The Search for Coaching Staff Begins

AKRNA

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

You guys should really like your new LB coach, Staley. 

He is a great guy and I know the family. I went to school with his youngest brother. 

Dude is a brilliant football mind and I could totally see him being a DC some day. 

Some background info. He played QB for Dayton where he was 16-5 as a starter. He coached all over the place. Dude was a stud DC at the DIII level at the NFL coaching factory known as John Carroll. He has been one of a few DCs that actually was able to shut down Mount Union a couple years ago and the defense carried them to a final four birth. He ended up winning Coordinator of the year in DIII that year and then became the Bears LB coach. He was huge on Mack’s transition last hear from changing teams. Mack said Staley helped prepare him a lot early on. So I would assume he would do stud things for Miller and Chubb. 

I will follow Denver to just see how he does. Hopefully the defense turns it up a notch

Also I have seen him speak at coaching clinics. I heard him speak about mixing mixing and mesh zone and man coverages. This was prolly 4years. It was one of the most  thorough ones I ever went too. 

On 1/15/2019 at 11:47 AM, Broncofan said:

Elway never went for high priced talent unless it was a true difference maker in the 2013-15 window.   It would be a massive mistake to start now.  

Going young and getting depth and building the roster through the draft are what lead to successful rebuilds.  Getting cap healthy is a big part of getting back to sustained contention.  I hope Elway doesn’t try to speed it up with a bunch of high priced FA. 

I’m not sure if it’s a decision Elway can make with 100-percent independence. It’s likely that Ellis and the trust are putting major pressure on the team to win now, Klis portended as such when reporting that we over-paid for Munchak and are planning an aggressive offseason. I’d wager that the leadership of the franchise, such as it is, is saying that 10-6+ and a playoff berth is a must for next year. A big name free agent or two, a headline-grabbing trade and a bold move in the draft is probably what they’re asking for to draw positive headlines at the local and national levels. 

21 hours ago, buno67 said:

You guys should really like your new LB coach, Staley. 

He is a great guy and I know the family. I went to school with his youngest brother. 

Dude is a brilliant football mind and I could totally see him being a DC some day. 

Some background info. He played QB for Dayton where he was 16-5 as a starter. He coached all over the place. Dude was a stud DC at the DIII level at the NFL coaching factory known as John Carroll. He has been one of a few DCs that actually was able to shut down Mount Union a couple years ago and the defense carried them to a final four birth. He ended up winning Coordinator of the year in DIII that year and then became the Bears LB coach. He was huge on Mack’s transition last hear from changing teams. Mack said Staley helped prepare him a lot early on. So I would assume he would do stud things for Miller and Chubb. 

I will follow Denver to just see how he does. Hopefully the defense turns it up a notch

Great info - thank you for stopping by and sharing. Here's hoping he turns out better here than a certain Josh McDaniels, who was a WR at John Carroll.

I don't know a great deal about Scangarello. With the unknown comes intrigue and let's face it - he can't do worse than Musgrave managed for most of last year.

2 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Great info - thank you for stopping by and sharing. Here's hoping he turns out better here than a certain Josh McDaniels, who was a WR at John Carroll.

I don't know a great deal about Scangarello. With the unknown comes intrigue and let's face it - he can't do worse than Musgrave managed for most of last year.

On the one hand, he has zero play calling experience, and hasn't been in charge of pre-game planning.   So yeah, that's scary.

On the other hand, he brings in a background of being well-versed in the Shanny version of the WCO.  And so brings in a very different perspective.   Which we sorely need.    And he brings in a different perspective QB evaluation and development - which is the biggest flaw in our past braintrust.   Doesn't mean he'll be any better - but he can't be any worse, and he offers the hope that he could succeed.  It was hard to think Kubiak / co. would suddenly change our ability to ID/develop the right guy (ironically, being in MIN is probably the best chance for him & co. to succeed, given the QB choice is already out of his hands). 

The other part to the equation - how bad the OC "establishment" hiring pool is at present.   I mean, we're seeing a ton of retread hires already (Bevell in DET, Hackett in GB, etc.).   And while some of them will be OK to good fits, likely a bunch are going to be recycled hires that really don't advance that team's O for better or worse - which is fine if the O is good to great.  If they aren't (and usually that's the case if they need a new OC, the exception being the OC being poached/promoted), well, that team's O has little hope of taking a big step forward.  If that O is awful to begin with, the risk of being worse is probably a lot lower scheme-wise, so the risk is worth it.   Our O definitely falls in that category.

The reality nowadays is if you want to find a good OC with a track record of recent success, you either have to have a really talented roster on O (CLE with Todd Monken/Kitchens combo), and usually a QB to be excited about.   We certainly don't have the QB yet, and we don't have the depth.  So we're pretty much in a position where we have to take a calculated risk, and gamble on an unknown quantity, unless we want a retread choice.    Kubiak would have been a really safe choice in a vacuum, but it also offered little chance to address the weaknesses in our O that we had when he was leading the team, and still are experiencing now.   

This OC pick could fail spectacularly - but it was really the only choice we have that offers a chance to make a big improvement in the next 1-2 years.   A safe choice likely only makes incremental upgrades, and a real risk we don't address our biggest issue - properly evaluating and developing QB talent, and adapating our scheme to be more effective in today's NFL.   I'm of the same mind, that the choice is really risky - but we had little choice, given our team situation and current OC pool to choose from.  The fact Elway chose a Shanny disciple at least tells me he recognizes Shanny's system was a better fit than what we've had since passing on him, so, can't argue with that thinking at all.

29 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

I think with Scan in the building now, it really doesn't matter who they draft at QB.  If he can turn Mullens into a capable backup, I think he could do a lot with Lock or Daniels. 

Queue 3 months of rumors of us being interested in trading for Mullens.

13 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Queue 3 months of rumors of us being interested in trading for Mullens.

As a backup for sure!! I'd say restructure Keenum's contract and keep him around as a backup.  But, if he really thinks he is a starter, then bring in Mullens as the backup to Lock, or Dan Jones.

As a backup for sure!! I'd say restructure Keenum's contract and keep him around as a backup.  But, if he really thinks he is a starter, then bring in Mullens as the backup to Lock, or Dan Jones.

Does Case really have incentive to restructure? And do we? He would be a fool to reduce his guaranteed amount because it just makes it easier to walk away from him. And if we push the guaranteed amount down the road, we are just putting off the inevitable. Just take the hit of a 18M backup QB for one season and start whomever we draft at 1.10.

37 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Does Case really have incentive to restructure? And do we? He would be a fool to reduce his guaranteed amount because it just makes it easier to walk away from him. And if we push the guaranteed amount down the road, we are just putting off the inevitable. Just take the hit of a 18M backup QB for one season and start whomever we draft at 1.10.

If they draft a QB at 1.10 (or earlier) who will be, at least at the time he's drafted, viewed as the long-term answer, they keep Case around for a year at his current rate and let him walk in a year, or resign him for a much lower rate to be the long-term backup. The only way I see us parting ways with Case this offseason is if he part of a trade to acquire an already-established player to be the long-term answer (someone like Foles), which I see as highly unlikely. One, no team in their right mind is going to take Case at $18M and, two, I don't think we go the veteran route. 

Archived