Schefter: Coaching contracts hint at 2021 work stoppage

naptownskinsfan

10 hours ago, HDsportsfan said:

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be a disruption. The crappy and random suspensions and overall power Goodell is just one of the issues I would imagine. Not to mention countless other.

I agree. There will be some disruption because there always is. I don’t think it will result in the loss of regular season games, though.

That being said, in my opinion, there are three major areas of the CBA (among many others) which need attention and change:

1. The Commissioner’s unchecked abuse of power is one of the more problematic areas. If the NFLPA was smart, they’d do everything they can to have an independent arbitrator rule when a player files an appeal of the suspension or fine, and that ruling must be accepted by the Commissioner. Also, there needs to be much clearer wording in the CBA as to what transgressions constitute what suspensions and for what length of time. The inconsistency is as remarkable as it is appalling.

2. I think that the salary cap needs to be retooled. If they’re going to keep it (which I totally disagree with), then I would try to have the QB position be addressed in a totally separate pool to help teams retain their core players. That, or every team receives a 10% “benefit”’against the salary cap for players whom they drafted (or signed as UDFA) and wish to extend. For example, a player signs a new deal paying him $15M per season, but he only counts $13.5M against the cap because he was drafted by that team. But, a free agent signing from another team has 100% of the salary count against the cap.

3. The NFL drug policy on marijuana. I’m not an advocate of its use by any means, but with it becoming legal in so many states and with the federal government considering removing it from Schedule I or legalizing it entirely, it may be time to remove it from the banned substances list.

2 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

3. The NFL drug policy on marijuana. I’m not an advocate of its use by any means, but with it becoming legal in so many states and with the federal government considering removing it from Schedule I or legalizing it entirely, it may be time to remove it from the banned substances list.

Until its legalize in every state, it shouldn't  change. Leave it as is. Have a clause written in that it can be altered in the future if Legalized throughout. Otherwise to bad.

Millions of people aren't allowed to smoke while employed at their  companies and or at work. No reason NFL players should be any different.

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Until its legalize in every state, it shouldn't  change. Leave it as is. Have a clause written in that it can be altered in the future if Legalized throughout. Otherwise to bad.

Millions of people aren't allowed to smoke while employed at their  companies and or at work. No reason NFL players should be any different.

Do those people also get tackled by 300 pound men on the daily or....?

4 hours ago, plan9misfit said:

I agree. There will be some disruption because there always is. I don’t think it will result in the loss of regular season games, though.

That being said, in my opinion, there are three major areas of the CBA (among many others) which need attention and change:

1. The Commissioner’s unchecked abuse of power is one of the more problematic areas. If the NFLPA was smart, they’d do everything they can to have an independent arbitrator rule when a player files an appeal of the suspension or fine, and that ruling must be accepted by the Commissioner. Also, there needs to be much clearer wording in the CBA as to what transgressions constitute what suspensions and for what length of time. The inconsistency is as remarkable as it is appalling.

2. I think that the salary cap needs to be retooled. If they’re going to keep it (which I totally disagree with), then I would try to have the QB position be addressed in a totally separate pool to help teams retain their core players. That, or every team receives a 10% “benefit”’against the salary cap for players whom they drafted (or signed as UDFA) and wish to extend. For example, a player signs a new deal paying him $15M per season, but he only counts $13.5M against the cap because he was drafted by that team. But, a free agent signing from another team has 100% of the salary count against the cap.

I'm 38 years old.  There have been 2 work stoppages in my lifetime.  1988 and 2011.  The CBA has probably been renewed at least 10 times in that 38 years without disruption.  The 2011 work stoppage occurred during an active cba and was basically forced by the cba itself.  To say there is always a work stoppage is grossly wrong.  

2 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

Who cares? Please tell me you're  not trying to make this a "Medicinal " argument rather then the vast majority in favor ,being recreational?

So by that logic I'm  assuming Baseball players don't apply? Basketball? Soccer?

No!

4 hours ago, EaglesPeteC said:

No one is forcing these players to play football.

There are plenty of other jobs that are physically demanding in health hazard environmental work conditions that earn far less in compensation, are you advocating for them as well?

59 minutes ago, squire12 said:

No one is forcing these players to play football.

There are plenty of other jobs that are physically demanding in health hazard environmental work conditions that earn far less in compensation, are you advocating for them as well?

Sure. I’m not sure why I should care unless they are doing it on the job or it is effecting their performance negatively.

5 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I'm 38 years old.  There have been 2 work stoppages in my lifetime.  1988 and 2011.  The CBA has probably been renewed at least 10 times in that 38 years without disruption.  The 2011 work stoppage occurred during an active cba and was basically forced by the cba itself.  To say there is always a work stoppage is grossly wrong.  

Where did I say there would be a work stoppage? I said that I don’t expect the loss of any regular season games. Hence, no work stoppage.

4 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Where did I say there would be a work stoppage? I said that I don’t expect the loss of any regular season games. Hence, no work stoppage.

I misunderstood then, my apologies, I saw you say there would be a disruption bc there always is, and thought you meant a work stoppage.  Most of the time these deals are done at the last hour of the deadline.

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I misunderstood then, my apologies, I saw you say there would be a disruption bc there always is, and thought you meant a work stoppage.  Most of the time these deals are done at the last hour of the deadline.

Distruption takes place in many forms in CBA negotiations, but it rarely results in lost work time. 

30 minutes ago, muncher said:

owners should just offer no drug testing and no discipline for off field behavior. beat, rape, assault, and steal all you want and keep everything else the same.......players would love it.

The players would hate it because:

90% of them DON'T screw up and 100% of them rely on money from image-conscious advertisers to pay their salaries

On 1/13/2019 at 11:34 AM, Mazrimiv said:

Something I wonder about is whether the union will be looking to revise the handling of rookie deals.  Is there a more unfair contract in sports than that of a successful rookie RB?  Kamara 's 4 year rookie deal pays out a grand total of 3.85M.  At his current rate of usage, what will he have left after 4 years?  5 years?

I agree completely. The overpaid top 10 picks, and the vets at the time of the last CBA kind of screwed the current NFL players. Under the CBA, players don't get real money until year 5 (seconds-UDFA) or 6 (first rounds). Since the average life cycle of a NFL player is 4 years,  you have only like 2-3 players getting paid on contract 2. You can also see this in team's salary caps. Usually there are like 7 players making 10m+ 

Picking 3 random teams on Spotrac

Cinci- 11 players averaging over 5M a year (7 over 10)

GB- 12 players averaging over 5M (8 over 10M)

Tampa- 12 over 5M (7 over 10M)

It is too bad the current NFL players wouldn't vote for upping rookie contracts, since if they do, it would negatively impact the current players in the NFL (taking cap money from them).

Either way though, players should fight to shorten rookie deals to 2 years with 1 year of RFA (that guarantees like top 10 pay for the position). It would cause chaos early, but once normalized, it would work out. (I'd also throw in getting rid of veteran minimums, since it doesn't really help vets get jobs.).

Archived