Season Recap

flyingmonkey30

On the surface, the season was certainly a good one.  Closed out 7-1, won the division title, had a top level defense and running game.  Certainly more than I expected from them.

Still, I never felt confident in this group because as long as Jason Garrett remains the head guy, I will never have confidence that this team will ever do anything significant.  Scott Linehan is a problem as well and should be gone, but we have had issues with predictable/vanilla schemes and playcalling before Linehan was here as well.  He is the definition of mediocrity through 8+ years as HC.

As far as the roster goes, we need to retain Lawrence and find a good 3T to replace the useless David Irving.  And try and get Earl Thomas to pair with Woods to give us a more respectable safety duo.  We can use more receiving options on offense and our line could use some reinforcements.  As for Dak, I have been critical of him this year, but he certainly has a lot of positive qualities and has impressed me down the stretch this year.  That being said, his flaws mean that we need to surround him with a top supporting cast to give him the best chance to succeed.  And if we give him a huge extension, that impacts our ability to surround him with that talent since no team has a perfect drafting record.  So that gives me pause.  I'd see what he does next year before deciding anything, I have my doubts.  I would like to give Zeke a new deal to lock him up for the rest of his prime years.  He is at the center of what we do on offense.

3 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

Does anyone else worry about Zeke’s workload going forward? I get wanting him to have a lot of touches, but he clearly was worn down by the end. He seemed slowed down and gimpy for the last several games. 

Run him into the ground. Don't feel sorry for him and don't give it a second thought.

If CJ Anderson can run for 100 that should tell us many things.

8 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Run him into the ground. Don't feel sorry for him and don't give it a second thought.

If CJ Anderson can run for 100 that should tell us many things.

I get the idea of get everything you can out of him while he’s here, but if it comes down to him limping around in your biggest games of the year what does that really do for you?

3 minutes ago, NoFlyZone said:

I get the idea of get everything you can out of him while he’s here, but if it comes down to him limping around in your biggest games of the year what does that really do for you?

These dudes get paid millions to do a job. Next man up.

2 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

-Fire Linehan, get a better OC

-Re-sign Tank

-Sign Earl Thomas

-Draft a seam busting TE in Round 2

-Get Travis Frederick healthy

Then let’s run this back.

Next year is our down year. 

2020 is when we will be back.

Just now, HDsportsfan said:

These dudes get paid millions to do a job. Next man up.

I’m not sure you’re understanding me. I’m not pitying Zeke. I’m just saying that while giving him the ball a ton during the regular season will win you games, what good is it if your best player is then a shell of himself for the playoffs? 

Just now, NoFlyZone said:

I’m not sure you’re understanding me. I’m not pitying Zeke. I’m just saying that while giving him the ball a ton during the regular season will win you games, what good is it if your best player is then a shell of himself for the playoffs? 

I get that. But the regular games is what gets you to the playoffs. So if there is a concern for him wearing down then we shouldn't redo his rookie deal and find a good backup for him.

9 hours ago, NoFlyZone said:

Does anyone else worry about Zeke’s workload going forward? I get wanting him to have a lot of touches, but he clearly was worn down by the end. He seemed slowed down and gimpy for the last several games. 

I can’t think of one RB in the last 15? Plus years with the running style of Zeke who lasted over 4-5 years yet. That is why I am okay with Dak getting his 25.  We most likely won’t  have Zeke over 5 years to worry about paying

just say NO to ET isn’t the type of person I want as a Dallas Cowboy very me centric doesn’t seem to have much care for his teammates unless he’s the TOP dog 

the resolution of Fredrick will define our season next year  will he back to get our OL back to top 5ish    

Will the powers be happy with Spain and company a improving TE group that could continue to improve 

will second round be D or O

14 hours ago, CAPJ said:

Next year is our down year. 

2020 is when we will be back.

Extremely likely, given how this team has trended under Garrett and the empirical data on single-score game regression over the history of the post-merger NFL

Also something that we absolutely cannot afford to happen given the contractual status of the majority of our star players. Our 2020 FA list is kind of nightmarish.

48 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is like going to the roulette table and seeing Black, Red, Black, Red, Black, and then thinking that the next spin is more likely to be Red because of this "trend".

No it's more like going through the history of the league and noting that teams that went substantially better/worse than .500 in one-score games almost universally regress to the mean in the following year.

And until proven otherwise, I will choose to believe that us following divisional round exits with non-playoff seasons is a trend. We've been doing it for a long time.

Archived