47 members have voted

1. 1. Stafford vs Cousins vs Trubisky

• Stafford>Cousins>Trubisky
    • Cousins>Stafford>Trubisky
    • Trubisky>Stafford>Cousins
    • Trubisky>Cousins>Stafford
    • Stafford>Trubisky>Cousins
    • Cousins>Trubisky>Stafford

1 of these things is not like the other...

Trubisky is 24 years old while the others are 30. Stafford and Cousins have proven to be stat junkies while never really rising on the big stage and Trubisky was underwhelming his rookie season but also took major strides in year 2. 

Without any context to the question its hard to answer. Obviously I'd rather have Trubisky long term as he has yet to be given a chance to realize his full potential. 

Trubisky showed a lot of promise this year compared to his rookie year. If you are a Bears fan, you hope he build on that. Still, he clearly has a lot to improve on before I am ready to say he is in the same class as Cousins and Stafford. Stafford was horrendous this year but hopefully he can bounce back with a new OC and better/healthier group of receivers. Feel Cousins despite his big game woes is the best of the group.

5 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Random question: does anyone else get reminded of Blake Bortles when they watch Trubisky play? 

I think it's actually a pretty common comparable, tbh. I've said it several times myself in other threads that he has a little too much bortles in him for my taste early on in his career, and I know that I've seen others use it as well. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think it's actually a pretty common comparable, tbh. I've said it several times myself in other threads that he has a little too much bortles in him for my taste early on in his career, and I know that I've seen others use it as well. 

How do you find them comparable? 

27 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

How do you find them comparable? 

The biggest thing is the really bad, random misfires and the every now and again and plays that just make you go, "WTH?". The very inconsistent nature of their play. Some definite mechanical issues for both at times. They both get a lot of use from their legs, maybe more so than they have need to. 

LIS, it's been used before. Bill Barnwell referred to Trubisky as "The Blake Bortles of the North" earlier this year. Robert Mays (Ringer writer, host of NFL Show podcast), a noted and public bears fan, has lamented his Bortlish tendencies as well. Chris Harris also has stated that Trubisky is Blake Bortles in disguise. Again, the biggest thing is just the inconsistency on throw to throw from anything to random misfire to really poor decisions. 

I think it's probably poor verbage to say that they "comparable", even though I myself am guilty of saying that. I Don't think that they are all that similar with regards to how they play. I find Trubisky, despite the accuracy mishaps every now and again, to be a much more accurate passer than Bortles. I also think he's more willing to get the ball downfield. I think the more accurate verbage would be to say that Trubisky has some very Bortlish tendencies (and Bortles is largely a place holder there - you can use any number of previous quarterbacks who shared similar characteristics / flaws in their games, I think Bortles just being more high profile and recent is used for easier digestion). 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think it's probably poor verbage to say that they "comparable", even though I myself am guilty of saying that. I Don't think that they are all that similar with regards to how they play. 

You're right. They aren't. Doesn't make them very"comparable" 

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

You're right. They aren't. Doesn't make them very"comparable" 

That's why I said it was probably poor verbage. But LIS, the comparing of tendencies / characteristics between Trubisky and Bortles isn't a new thing. It's been said quite a few times from quite a few sources. 

It's easy to see why the references have been made in the past. 

Just now, Forge said:

But LIS, the comparing of tendencies / characteristics between Trubisky and Bortles isn't a new thing. It's been said quite a few times from quite a few sources. 

Yup. By the Trubisky haters, who are grasping at...whatever... to retroactively solidify that Tru was a horrible choice in that draft...because they felt that way at the time. Bortles and Trubisky don't play at all alike. They don't have the same problems in their game--by and large (they ARE both quarterbacks). The Bortles thing is simply a convenient false comparison for the haters, based (I guess) on draft position. 

10 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Yup. By the Trubisky haters, who are grasping at...whatever... to retroactively solidify that Tru was a horrible choice in that draft...because they felt that way at the time. Bortles and Trubisky don't play at all alike. They don't have the same problems in their game--by and large (they ARE both quarterbacks). The Bortles thing is simply a convenient false comparison for the haters, based (I guess) on draft position. 

lol.  c'mon man. They have issues with Trubisky so they are haters? One of them is Robert Mays...a very public bears fan. He wrote an entire article on the maddening inconsistency that is Trubisky (the reference to Bortles was on an NFL show podcast). People should be able to have a negative opinion without be labeled "haters". Just so hilarious. "This person doesn't have an opinion I like about my player or team, so I'm going to label them a hater so that I can convince myself their opinions are baseless and denigrate their opinions to others based on something that I just made up with no proof and is just a convenient narrative that doesn't require support". Why do they have any reason to hate him and why do they have to be haters just for having that opinion? 

I love when thats the go to. "Haters". I have no hate for Trubisky, and yeah, I would agree that he has some Bortling issues. Some very poor decisions, some very poor throws now and again. You know he's not perfect, right? He has flaws. 

I give you reasons for the comparisons, you give me, "Haters!!"

Done with this now. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I love when thats the go to. "Haters". I have no hate for Trubisky, and yeah, I would agree that he has some Bortling issues. Some very poor decisions, some very poor throws now and again. You know he's not perfect, right? He has flaws. 

Quite aware he has flaws. Have discussed them quite a bit, actually. Also aware he does have haters--those who criticize his game irrationally, taking absolutely nothing. outside of their preconceptions,  into account. To pretend he doesn't have haters is borderline ridiculous. And to say his game is like Bortles'--warts or no warts--is probably closer. 

14 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Quite aware he has flaws. Have discussed them quite a bit, actually. Also aware he does have haters--those who criticize his game irrationally, taking absolutely nothing. outside of their preconceptions,  into account. To pretend he doesn't have haters is borderline ridiculous. And to say his game is like Bortles'--warts or no warts--is probably closer. 

Trubisky is super inconsistent. The supposed haters knock him because you never know what version of him you are going to get. Trubisky fans fixate too much on his great plays instead of his body of work which is underwhelming. The Bears had one of the best playcallers this year and one of the best defenses of the last 5 years. They didn't get a playoff win in large part to how ineffective Trubisky was for 3 quarters of the game. 

He has a bright future, but I don't think there are haters. There are people hyping him up a ton which causes a stark contrast in opinions. He is an average to below average QB right now (15-18 range). He has all the tools to have a bright future if he can be more consistent.

15 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Trubisky is super inconsistent. The supposed haters knock him because you never know what version of him you are going to get. Trubisky fans fixate too much on his great plays instead of his body of work which is underwhelming. The Bears had one of the best playcallers this year and one of the best defenses of the last 5 years. They didn't get a playoff win in large part to how ineffective Trubisky was for 3 quarters of the game. 

He has a bright future, but I don't think there are haters. There are people hyping him up a ton which causes a stark contrast in opinions. He is an average to below average QB right now (15-18 range). He has all the tools to have a bright future if he can be more consistent.

I agree with pretty much everything you said, except I wouldn't peg him as "super" inconsistent. And--there aren't "supposed" haters, there are genuine haters. As in--people who claim he sucks no matter what he does. If you are ignoring the hate, well...don't know what to say to you, really. Collinsworth called that 20 yd. pass to Cohen (during the Bears-Eagles playoff game), "the best pass I've seen him throw"...when anyone who knew football, and actually watched Trubisky without hater goggles on would claim otherwise. The Bortles thing is a codification of all that...we'll take a guy that everyone is coming around to agree is a bust...then we'll link him to this other Trubisky guy we hate--even though their games, and deficiencies, don't really match up--then we'll put that out there as evidence we were right all along. Because us being right trumps anything we see on the field...

Archived