The Search for Coaching Staff Begins

AKRNA

2 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He really is a one of the most advanced 'between the ears' QB's that I have ever scouted. On top of that, we are not talking about a guy with all brains, no brawn. He is 6'5 and some are saying a 4.65 type athlete. Thats tremendous. His arm isnt Mahomes, but its good enough to make all the throws. He should be such an easy pick if avaliable at #10. But IMO he will be taken before then.

So, is this the year the Broncos break the draft bank to move up for a QB?

Spending big on FA works great when you only need 1-2 key pieces and you get a true difference maker.  When it’s used to fix multiple holes and especially when it’s just the best available FA that year it’s usually a disaster.   Elway never went for high priced talent unless it was a true difference maker in the 2013-15 window.   It would be a massive mistake to start now.  

Going young and getting depth and building the roster through the draft are what lead to successful rebuilds.  Getting cap healthy is a big part of getting back to sustained contention.  I hope Elway doesn’t try to speed it up with a bunch of high priced FA.  It certainly didn’t work to go 1-year vets last year.  2nd-3rd contract guys hitting the peak rarely work out.  I really hope we don’t see that kind of big push here.  Guess we will see.   

2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Spending big on FA works great when you only need 1-2 key pieces and you get a true difference maker.  When it’s used to fix multiple holes and especially when it’s just the best available FA that year it’s usually a disaster.   Elway never went for high priced talent unless it was a true difference maker in the 2013-15 window.   It would be a massive mistake to start now.  

Going young and getting depth and building the roster through the draft are what lead to successful rebuilds.  Getting cap healthy is a big part of getting back to sustained contention.  I hope Elway doesn’t try to speed it up with a bunch of high priced FA.  It certainly didn’t work to go 1-year vets last year.  2nd-3rd contract guys hitting the peak rarely work out.  I really hope we don’t see that kind of big push here.  Guess we will see.   

Just needs to build off of last years crop and let Sanders, Von, and CHJ lead the youngsters. 

21 minutes ago, Counselor said:

This coaching staff is impressive 

No doubt and it honestly will put more pressure on Elway.  This staff is made up of some of the best in the business at what they do.

Fangio is considered one of the best schematic coaches in the game as well as one of the best LB coaches.

Mike Munchak is arguably the best OL coach in the business.

Ed Donatell while promoted to DC is also happens to be one of the best DB coaches in the game.

I was incredibly pessimistic of Elway moving into this coaching search, but it’s hard for me at this point to say it isn’t a homerun.  However, this could be a nail in Elway’s coffin as VPO as this is an elite staff of coaches with a long and proven track record of success and not just in the past (like Kubiak) but current success as well, if they aren’t able to be successful the arrow would point toward Elway not being able to get the correct talent.  It isn’t something that can be blamed on the coaches, as it was with Vance Joseph.

Have to give Elway credit, though.  This will be as well a coached team as there is in the NFL and he’s put the pressure on himself to get the right players in the building.

I am pretty astonished we were able to put this staff together given some of the other coaching openings out there. There were quite a few teams with better young talent, and ever team had better QB talent, but its clear that the franchise still carries quite a legacy despite the past three seasons. And the bonus of living in Denver cant be overlooked. Its one of the best quality of life cities in the states.

2 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am pretty astonished we were able to put this staff together given some of the other coaching openings out there. There were quite a few teams with better young talent, and ever team had better QB talent, but its clear that the franchise still carries quite a legacy despite the past three seasons. And the bonus of living in Denver cant be overlooked. Its one of the best quality of life cities in the states.

Well there are teams with better young talent thats true.

But better qb talent is debatable in situations.  I mean we don't have our qbotf right now. But we're looking for one. As an oc to me that looks attractive.  I'd rather deal with the search forva qb then being stuck with an overpriced veteran you're trying to fix. Or an injury prone qb like marcus Mariota. 

Well there are teams with better young talent thats true.

But better qb talent is debatable in situations.  I mean we don't have our qbotf right now. But we're looking for one. As an oc to me that looks attractive.  I'd rather deal with the search forva qb then being stuck with an overpriced veteran you're trying to fix. Or an injury prone qb like marcus Mariota. 

We are stuck with an overpriced veteran, and at pick #10 once the QB's start gaining steam we may not be in a position to take anyone of note.

IDK how having no QB on the roster and a pretty mediocre pick (In terms of where top QB's go) can be seen as attractive for an OC.

Also, this team with Mariota would be consiterably better. Like, arguably WC caliber. He is injury prone but only 25, almost hit 70% of his passes last year, presents a running option and isnt Case Keenum. His stats are never sexy but he manages to get wins and manage games. I wouldnt take him over Haskert or Jones, but taking age/salary/potential into account having him here would be a problem that I take 10/10 times over our current situation.

You guys should really like your new LB coach, Staley. 

He is a great guy and I know the family. I went to school with his youngest brother. 

Dude is a brilliant football mind and I could totally see him being a DC some day. 

Some background info. He played QB for Dayton where he was 16-5 as a starter. He coached all over the place. Dude was a stud DC at the DIII level at the NFL coaching factory known as John Carroll. He has been one of a few DCs that actually was able to shut down Mount Union a couple years ago and the defense carried them to a final four birth. He ended up winning Coordinator of the year in DIII that year and then became the Bears LB coach. He was huge on Mack’s transition last hear from changing teams. Mack said Staley helped prepare him a lot early on. So I would assume he would do stud things for Miller and Chubb. 

I will follow Denver to just see how he does. Hopefully the defense turns it up a notch

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

You guys should really like your new LB coach, Staley. 

He is a great guy and I know the family. I went to school with his youngest brother. 

Dude is a brilliant football mind and I could totally see him being a DC some day. 

Some background info. He played QB for Dayton where he was 16-5 as a starter. He coached all over the place. Dude was a stud DC at the DIII level at the NFL coaching factory known as John Carroll. He has been one of a few DCs that actually was able to shut down Mount Union a couple years ago and the defense carried them to a final four birth. He ended up winning Coordinator of the year in DIII that year and then became the Bears LB coach. He was huge on Mack’s transition last hear from changing teams. Mack said Staley helped prepare him a lot early on. So I would assume he would do stud things for Miller and Chubb. 

I will follow Denver to just see how he does. Hopefully the defense turns it up a notch

What would ever happen if the Bears and the Broncos played in the Super Bowl...it would be the dark blue and orange Super Bowl. 

Archived