The Search for Coaching Staff Begins

AKRNA

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It will be interesting to see how that band all does in Minny with Cousins, who, coincidentially, was drafted and developed by Mike and Kyle. 

I just saw that on Rotoworld. It looks like Gary will be an offensive advisor, with interim coach Kevin Stefanski staying as OC and Gary's son Klint as QB coach (I didn't see anything about Dennison, but he probably will be involved somehow).

2 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The former is a valid concern. It will be interesting to see how that band all does in Minny with Cousins, who, coincidentially, was drafted and developed by Mike and Kyle. 

36 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

I just saw that on Rotoworld. It looks like Gary will be an offensive advisor, with interim coach Kevin Stefanski staying as OC and Gary's son Klint as QB coach (I didn't see anything about Dennison, but he probably will be involved somehow).

To me, the reasons why MIN could succeed with Kubiak x 2 and Stefanski:

1.   They already have their QB.  They don't need Kubiak to try and pick a guy, or pimp a guy hard to draft.  Kubiak's struggles there are well-known.  But he won’t that problem there.

2.   That's an O that already has their key skill players too.  Cook, Diggs and Thielen are great pieces to work with Cousins.  

To me, the X-factor for success/failure in MIN is the OL - they went from top 10 last year to bottom 5 due to 2 key injuries and losing Tony Sparano as their OL coach, a true top 5 talent (I got the name right lol this time).   That OL killed both their run game and pass pro.    Getting back to just decent OL production likely shoots that O up by default.   In that respect, I'm not so high on Dennison going there - he's had a great body of work, but most of it came in the 1st half of his career as OL coach, not the back half.  Now, maybe getting back to fundamentals, he's still got it.  But given what worked for OL success when he was at his OL coach peak doesn't work now with the change in rules and the change in the size/speed profiles of DL and OL, well, it's harder to be as optimistic.   I'm also not so sure what TE Coach Brian Pariani really brings since the Shannon Sharpe days, but at least there they have an established TE in Rudolph (but they have 2 kids who could use proper development).

But at least Kubiak's biggest weakness is gone - the QB is clear.   To me, how MIN's OL works out will be the key factor.   I do think regardless, HC Mike Zimmer's tendency to fire OC's does give MIN a 2nd candidate to take over OC later in the year - to me, I think that's a mistake to go in that way, but it does create that not-so-subtle dynamic with QBC Klint in tow. 

Good and bad news, IMO, in these 140 characters from the organization's mouthpiece. 

One, tightwad Ellis was willing to open the checkbook to land Munchak. That's good. Too bad he couldn't do that two years ago with Wade. Oh well,  I guess we can't put the toothpaste back in the toothpaste bottle. 

Two, "what promises to be an aggressive offseason," to me sounds like it portends a free agent spending spree. Yes, spending big in 2014 on Sanders, Ward, Talib, Ware et. al. did work out. Problem is, 2014 was something of an exception and I doubt Ellis understands spending big then was different than spending big now. The big ticket FAs who came here then did so with Peyton Manning on the roster who by and large guaranteed, at the very least, a deep postseason run. We don't have that now. They signed for at or even below market value then, to get big-name FAs here now will require us to over pay.  

Now, I know the franchise needs to a) make some headlines to draw fan interest, boost season ticket sales, regular ticket pre-sales and hopefully get a few more prime time games and b) needs to win now to keep Bill Bowlen's forces at bay. A few nice coaching hires are great, spending big in free agency is not. But from Ellis' perspective, it's win this year or there may not be a next year.

3 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:
Two, "what promises to be an aggressive offseason," to me sounds like it portends a free agent spending spree. Yes, spending big in 2014 on Sanders, Ward, Talib, Ware et. al. did work out. Problem is, 2014 was something of an exception and I doubt Ellis understands spending big then was different than spending big now. The big ticket FAs who came here then did so with Peyton Manning on the roster who by and large guaranteed, at the very least, a deep postseason run. We don't have that now. They signed for at or even below market value then, to get big-name FAs here now will require us to over pay.  

