching staffs. 

Two of those (with Kubes and Dennison) were in the 90's. The game has passed them by. And, while I don't know if Fangio will be great, I have a better vibe about this hire than I did with Vance and even Kubes three years ago.

10 minutes ago, jolly red giant said:

Elway deserves credit for getting Munchak to come here as OL coach after being rejected for HC.

And Munchak himself for swallowing his pride and accepting the job.

With Munchak’s history of zone blocking under Mike Heimerdinger and Scangarello coming from Kyle Shanahan’s system I think we will probably be looking at the type of offense that Atlanta ran when they had that record breaking season two years back and the Niners were running with Jimmy Garoppolo.

It’s a modernised version of the Mike Shanahan system and I kinda like it. Traditional Broncos offense but unlike the Kubiak and friends approach, it’s been modernised into the 21st century. Phillip Lindsay could break records as a receiver out of the backfield in this system. 

1 hour ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

Two of those (with Kubes and Dennison) were in the 90's. The game has passed them by. And, while I don't know if Fangio will be great, I have a better vibe about this hire than I did with Vance and even Kubes three years ago.

The former is a valid concern. It will be interesting to see how that band all does in Minny with Cousins, who, coincidentially, was drafted and developed by Mike and Kyle. 

Hiring Vance instead of Kyle was a mistake Elway knows he made. Good to see he’s rectifying it. Seems like they’re putting a lot of good minds in the room, let’s hope Vic can lead the group. 

By going with Scangarello we are embracing the newer-age version of the Shanahan way, which is what it appears Elway wanted. Had Gary not been so loyal to his former lieutentents, he’d have the job here. Interestingly, our basic philosophy with Scangarello willc be the same as with Gary but perhaps with more openess to a modernization of that approach. Remember that McVay is a disciple of the (Mike) Shanahan school, he just modernized it with some new concepts that apply the backyard ball approach of the modern college game. 

If the Scangarello hire comes to pass I like the makeup of the offensive staff, especially with an elite OL coach and Hall of Famer like Munchak on board. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

The former is a valid concern. It will be interesting to see how that band all does in Minny with Cousins, who, coincidentially, was drafted and developed by Mike and Kyle. 

Hiring Vance instead of Kyle was a mistake Elway knows he made. Good to see he’s rectifying it. Seems like they’re putting a lot of good minds in the room, let’s hope Vic can lead the group. 

By going with Scangarello we are embracing the newer-age version of the Shanahan way, which is what it appears Elway wanted. Had Gary not been so loyal to his former lieutentents, he’d have the job here. Interestingly, our basic philosophy with Scangarello willc be the same as with Gary but perhaps with more openess to a modernization of that approach. Remember that McVay is a disciple of the (Mike) Shanahan school, he just modernized it with some new concepts that apply the backyard ball approach of the modern college game.

If the Scangarello hire comes to pass I like the makeup of the offensive staff, especially with an elite OL coach and Hall of Famer like Munchak on board. 

Could not agree with you more here. This is exactly what I’m trying to say in my last post but in more articulate words.

2 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

Munchak also has HC experience never a bad thing for our coaching staff

Yeah, good for Fangio as a first time HC and Scangarello as a first time OC to have a former HC to sound off to, plus we arguably have the best OL and best DL coaches in the league now so we are going to be real tough in the trenches next season. 

As much as the whole Kubiak-as-OC idea was a terrible one - the fact Elway was willing to go with a Shanahan disciple over re-treading Kubiak & co. suggests that he's again open to admitting past big mistakes, and going 180 degrees where needed.   That was key to him in the 2018 draft to focus less on tools-only and low-skills guys early on, and going back to be D-centric on team-building after SB48.   Elway's had his share of big whiffs (QB, Day 2 pre-2018), but what's also defined him has been the willingness to go 180 degrees when needed.  For all the talk about Elway finding Day 3 gold, or his cap management during our contention years, or the value FA gold he found (and they all played a big part) - those 2 defining moments changed our team's fortunes at really key points.   Every GM is going to make mistakes, but it's how you adjust that leads to sustained success.    This could very well be a 3rd moment similar to those 2 (provided the 2018 draft lessons stick of course).

Elway's embracing of a Shanahan coach is a tacit admission he made a mistake in going VJ over Shanny.    While that's obvious to everyone, it's another thing for him to suck it up enough to make his next hire a Shanahan-tree coach.   It's literally as big an admission that "hey, Shanny, oops there", as he can make without outright saying it.   For the mistakes Elway's made, his willingness to face them have been key moments in his GM career.   

