Schefter: Coaching contracts hint at 2021 work stoppage

naptownskinsfan

This shouldn't be a surprise, as revenues are still through the roof, especially for TV contracts.  MLB is getting ready for their own CBA negotiations and there may indeed be a work stoppage there as well.  I am fully expecting the NFLPA is be ready for a knock down, drag out fight as they attempt to get fully guaranteed contracts for the players.

Recent coaching hirings have shined a light on an ugly prospect: that the NFL is starting to set up its fight for a potential work stoppage in 2021 and a disruption of football that season, league sources told ESPN.

In coaching contracts negotiated in the past week, teams are addressing how much each coach would make -- or lose -- in the event of a work stoppage, according to sources.

Teams are trying to protect themselves and save money in the event of missed time, using different percentages for amounts of the football season that could be missed in 2021.

One league source told ESPN that he thought both teams and coaches are confident that there will be some type of disruption, and one of the first signs of it is showing up in the language of coaches' contracts.

That language is also expected to appear in some player contracts being negotiated in free agency; in the third year of those deals, the current collective bargaining agreement is due to expire.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25749860/language-new-coaches-contracts-hints-possible-nfl-work-stoppage-2021

Something I wonder about is whether the union will be looking to revise the handling of rookie deals.  Is there a more unfair contract in sports than that of a successful rookie RB?  Kamara 's 4 year rookie deal pays out a grand total of 3.85M.  At his current rate of usage, what will he have left after 4 years?  5 years?

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Absolutely not. IMO

I wouldn't be against it provided there's a way to offset cutting someone who gets picked up afterwards. They'd also have to change the salary cap situation for dead money and maybe make it so playing incentives don't count. It's worth the conversation for players.

34 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I wouldn't be against it provided there's a way to offset cutting someone who gets picked up afterwards. They'd also have to change the salary cap situation for dead money and maybe make it so playing incentives don't count. It's worth the conversation for players.

I'm just not a fan of players signing deals, getting injured and there being no repercussions for not playing. 

So long as they are ACTUALLY playing, then I don't mind fully guaranteed deals.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Something I wonder about is whether the union will be looking to revise the handling of rookie deals.  Is there a more unfair contract in sports than that of a successful rookie RB?  Kamara 's 4 year rookie deal pays out a grand total of 3.85M.  At his current rate of usage, what will he have left after 4 years?  5 years?

This is a great point. The rookie deal in the NFL is the worst draw for players in all of sports.

However, the problem is that no one in the negotiations is looking after the interests of incoming players signing new rookie deals. The teams are happy to under pay them and the players union is representing players who have either already signed or are finished their rookie deals. The % that goes to all players as a whole is always going to be that 50% or whatever share, and both parties involved in making the CBA are in their best interests to leave a smaller share of the pie for players not yet represented by the union.

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Unlikely given rookie deals kept in check was a major part of the last CBA, it's good for both NFLPA and NFL teams (Money goes to veterans more often than unproven rookies) plus it's lead to the draft being more exciting. 

You'll probably see an uptick in whatever the program is for "Performance bonuses" I forget what it's called but there's something like that the NFL monitors and keeps track of and pays to eligible players.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I'm just not a fan of players signing deals, getting injured and there being no repercussions for not playing. 

So long as they are ACTUALLY playing, then I don't mind fully guaranteed deals.

.....You realize some players can't play through them right? 

Also fully guaranteed deals means we never see a deal longer than 3 years again, which is probably for the best/worst tbh. A high turnover rate has it's upsides for both sides, a player can renegotiate more and doesn't have to worry about getting injured whereas the team isn't on the hook for long term mega contracts anymore (Think Calvin) 

How come we never hear about the coaches union in regards to demands and the like? You'd have to think that at some point, they'd like to have some rules and whatnot changed, particularly with regards to career movement. I mean, at this point in time, some of those rules are very outdated, particularly the ones about positional coaches and coordinators being lateral moves. Its very clear now that a coordinator is a superior position. You'd think that the coaches union would want to have that altered so that position coaches don't require permission to interview for coordinator jobs when they are under contract. It is limiting their upward career mobility. 

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

How come we never hear about the coaches union in regards to demands and the like? You'd have to think that at some point, they'd like to have some rules and whatnot changed, particularly with regards to career movement. I mean, at this point in time, some of those rules are very outdated, particularly the ones about positional coaches and coordinators being lateral moves. Its very clear now that a coordinator is a superior position. You'd think that the coaches union would want to have that altered so that position coaches don't require permission to interview for coordinator jobs when they are under contract. It is limiting their upward career mobility. 

Coaches union has little effect since they don't care, they're the highest paid coaches in sports. As long as they get paid they can deal with the petty b.s the NFL has.

Plus in the grand scope of things, they're irrelevant to the matter considering their revenue split is like what, 5% if that?

1 minute ago, SwoleXmad said:

Coaches union has little effect since they don't care, they're the highest paid coaches in sports. As long as they get paid they can deal with the petty b.s the NFL has.

Plus in the grand scope of things, they're irrelevant to the matter considering their revenue split is like what, 5% if that?

Yeah, I get that with regards to the salary and stuff, they may not care since there is little impact. I'm just really surprised that they don't try and have that rule altered, to be honest. 

1 hour ago, SwoleXmad said:

Unlikely given rookie deals kept in check was a major part of the last CBA, it's good for both NFLPA and NFL teams (Money goes to veterans more often than unproven rookies) plus it's lead to the draft being more exciting. 

You'll probably see an uptick in whatever the program is for "Performance bonuses" I forget what it's called but there's something like that the NFL monitors and keeps track of and pays to eligible players.

.....You realize some players can't play through them right? 

Also fully guaranteed deals means we never see a deal longer than 3 years again, which is probably for the best/worst tbh. A high turnover rate has it's upsides for both sides, a player can renegotiate more and doesn't have to worry about getting injured whereas the team isn't on the hook for long term mega contracts anymore (Think Calvin) 

The intent of the rookie deal restructure in the last CBA was to (correctly) avoid giving top of market contracts to unproven rookies before they ever played a down in the league.  Mission accomplished.  Now the league needs to account for players on rookie deals being vastly underpaid relative to on field performance.  

The performance bonus program is exactly what I would look to change.  Today the bonus is only applied to players making less than 1M.  The pool of eligible players should be expanded to include any player on a rookie deal who is vastly outperforming their contract, and the limit needs to be raised to something well above 1M.

In general, I don't see much downside to fully guaranteed deals with a max length of 3 years.  The longer term deals signed today pretty much always seem out of whack (sometimes for the player, sometimes against) after three years anyway.  QB contracts are probably the exception, but QB contracts pretty much already fall into a completely separate category.

When will people this out.  The NFLPA does not care about Goddell's power.  They have had the opportunity to curb that power twice and have yet to do so.  They dont carm, they never will.  They only care about the money fie their membership.  Just like they dont care one iota about rookies being underpaid.  The rookies are not members.  If there is a work stoppage, of which I'm always skeptical in the NFL bc it's in everybody's best interest to keep things rolling on, it will be bc of the bottom line, be it %, or guarantees.  The ancillary stuff is all just bargaining chips.

Archived