Now, I know the franchise needs to a) make some headlines to draw fan interest, boost season ticket sales, regular ticket pre-sales and hopefully get a few more prime time games and b) needs to win now to keep Bill Bowlen's forces at bay. A few nice coaching hires are great, spending big in free agency is not. But from Ellis' perspective, it's win this year or there may not be a next year.

Agree with all of this. This team is not going to benefit from an "aggressive offseason". Terrible feeling in my gut we're going to be in the Foles & AB stakes ...

Terrible feeling in my gut we're going to be in the Foles & AB stakes

I want nothing to do with AB, but Foles would be hard to pass up at the right price. The best move is to take, or trade up, for a QB still. But if we could deal Case and a R2 for Foles, it would be hard to pass up. Caveat is, I dont take/pay another QB with Case on this roster. Thats just too hard to swallow.

24 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I want nothing to do with AB, but Foles would be hard to pass up at the right price. The best move is to take, or trade up, for a QB still. But if we could deal Case and a R2 for Foles, it would be hard to pass up. Caveat is, I dont take/pay another QB with Case on this roster. Thats just too hard to swallow.

Eagles have a $20m option for Foles in 2019, Keenum has a $21m cap hit in 2019. Trade wouldn't make sense. I don't think they pick up his option and he will be a FA.

Foles is a conundrum...marginally okay at the beginning of the season....all-star to get them into the playoffs...plays okay during the Bears game...rock star at the start of the Saints game, then bad after the 2nd quarter...which kind of defines Foles...too up and down for me.  

I think the Broncos will know who there next QB is once they sign Scargarellaeiou. If he gets the OC gig, how do you not pair him with Daniel Jones who by signs is extremely cerebral and could pick up the offense rather quickly.  And, from what I have read, he has all the tools.  They may not be elite, but I think the QB has to have between the ears, which is where Elway has missed on QBs...they have to be able to play chess, not checkers.  I think Jones could be that kind of QB who can think three four steps ahead.   

I think Jones could be that kind of QB who can think three four steps ahead.   

He really is a one of the most advanced 'between the ears' QB's that I have ever scouted. On top of that, we are not talking about a guy with all brains, no brawn. He is 6'5 and some are saying a 4.65 type athlete. Thats tremendous. His arm isnt Mahomes, but its good enough to make all the throws. He should be such an easy pick if avaliable at #10. But IMO he will be taken before then.

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He really is a one of the most advanced 'between the ears' QB's that I have ever scouted. On top of that, we are not talking about a guy with all brains, no brawn. He is 6'5 and some are saying a 4.65 type athlete. Thats tremendous. His arm isnt Mahomes, but its good enough to make all the throws. He should be such an easy pick if avaliable at #10. But IMO he will be taken before then.

I'm not saying they are similar as prospects or anything, but David Cutcliffe, who's coaching Jones at Duke, was the OC/QBs coach for Peyton at Tennessee and Eli at Ole Miss. So we know Jones has been exceptionally well-coached and schooled in the mental nuances of the game. 

I'm not saying they are similar as prospects or anything, but David Cutcliffe, who's coaching Jones at Duke, was the OC/QBs coach for Peyton at Tennessee and Eli at Ole Miss. So we know Jones has been exceptionally well-coached and schooled in the mental nuances of the game. 

Yep, and if Peyton still has any pull with this franchise I would expect he is banging on the table for Jones.

9 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I mean how else would any other QB square up against Mahomes athletically? None. The only way we compete against the Chiefs is to out coach and out think them. Which tells me we need a QB who can play a bit of chess...otherwise, Mahomes owns us for the next two decades.

9 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Yep, and if Peyton still has any pull with this franchise I would expect he is banging on the table for Jones.

Does Peyton have any pull with this franchise? I don't think I have seen anything linking him to any decisions for us. I do love the Jones / Manning connection, but is there really anything there? Maybe Elway and Cutcliffe are close after the whole Manning signing?

Archived