The next key decision will be who he chooses as the QBOTF - will it be an all-tools/low-skills guy, and a reach?  Or will it be a more skills-based guy?   Or holding off if the price is too high?  That's probably in the end going to be the biggest decision for our future - but at least it's heartening to see he's willing to embrace change (on his own, or if Fangio made the case, either way works).   Hopefully he'll look at his QB history in the same light as he looked at passing up on Shanny, or going tools-based / low-skills guy so often pre-2018 draft, and look for a better method of QB evaluation.  Targeting Scangarello would hopefully show that Elway's also willing to get more input from outside. 

FWIW, while most if not all of us are happy to see Kubiak not return as OC -  we should recognize that overall we should be thankful to Kubiak for his time in DEN.   Without him, we don't win SB50.   He was a better in-game HC than Fox was, and that was a key reason we made it over the hump - especially when Peyton regressed to that corpse-level of play in 2015.     We shouldn't lose sight of that.  But it's also clear we weren't going to advance O-scheme wise - where Kubiak wanted more of the same old same old coaching-wise, it became impossible to see that the scheme Kubiak would bring back was suddenly going to be adaptive to the new era of football we live in.   

The new OC might very well fail - but it gives us hope we can evolve and adapt to the new O requirements.   With Kubiak/Dennison & the same staff, it's hard to see any hope of that.   And with Munchak, it's hard not to be hopeful that our OL play can experience sustained improvement.   Still, I wish Kubiak nothing but the best (but am still glad he's not the OC here).

7 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As much as the whole Kubiak-as-OC idea was a terrible one - the fact Elway was willing to go with a Shanahan disciple suggests that he's again open to admitting past big mistakes, and going 180 degrees where needed.   That was key to him in the 2018 draft to focus less on tools-only and low-skills guys early on, and going back to be D-centric on team-building after SB48.   Elway's had his share of big whiffs (QB, Day 2 pre-2018), but what's also defined him has been the willingness to go 180 degrees when needed.   His embracing of a Shanahan coach is a tacit admission he made a mistake in going VJ over Shanny.    While that's obvious to everyone, it's another thing for him to suck it up enough to make his next hire a Shanahan-tree coach.   It's literally as big an admission that "hey, Shanny, oops there", as he can make without outright saying it.   For the mistakes Elway's made, his willingness to face them have been key moments in his GM career.   

The next key decision will be who he chooses as the QBOTF - will it be an all-tools/low-skills guy, and a reach?  Or will it be a more skills-based guy?   Or holding off if the price is too high?  That's probably in the end going to be the biggest decision for our future - but at least it's heartening to see he's willing to embrace change (on his own, or if Fangio made the case, either way works).   Hopefully he'll look at his QB history in the same light as he looked at passing up on Shanny, or going tools-based / low-skills guy so often pre-2018 draft, and look for a better method of QB evaluation.  Targeting Scangarello would hopefully show that Elway's also willing to get more input from outside. 

FWIW, while most if not all of us are happy to see Kubiak not return as OC -  we should recognize that overall we should be thankful to Kubiak for his time in DEN.   Without him, we don't win SB50.   He was a better in-game HC than Fox was, and that was a key reason we made it over the hump - especially when Peyton regressed to that corpse-level of play in 2015.     We shouldn't lose sight of that.  But it's also clear we weren't going to advance O-scheme wise - where Kubiak wanted more of the same old same old coaching-wise, it became impossible to see that the scheme Kubiak would bring back was suddenly going to be adaptive to the new era of football we live in.   

The new OC might very well fail - but it gives us hope we can evolve and adapt to the new O requirements.   With Kubiak/Dennison & the same staff, it's hard to see any hope of that.   And with Munchak, it's hard not to be hopeful that our OL play can experience sustained improvement.   Still, I wish Kubiak nothing but the best (but am still glad he's not the OC here).

Good post. Really good post. I hope Elway doesn't force himself to pick a QB if he doesn't see one he really likes. If he thinks there's a franchise QB there than by all means take him at 10 and trade up if need be, but don't just take the best QB because he's a QB. It's that kind of thinking that led to the Paxton Lynch pick as well as the much criticised Bolles pick, although the Bolles pick has turned out decently at least.

Archived