The Search for Coaching Staff Begins

AKRNA

36 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Man I hope you’re wrong.  At some point you have to have a franchise QB.  Average QB play has never sustained success over the last 15 years.  There are outlier years, like last year with Foles, Keenum, and Bortles being QBs in Conference Championship games, but that’s few and far between.  If you look over the past 15 years the majority of teams playing in the Conference Championship and SB have franchise QBs that have or will spend 10+ years quarterbacking for that single franchise.

Denver may get an outlier year here or there jumping from average QB to average QB, but to be a consistent threat of making a conference championship they have to find a long term solution, history shows that.

I don't really disagree. I just think if we draft a QB at #10 we'll be stuck with the bolded.

6 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

I don't really disagree. I just think if we draft a QB at #10 we'll be stuck with the bolded.

Oh I don’t know.  I like Daniel Jones.  Lock has grown on me a bit after watching him more, but I think he could definitely use sitting half a year to a year, which Denver is capable of doing with Keenum on the roster, but I could easily see him bust.

Though, I think Stidham is going to be their guy in round 2.  He’s a great fit in a WCO and Kyle Shanahan has been impressed with him while coaching him at the Senior Bowl.  If Shanahan likes him I’d assume Scarangello does as well.

1 hour ago, germ-x said:

Oh I don’t know.  I like Daniel Jones.  Lock has grown on me a bit after watching him more, but I think he could definitely use sitting half a year to a year, which Denver is capable of doing with Keenum on the roster, but I could easily see him bust.

Though, I think Stidham is going to be their guy in round 2.  He’s a great fit in a WCO and Kyle Shanahan has been impressed with him while coaching him at the Senior Bowl.  If Shanahan likes him I’d assume Scarangello does as well.

So what can you tell me about Stidham? 

As much as I don't think we'll take one at #10 I'd be surprised if we didn't pick one in the next few rounds.

5 hours ago, AKRNA said:

So what can you tell me about Stidham? 

As much as I don't think we'll take one at #10 I'd be surprised if we didn't pick one in the next few rounds.

I haven’t seen a lot of him, but the reports say a guy with decent size, he was 6’3” 215 at the Senior Bowl who is an above average athlete with an above average arm.  Took care of the football at Auburn, 11 total INTs over 2 years.  Also is reportedly a very good leader and very competitive.

Knocks are most thought he’d take his game to the next level this year and never did.  Comes from the Auburn offense, which is simple.

Denver is either going to draft a QB at 10, or in Round 7. They can't have back to back years with a Top 10 pick and come away with no QB. if you don't get one in that time frame, odds are you aren't getting one at any other point in the draft. 

Not to mention, being patient and hoping a QB falls into your lap doesn't happen much either. If Denver likes Lock or whomever, go for it and get him. I'd rather the team gambled on talent at QB in Round 1 than roll with Keenum another year. Denver has been playing it safe at QB since Elway retired with the exception of the Manning years. The times they didn't play it safe, they never actually started the QB they drafted (Osweiler, Lynch). If I'm Elway, I go draft a guy at 10 or earlier, play him immediately, let him take the lumps and see how he develops. Enough with the sitting guys for two years. 

43 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

Denver is either going to draft a QB at 10, or in Round 7. They can't have back to back years with a Top 10 pick and come away with no QB. if you don't get one in that time frame, odds are you aren't getting one at any other point in the draft. 

Not to mention, being patient and hoping a QB falls into your lap doesn't happen much either. If Denver likes Lock or whomever, go for it and get him. I'd rather the team gambled on talent at QB in Round 1 than roll with Keenum another year. Denver has been playing it safe at QB since Elway retired with the exception of the Manning years. The times they didn't play it safe, they never actually started the QB they drafted (Osweiler, Lynch). If I'm Elway, I go draft a guy at 10 or earlier, play him immediately, let him take the lumps and see how he develops. Enough with the sitting guys for two years. 

Elway is going to look very bad if he was unwilling to give up a couple of seconds last year to move up for Darnold, but then trades up for Lock and throws him into the fire. 

I mean hes asking for trouble at that point. This first round is very deep. I agree the safe approach is dumb. But there's a fine line being aggressive and stupid. 

