Why the defense lost the game

WindyCity

-Amos, despite the pick, had the brutal penalty to extend TD drive 1, did not call timeout on the TD when he saw there was 10 guys, then got worked by Goeddert for the TD. On the 2nd TD on 3rd and 10, that was converted to the 2 he is in coverage on Jeffery and is standing in the endzone and gives up an easy 1st down. Despite the pick he had an awful game.

-No Jackson seems like a stupid decision at this point.

-Kyle Fuller was not good. He was getting physically pushed around by Jeffery early and then late in the game on the Eagles 2nd TD drive he misses 2 big tackles that turn into significant gains.

-Prince's 1 PI call a game was a back breaker considering the Eagles were struggling to get into the redzone and he was covering Jordan Matthews who is super slow on a go route.

-The Eagles OL was simply better than the Bears OL. There was pressure, but only 1 sack and there was enough time for Foles to throw the ball. They were not great in the run game, but they kept the Bears front 7 from the huge splash plays we were use to.

-Roquan was unreal. More impressive if you can watch it again.

-Sherrick McManis picked the worst time of the year to blow a coverage. He has safety help right behind him on the Tate TD pass and he still plays inside of Tate. The Bears have 2 defenders stacked and no one taking away the flat. If MaManis plays outside then Tate is forced back into the safety, no TD.

Assessing Blame on Defense

1. The secondary was bad

2. Coaching, too many men followed by too few on a TD.

*I thought the front 7 played a decent game.

11 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Huh?

You think that Jackson could have played effectively, but the coaches figured, "What the hell, let's keep him over here by us?" 

It deserves some thought. Otherwise why keep him active? Put him in street clothes and use the 46th spot for someone who could have helped the team. Maybe White's speed could have been beneficial.

33 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

It deserves some thought. Otherwise why keep him active? Put him in street clothes and use the 46th spot for someone who could have helped the team. Maybe White's speed could have been beneficial.

Injury? I mean guys that don't really play suit up for every single game...

6 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

DHC was active and could have played S if need be. If there was no scenario in which Jackson could play, which there wasn't or he would have been on the field for thw Eagles' final drive, it was senseless to activate him.

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

He was running around and jumping up and down on the sideline. Bush wasn’t bad, but Jackson might make a play on some of those floaters Foles was chucking.

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

DHC was active and could have played S if need be. If there was no scenario in which Jackson could play, which there wasn't or he would have been on the field for thw Eagles' final drive, it was senseless to activate him.

DHC got massacred on the 1st down he gave up.

The trickle down.

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

DHC got massacred on the 1st down he gave up.

The trickle down.

Correct. It's not ideal to be on the third safety, but Jackson was clearly not close to 100%. They should have signed a FS during the week then. No sense in activating Jackson if he was only going to play if Bush AND Houston Carson would have left with injuries.

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Correct. It's not ideal to be on the third safety, but Jackson was clearly not close to 100%. They should have signed a FS during the week then. No sense in activating Jackson if he was only going to play if Bush AND Houston Carson would have left with injuries.

Do they have an empty roster spot? I'm confused. 

18 hours ago, WindyCity said:

-Amos, despite the pick, had the brutal penalty to extend TD drive 1, did not call timeout on the TD when he saw there was 10 guys, then got worked by Goeddert for the TD. On the 2nd TD on 3rd and 10, that was converted to the 2 he is in coverage on Jeffery and is standing in the endzone and gives up an easy 1st down. Despite the pick he had an awful game.

-No Jackson seems like a stupid decision at this point.

-Kyle Fuller was not good. He was getting physically pushed around by Jeffery early and then late in the game on the Eagles 2nd TD drive he misses 2 big tackles that turn into significant gains.

-Prince's 1 PI call a game was a back breaker considering the Eagles were struggling to get into the redzone and he was covering Jordan Matthews who is super slow on a go route.

-The Eagles OL was simply better than the Bears OL. There was pressure, but only 1 sack and there was enough time for Foles to throw the ball. They were not great in the run game, but they kept the Bears front 7 from the huge splash plays we were use to.

-Roquan was unreal. More impressive if you can watch it again.

-Sherrick McManis picked the worst time of the year to blow a coverage. He has safety help right behind him on the Tate TD pass and he still plays inside of Tate. The Bears have 2 defenders stacked and no one taking away the flat. If MaManis plays outside then Tate is forced back into the safety, no TD.

Assessing Blame on Defense

1. The secondary was bad

2. Coaching, too many men followed by too few on a TD.

*I thought the front 7 played a decent game.

Good stuff Windy. 

1 hour ago, beardown3231 said:

They could have waived White, Williams, Fitts, etc. Again it beats activating a guy who has a 0% chance of playing.

Would the new FS they then would have signed played? And...I'm supposing the thinking wasn't that there was truly a 0% of Jackson playing, but rather a very small one in the case of injury. 

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Amos was involved in 3 of the biggest negative plays of the game, which surprised me.

I think that was one of the big impacts of the Jackson not playing decision.

Amos is not our 1 on 1 coverage safety.

The worst mistake by the defense was having ten men on the field for the first Eagles touchdown. 

Archived