Schefter: Coaching contracts hint at 2021 work stoppage

naptownskinsfan

42 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

When will people this out.  The NFLPA does not care about Goddell's power.  They have had the opportunity to curb that power twice and have yet to do so.  They dont carm, they never will.  They only care about the money fie their membership.  Just like they dont care one iota about rookies being underpaid.  The rookies are not members.  If there is a work stoppage, of which I'm always skeptical in the NFL bc it's in everybody's best interest to keep things rolling on, it will be bc of the bottom line, be it %, or guarantees.  The ancillary stuff is all just bargaining chips.

I think you are 100% wrong that the union doesn't care about the commissioner having unlimited power to hand down player suspensions with no effective way for the union to fight his decisions.

The union not caring about bad rookie deals?  Maybe. 

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think you are 100% wrong that the union doesn't care about the commissioner having unlimited power to hand down player suspensions with no effective way for the union to fight his decisions.

The union not caring about bad rookie deals?  Maybe. 

You have what evidence to support your assumption? I have 2 CBAs where it hasnt even been a topic, as well as multiple renegotiations where it hasnt been brought up.  You have your "belief" that the nflpa cares.  

I'll gladly bet you an internet cookie that the new cba will show no changes to the commissioners power

No worries.  It's fine that we disagree on this.  No way to know how it plays out but wait for the new CBA. The union's focus on the practice schedule during the last CBA negotiation suggests they do in fact worry about things outside of the bottom line.  I fully expect the commish power will be a focus this time around.  Even more so because the owners will gladly reign in the commish in exchange for something the owners actually care about.

40 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:
1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

When will people this out.  The NFLPA does not care about Goddell's power.  They have had the opportunity to curb that power twice and have yet to do so.  They dont carm, they never will.  They only care about the money fie their membership.  Just like they dont care one iota about rookies being underpaid.  The rookies are not members.  If there is a work stoppage, of which I'm always skeptical in the NFL bc it's in everybody's best interest to keep things rolling on, it will be bc of the bottom line, be it %, or guarantees.  The ancillary stuff is all just bargaining chips.

With there being around 2000 players on NFL teams (active roster, IR, Practice squad) the number of suspensions really only affects a very small % of the NFLPA.

Hard for 2000 players getting worked up to help 1-2% of the PA. 

% of revenue for players salary, Thursday night games, 18 game schedule, other player safety changes, health benefits after retirement, etc

Those things affect every member of the PA.

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

With there being around 2000 players on NFL teams (active roster, IR, Practice squad) the number of suspensions really only affects a very small % of the NFLPA.

Hard for 2000 players getting worked up to help 1-2% of the PA. 

% of revenue for players salary, Thursday night games, 18 game schedule, other player safety changes, health benefits after retirement, etc

Those things affect every member of the PA.

I would have agreed with this prior to the Brady suspension.

6 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Something I wonder about is whether the union will be looking to revise the handling of rookie deals.  Is there a more unfair contract in sports than that of a successful rookie RB?  Kamara 's 4 year rookie deal pays out a grand total of 3.85M.  At his current rate of usage, what will he have left after 4 years?  5 years?

It’s how unions work. New guys get screwed so tenured employees are taken care of.

7 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Something I wonder about is whether the union will be looking to revise the handling of rookie deals.  Is there a more unfair contract in sports than that of a successful rookie RB?  Kamara 's 4 year rookie deal pays out a grand total of 3.85M.  At his current rate of usage, what will he have left after 4 years?  5 years?

I'm not sure how this is any different than the prior system.  He was a third round pick.

8 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Players Union is to look out for the Vets, not for rookies. Guys who havent played in the leauge or paid any dues. The reason they put in the rookie wage scale because you had unproven rookie QBs/players like Bradford making $50 million guarteed on a 6yr $86m contract. Why the hell does a rookie deserve that kind of money? Even if their wasnt a rookie scale. Being a 3rd rd pick wouldnt be making lots of money. 

Heck, looking at the last year of no rookie wage scale, the #67 picks' contract was 4 year $2.721 million contract, $930,100 signing bonus

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

I bet it has more to do with him winning 1 playoff game in 5 years

It's possible, but I do think he has done a good job building the team.  You never know, maybe I'll be the one who is surprised if they give him his walking papers next year if we have another early exit. 

9 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I agree 100% for running backs. It's hurting the FA market because of the huge descrepancy in salary levels. 

Running backs are very marketable, they need to make up the extra cash with endorsements imo 

I don't think that current NFL players will fight that hard to give rookies a bigger slice of the pie, and therefore a smaller slice for veteran FAs, but that is rather short sighted 

10 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Rather than fully guaranteed contracts, I think the players are much more likely to look for some kind of counter to the commissioners essentially unchecked power to hand out suspensions.

Maybe the "name" players will, but the #1 priority of the bulk of the voting body (the rank-and-file) of the Players' Union is money - they'll concede disciplinary stuffs if a larger percentage of the pie is dangled in front of them.  

Archived