The Search for Coaching Staff Begins

AKRNA

Yea - the one thing the Scangerello (SP?) hire screams to me is "WE'RE DRAFTING A QB".  They are bringing him in because they hope he can be a good OC, yes, but first and foremost, because they KNOW he can ID QB talent and coach them up.  

At this point, if we don't end up with 1 of Haskins, Locke, or Jones, I''ll be amazed

1 minute ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Yea - the one thing the Scangerello (SP?) hire screams to me is "WE'RE DRAFTING A QB".  They are bringing him in because they hope he can be a good OC, yes, but first and foremost, because they KNOW he can ID QB talent and coach them up.  

At this point, if we don't end up with 1 of Haskins, Locke, or Jones, I''ll be amazed

Hopefully he talks them out of Lock

Hopefully he talks them out of Lock

Lock doesnt seem like a Scangerello QB. He seems to prefer guys with pocket awareness, quick decision makers, mobile enough to throw on the run, accuracy, compact throwing motion, etc. SF employed many passes that got out of the QB's hands very quickly to get a offensive weapon in space, building off that to take deep shots. Seems alot more Jones/Haskert IMO.

Lock is a cannon armed athlete who might do best in a slow to develop type scheme with alot of 2nd level crossing patterns. He can rifle it in there. Maybe a system like Pitt seems to use. But he doesnt seem like a quick-diagnoser or decision maker.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Lock doesnt seem like a Scangerello QB. He seems to prefer guys with pocket awareness, quick decision makers, mobile enough to throw on the run, accuracy, compact throwing motion, etc. SF employed many passes that got out of the QB's hands very quickly to get a offensive weapon in space, building off that to take deep shots. Seems alot more Jones/Haskert IMO.

Lock is a cannon armed athlete who might do best in a slow to develop type scheme with alot of 2nd level crossing patterns. He can rifle it in there. Maybe a system like Pitt seems to use. But he doesnt seem like a quick-diagnoser or decision maker.

You keep calling Haskins, Haskert

13 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Lock may not be Scangarello's type, but he's definitely Elway's type which is probably all that matters.

I'm praying someone trades up in front of us to take Lock. 

I do not think Elway hired Scangarello without being aware of how good he is with QBs, which tells me that Scangarello will have input in who the Broncos select.  However, it would not be shocking if during the interview, Elway and Scangarello talked about who they want to draft.  In fact, I am sure it was talked about at lengthy, because I am going to venture to guess that if Scangarello succeeds as an OC, and as Vic gets older, at some point, Scangarello gets promoted to HC at some point, which is really why I wanted this hire...it is the succession plan for Fangio.  With that said, it would make sense to put long-term QB, with long-term plan at HC.  

On 1/17/2019 at 9:10 AM, DiehardBronxFan said:

Just a feeling, but I really doubt we draft a QB at #1. 

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Well then theres three options trade for a qb Jacoby brissett, draft a qb in rounds 2 through 4, trade back in the first with a team targetting a specific player ala Steelers for the mlb White and aquire a future first wed than pick a qb rounds 4 through 7. 

Thing is I'm not sold that Case can't get traded. Maybe not for much, but lets keep in mind Cam Just had a second shoulder surgery in two years. 

2 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Man I hope you’re wrong.  At some point you have to have a franchise QB.  Average QB play has never sustained success over the last 15 years.  There are outlier years, like last year with Foles, Keenum, and Bortles being QBs in Conference Championship games, but that’s few and far between.  If you look over the past 15 years the majority of teams playing in the Conference Championship and SB have franchise QBs that have or will spend 10+ years quarterbacking for that single franchise.

Denver may get an outlier year here or there jumping from average QB to average QB, but to be a consistent threat of making a conference championship they have to find a long term solution, history shows that.

Archived