As we stand at 10 right now we could trade down and still get an impact player at wr, cb, along the d line, rt, guard. If we trade up for Lock and use early picks you're taking assets and resources from an already thin roster depth wise that also has holes.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Elway is going to look very bad if he was unwilling to give up a couple of seconds last year to move up for Darnold, but then trades up for Lock and throws him into the fire. 

I mean hes asking for trouble at that point. This first round is very deep. I agree the safe approach is dumb. But there's a fine line being aggressive and stupid. 

As we stand at 10 right now we could trade down and still get an impact player at wr, cb, along the d line, rt, guard. If we trade up for Lock and use early picks you're taking assets and resources from an already thin roster depth wise that also has holes.

To be fair Gettleman didn’t return Elway’s call to move up.  Gettleman never trades back.    

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-gm-didnt-bother-listening-to-trades-for-no-2-pick-in-nfl-draft-leave-me-alone/

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair Gettleman didn’t return Elway’s call to move up.  Gettleman never trades back.    

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/giants-gm-didnt-bother-listening-to-trades-for-no-2-pick-in-nfl-draft-leave-me-alone/

Could Elway not of made a similar type deal the jets made with the colts?

Thats my point and I'm sure the Colts gave denver every opportunity to trade up with them and the price was too rich for Elway.

But everything is coming around full circle and we're about to throw away a first plus more potentially when we could of done it last year with a better prospect imo than anyone in this draft class.

11 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Could Elway not of made a similar type deal the jets made with the colts?

Thats my point and I'm sure the Colts gave denver every opportunity to trade up with them and the price was too rich for Elway.

But everything is coming around full circle and we're about to throw away a first plus more potentially when we could of done it last year with a better prospect imo than anyone in this draft class.

Maybe the front office was not as high on Darnold? It is hard to view these in a vacuum, because their evaluation of the QBs is a complete unknown. The most simple explanation is that I hope they didn't view Darnold as "the guy" and pass up trading for him, and I hope that if they see "the guy" in this draft they trade up for him.

52 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

Maybe the front office was not as high on Darnold? It is hard to view these in a vacuum, because their evaluation of the QBs is a complete unknown. The most simple explanation is that I hope they didn't view Darnold as "the guy" and pass up trading for him, and I hope that if they see "the guy" in this draft they trade up for him.

I think Darnold was the guy otherwise Elway  doesn't make that call to NY Giants on draft  night.  I think Elway failed to trade up with the Colts just flat out because of an error just like the CJ Anderson tender, and the evaluation of Keenum, and Lynch. . 

29 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I think Darnold was the guy otherwise Elway  doesn't make that call to NY Giants on draft  night.  I think Elway failed to trade up with the Colts just flat out because of an error just like the CJ Anderson tender, and the evaluation of Keenum, and Lynch. . 

The Jets gave the Colts 2 second round picks last year and one in 2019 to move up to 1.3

The Broncos didn't have 2 picks in the second round so I suspect the Colts could have asked for the 2018 second round, the 2019 first rounder and a third rounder.

I suspect Elway didn't want to give them the first rounder from 2019.

This year reminds me of 2005 when it comes to QBs. Coming off a year with loads of QB talent, with the next draft supposed to be better in terms of talent. And here we are in a year perceived to be a down year lacking top end talent. 

Of course 2006 turned out to be fools gold and 2005 had 4 QBs have longer careers than the top 2 QBs taken in 06.

will that happen this year? Who the hell knows but that’s the point. You have to evaluate each draft in a vacuum

3 minutes ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

This year reminds me of 2005 when it comes to QBs. Coming off a year with loads of QB talent, with the next draft supposed to be better in terms of talent. And here we are in a year perceived to be a down year lacking top end talent. 

Of course 2006 turned out to be fools gold and 2005 had 4 QBs have longer careers than the top 2 QBs taken in 06.

will that happen this year? Who the hell knows but that’s the point. You have to evaluate each draft in a vacuum

I think by the end of the pre-draft process there will be 3 QBs who get a decent amount of hype. Pretty deep with Day 2-early Day 3 guys too, something you rarely see. 

I've seen it compared to 2013 and I think that's way off base. That's the worst QB draft I can remember and nobody stood out as having Pro Bowl potential. There is at least some upside in this one. 

Archived