Season Recap

flyingmonkey30

I agree the way we lost has to factor in.  I expected to lose but not at the hands of journeyman RB CJ Anderson. 

I'm not really sure what to do about it, but the loss bothered me even though I predicted it. We didn't lose for the reasons I thought we might. Our Strengths appeared to be weaknesses and I don't know how to address it in the offseason. 

I know our offense struggled most of the year. Even after Amari things weren't exactly crisp. And no light came on, in the playoffs 

30 minutes ago, TVScout said:

You have it backwards. Jerry wanted Johnny more than a better player because Johnny would yield more profit for Jerry.

And how did you come to that conclusion?

Jerry wanted Johnny because Jerry makes dumb decisions.

21 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Not really sure what to say, but I am kind of confused by your point. You are correct, I didn't expect to beat the Rams, we were 7 point underdogs. In the NFL, sometimes really good teams are going to make you look bad.

But as a decision-maker, I'd look at the current state of the Dallas Cowboys and think, "Not bad, if I make some incremental changes and keep improving, I can have a legitimate shot next year." Not "More than a decade ago we had a bad game against the Ravens, and that's going to be a factor in making drastic changes moving forward today".

I guess my point is, going back to the original quote, us losing to the Rams in the second round is neither a good nor a bad thing. It just is. It's the standard. Has been for a while.

And related to that, I would be surprised if we don't run it back with more or less the same team next year- Frederick in for Looney, maybe no Beasley, hopefully D-Law of course. Don't see us spending big on outside FAs, nor a Day 2 pick coming in as unquestioned starter anywhere. You can definitely argue that that's a good thing- we don't have a whole lot of weaknesses on paper. But player development is rarely a straight line trajectory, which brings us to... the coaching staff.

I actually don't think we should axe any of the positional coaches besides Moore- the ST unit is a different, might need a complete overall there. Obviously the big issue is play caller, I agree there still could be a change there... but if there is, then we'll get to see who's really responsible for the genius battle plan of running HB Gut into Suh, Donald, and Brockers aligned in a bear front. I have a feeling his name rhymes with Mason Barrett.

The only day 2 pick I could see coming in as a starter would be if a bigger name TE falls. Maybe WR. Gallup got the fast track and he was a round 3 guy. If we lose Beasley I could see a round 2 WR getting alot of work.

14 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

I guess my point is, going back to the original quote, us losing to the Rams in the second round is neither a good nor a bad thing. It just is. It's the standard. Has been for a while.

And related to that, I would be surprised if we don't run it back with more or less the same team next year- Frederick in for Looney, maybe no Beasley, hopefully D-Law of course. Don't see us spending big on outside FAs, nor a Day 2 pick coming in as unquestioned starter anywhere. You can definitely argue that that's a good thing- we don't have a whole lot of weaknesses on paper. But player development is rarely a straight line trajectory, which brings us to... the coaching staff.

I actually don't think we should axe any of the positional coaches besides Moore- the ST unit is a different, might need a complete overall there. Obviously the big issue is play caller, I agree there still could be a change there... but if there is, then we'll get to see who's really responsible for the genius battle plan of running HB Gut into Suh, Donald, and Brockers aligned in a bear front. I have a feeling his name rhymes with Mason Barrett.

I don't disagree with any of this. Not sure how we got here from the fans, players, and coaches not caring about losing, but I'm happy with where we've ended up, haha.

5 minutes ago, TVScout said:

If he makes so many dumb decisions then why does he have so much money?

To be fair... Jerry never really knew what it was like to be a poor boy:

Jones was born in Los Angeles, California. His family moved to North Little Rock, Arkansas in 1945.[2]Jones' father J.W. "Pat" Jones (1920–1997) and mother Armenita Pearl Clark Jones (1922–2012) married in 1941.[3] They owned two branches of Pat's Super Market in the Rose City neighborhood of North Little Rock.[4][4] Jones was a running back at North Little Rock High School, graduating in 1960. After his graduation, his parents moved to Springfield, Missouri, where Pat was president and chairman of Modern Security Life Insurance Co. The company, which an advertisement billed as a "one in a million" company, saw its assets increase from $440,299.76 in its first statement in 1961 to $6,230,607 in 1965

5 minutes ago, TVScout said:

If he makes so many dumb decisions then why does he have so much money?

Well, 1) Jerry knows business better than he knows football, and 2) Jerry hasn't been making very many dumb decisions in football lately either. 7 of our last 9 first round picks have All-Pros to their names.

4 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Well, 1) Jerry knows business better than he knows football,

Which is why he is pulled in two different directions.

4 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

2) Jerry hasn't been making very many dumb decisions in football lately either. 7 of our last 9 first round picks have All-Pros to their names.

Who actually drafted them, Jerry or Steven or Jason, or.....?

Archived