NFC Championship Game - @ Saints

RamRod

22 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Looks like they'll be without Rankins.

Still going to need the IOL to play like they did against Dallas (or thereabouts, from my vantage point in the Coliseum on Saturday night, it looked to me like Sullivan had his best game of the season).  That - and we manage to avoid Vinovich so that we don't have more than one momentum-swinging calls go against us when they shouldn't have - and we've got a decent shot at this game.  We couldn't establish the run with any consistency against them last time - be that their defense getting the best of Gurley, McVay's play-calling getting away from the run too early, or whathaveyou; if the one-two punch of Gurley and Meatball can give us anything remotely close to what we got against Dallas and it's a different game.  Especially since, and I'd have to double-check, but I believe they had Armstead last time and won't this time.  Peters still worries me, especially when he'll line up against Thomas (which you have to anticipate Payton will try to do against given the success he had last time), but if they can just get it through to him to keep Thomas in front of him - and if it comes to it, grab the bastard and eat the penalty to keep him from being beating like a drum.

The nice thing is, what Philly did is likely to be the opposite of what we'll do (Foles was throwing nothing but checkdowns and deep-shots; Goff should work crossers way more and we really need to make good use of sweep plays in this game because they don't have the greatest speed without bringing the safeties up to handle that).  Also, McVay or someone needs to get it across to the defense to "needle but not bite."  There are some large egos on that Saints team - particularly on the defense - who can be chatted at and gotten under the skin of.  Trigger them, at worst it will likely have an effect on their play, it might even get to a point where one of them does something stupid and gets ejected (like Cooper should have been on Saturday when he threw a shot at Peters head - even if Peters was asking for some kind of response).

3 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Still going to need the IOL to play like they did against Dallas (or thereabouts, from my vantage point in the Coliseum on Saturday night, it looked to me like Sullivan had his best game of the season).  That - and we manage to avoid Vinovich so that we don't have more than one momentum-swinging calls go against us when they shouldn't have - and we've got a decent shot at this game.  We couldn't establish the run with any consistency against them last time - be that their defense getting the best of Gurley, McVay's play-calling getting away from the run too early, or whathaveyou; if the one-two punch of Gurley and Meatball can give us anything remotely close to what we got against Dallas and it's a different game.  Especially since, and I'd have to double-check, but I believe they had Armstead last time and won't this time.  Peters still worries me, especially when he'll line up against Thomas (which you have to anticipate Payton will try to do against given the success he had last time), but if they can just get it through to him to keep Thomas in front of him - and if it comes to it, grab the bastard and eat the penalty to keep him from being beating like a drum.

The nice thing is, what Philly did is likely to be the opposite of what we'll do (Foles was throwing nothing but checkdowns and deep-shots; Goff should work crossers way more and we really need to make good use of sweep plays in this game because they don't have the greatest speed without bringing the safeties up to handle that).  Also, McVay or someone needs to get it across to the defense to "needle but not bite."  There are some large egos on that Saints team - particularly on the defense - who can be chatted at and gotten under the skin of.  Trigger them, at worst it will likely have an effect on their play, it might even get to a point where one of them does something stupid and gets ejected (like Cooper should have been on Saturday when he threw a shot at Peters head - even if Peters was asking for some kind of response).

Looks like you're behind in the thread. :(

1 minute ago, The LBC said:

There are not enough profane words to express how utterly crooked this is.  How in the blue hell does this guy get EVERY ONE of our primetime games this season and then also get the most important game of the season?

As I said earlier in the thread, if we get Vinovitch, it means the NFL is stacking the deck to get Brees a final ring.

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

As I said earlier in the thread, if we get Vinovitch, it means the NFL is stacking the deck to get Brees a final ring.

That and they want either the "Brees vs Brady" or "The Two MVP finalists" narrative for the Super Bowl.  I don't think that Vinovich is intentionally bias against us, but there's too much data to demonstrate a pattern at this point for the league to be able to claim ignorance to not seeing it.  Rather, I'd wager they say it and decided, well, we can use that to achieve an end we want.  With the number of crews there are out there, the odds that he'd get all our primetime games AND our conference championship game in the same season are so long there has to be some sort of manipulation from the assignment end.

4 minutes ago, The LBC said:

That and they want either the "Brees vs Brady" or "The Two MVP finalists" narrative for the Super Bowl.  I don't think that Vinovich is intentionally bias against us, but there's too much data to demonstrate a pattern at this point for the league to be able to claim ignorance to not seeing it.  Rather, I'd wager they say it and decided, well, we can use that to achieve an end we want.  With the number of crews there are out there, the odds that he'd get all our primetime games AND our conference championship game in the same season are so long there has to be some sort of manipulation from the assignment end.

It's just wrong. There's no justification for him reffing this game again. Putting aside how terrible he and his crew were earlier this year in the same game, it makes zero sense that you'd assign him to a game he already reffed when so many other refs are available and didn't ref this game. There's no reason not to put him on NE/KC. It's just totally bogus. It's clear what they're doing. It's hard to stomach it. If he screws us like he has in the past, I might call it quits with the NFL. I love NFL football more than just about anything, but this one will be hard to swallow (especially after the NE/STL SB).

8 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

We should start a petition to get him removed 

How would we go about that? I feel like Rams fans on twitter have been pretty great lately and there's a small chance it could get a little movement.

Obviously the NFL would never actually switch them off, but any public notice could force them to call it straight down the center in fear of public backlash. 

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

So $hitty, just so so $hitty. Not sure how the NFL can justify this ESPECIALLY when they already ref'd the game earlier in the season. It's hard enough winning in the Superdome now we gotta beat the Saints and the refs. I agree the NFL just wants their Brees/Brady superbowl for ratings.

1 hour ago, JonStark said:

How would we go about that? I feel like Rams fans on twitter have been pretty great lately and there's a small chance it could get a little movement.

Obviously the NFL would never actually switch them off, but any public notice could force them to call it straight down the center in fear of public backlash. 

Yeah we should try to figure it out and be vocal about it. We could @ some big media people on Twitter and see if that gets some traction

11 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

We should start a petition to get him removed 

2 hours ago, JonStark said:

48 minutes ago, Riftty said:

Yeah we should try to figure it out and be vocal about it. We could @ some big media people on Twitter and see if that gets some traction

Yeah, pushing it on Twitter seems like a good idea. We could also come up with a form email and have as many Rams fans as we could get email the NFL League Office about it.

Looking into this petition thing. 99% chance it's a waste of time but even if there's the smallest of chances it does anything, it's worth it. Will post the link at lunch here, twitter, and the mobsquad facebook group I'm on that's super active. 

Archived